Hill Bros: Stephen Signed/Bradley wants out

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle

S Hill attracting attention from GC and being an uncontracted free agent next season.

B Hill allegedly wanted out to go to the Hawks last season and will peruse a trade this season back to the Hawks.

Do posters think Freo will hold onto both players who are needed for thier outside run and carry?

Freo IMO will get some value for B Hill as he's in super form and is contacted. S Hill obviously not so much. Having said that Freo need both players if they are to continue climbing the ladder over the next few seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
Because it deserves it's own thread. S Hill has been a champion of the club. B Hill is a talent.

It's more than just players requesting trades but the impact it could have on Freo moving forward. This could hamper Freo's rebuild and top 4 aspirations.

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
Looks like more junk journalism. Why would anyone want to go to the Hawks or GC at the moment.

GC = big money for S Hill. It's not junk journalism as GC have been widely reported to be interested in Hill.

It's been reported for a while that B Hill has approached Freo for a trade backto the Hawks. What isn't known is how interested are the Hawks.

Sep 24, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
GC = big money for S Hill. It's not junk journalism as GC have been widely reported to be interested in Hill.

It's been reported for a while that B Hill has approached Freo for a trade backto the Hawks. What isn't known is how interested are the Hawks.

I doubt Freo will want to trade Hill back before 2020. His form and the team build open our window for a premiership.

Jan 23, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle

BHill coming home for family, Clarkson saying the only reason they let him go was for family reasons.
If SHill gets a godfather offer from the Suns and BHill aware of this and his girlfriend unhappy in WA all makes sense to me why he would go back to where he won 3 premierships.
Hawks would love him. Perfect age to compliment Mitchell, omeara, (Coniglio?).

Things may have Changed this year with the on field fortunes of the club turning for both a hawks and Freo. Key to this is Brads partner and how happy she is in WA.

Aug 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I find it surprising that GC would be seriously into Shill. He is known to be reserved, thus hard to see him providing a lot of leadership, except by example, he is currently injury prone and he is 29, so probably won’t be there if GC build to finals action. This is no reflection on Stephen. I hope we get him on the park and playing his best footy. This would be a big boost.

Bhill, who knows? He is extremely important to us and would be a huge loss.

Sweetback

Cancelled
Dec 23, 2014
If it works out that Stephen opts to go for a final salary to set himself up for life and it means we get a compo pick to pick up the likes of a Kelly or Cogs then I’m fine with it. Brad I’d keep for the rest of his contract while our window is opening.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

b.Hill himself said that was complete nonsense. He is great mates with Walters and moved to WA to play with his brother..

I dont like how definitive the article is.

Dont think we can afford to lose Brad Hill, arguably our most important player and we wont be able to replace that running power and delivery. I really really hope that isnt true.

Not concerned about Shilly, he's just arguing over contract length I'd imagine

freo for life

Senior List
Mar 22, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fake news written all over it , these so called journalists just make crap up . It’s pretty obvious both Hill’s are happy where they are.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Wasn't Fox the source of the original BHill rumours? It seems a very strange thing to do to request a trade in the middle of the year when the team's and his personal form is bubbling along nicely.

Maybe his partner's longing for Melbourne, but they'd already be aware of that, if there's anything in the original rumour that is. So it'd be more a case of ongoing support and accommodation for that situation.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I dont like how definitive the article is.

Dont think we can afford to lose Brad Hill, arguably our most important player and we wont be able to replace that running power and delivery. I really really hope that isnt true.

Not concerned about Shilly, he's just arguing over contract length I'd imagine
Ethics is never at the top of any Murdoch owned outlet's priority list, especially if they run counter to profits. The more dubious the more conviction required, more's like it.

EDIT:

Below are direct quotes from BHill when he addressed the rumours from last year:

"There's no truth whatsoever (to the reports). I'm happy here. I've moved back home to where I'm from and I've just finished building a house.

"The business opening up soon is a Pilates business and my girlfriend is going to be the head trainer so she's enjoying it over here too. So there's no truth at all to the stories."

I'd say that's more definitive.

Last edited:

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ahhh, the old 'it's in the papers so it's garbage!' paranoia. There's much muck raked in these publications but there were rumours last off-season that Bradley Hill wanted out.

Honestly I would have traded out Stephen a few years ago, I'm happy we kept him because it got us his brother, but I just think he's overrated. For a pick 3 or 4, he never hit the hits he should have. Beautiful skills, majesty on the run, but he just never had the ruthlessness. Brad is half the natural player – shorter, slower, less skillful – but he's got eight times the arrogance and that's why he's five times the player. Stephen going to the Gold Coast works for us all: he gets a huge pay packet and we get to promote a younger player. Not sure if he's the mature head you want leading a young team up at the Suns, but there ya go.

Bradley going would be a huge hit.

But the first few times we played the Hawks, he'd go up to the boys afterwards and cry.

It must be frustrating for him. He has this Hawthorn-instilled run, where you spread, take a bounce, open up the game, look down the ground. Freo's MO has been to stifle, look inward. He's been a revelation for us and really consistent and you'd say he's probably been the difference in 25 games and won them single handedy half a dozen times.

Bradley's been a phenom for Freo.

Two Aboriginal boys even being open to leaving their home town, getting away from a club with a long Indigenous history, and basically agreeing to never play together again says a fair bit I think. It's a bit weird.

I can see them both going as much as Bradley leaving is going to hurt.

It just isn't the right gameplan for him and it's clearly just not the right environment.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wonder if anything happened in Melbourne the last week that needs to be distracted from right before Fremantle play an old Victorian club on the home of football - and they might actually beat them?
Okay, I'll ask this again, but are you just making something up and hypothesising random events?

Or do you know something and you're being extremely obtuse about it?

I know I should expect it by now but fmd these posts...

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Okay, I'll ask this again, but are you just making something up and hypothesising random events?

Or do you know something and you're being extremely obtuse about it?

I know I should expect it by now but fmd these posts...
I know subtlety and nuance aren't really in your wheelhouse but maybe take a breath and join the dots. I'd say T's (seemingly mostly tongue in cheek) referring to the crapstorm that happened in the AFL media last week and having a distraction is good especially if it's about the outsiders. So less overlay than you're putting on.

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know subtlety and nuance aren't really in your wheelhouse but maybe take a breath and join the dots. I'd say T's (seemingly mostly tongue in cheek) referring to the crapstorm that happened in the AFL media last week and having a distraction is good especially if it's about the outsiders. So less overlay than you're putting on.

This may well be true but these mild distractions won't help clubs like Melb because the reality is they are s**t.

Ghost Pig

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Realistically, Stephen would have to have a stunning return to his best form for a sustained patch between now and season's end to get the money he's currently on for his next deal with Freo.

He hasn't been a rock for us through the rebuild thus far and there are young emerging stars who will be requiring pay rises in the near future if all continues as such.

If he can get a significant pay rise and more years on his next contract by going to GC then good luck to him, he will always be a favourite son and he deserves everything he can get before he retires.

Him leaving would not be an indictment on the club, it is simply a case of market value being whatever someone is willing to pay.

Brad by extension came to WA (with his Victorian girlfriend) to play with his brother and if Stephen has confided in him that he will be taking a big retirement check from GC, then, if Brad's girlfriend is homesick and he still loves Hawthorn and Stephen is not a Docker and Hawthorn will take him back, why would Brad stay in WA?

Again this would not be an indictment on the club, it would be an indication of where Brad's loyalties lay and they would lay with family, his partner and the club that drafted him.

Now if this completely unsubstantiated report turns out to be true I'm confident, going off recent form, that freo will make lemons into lemon meringue pie and we all move on with our lives.

Also if this completely unsubstatiated report turns out to be meddling vic-media bullshite I will happily bump this thread when Stephen and Brad receive their premiership medals playing together in the purple before all is said and done.

Back