Hill Bros: Stephen Signed/Bradley wants out

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol obviously no one legit thought Fyfe would give Hill some of his salary. My take on it was that it was a joke based on the reality of the situation (that Hill wants more $$$).

How many time can you use home sickness.
I work away from home for a damn sight less than this Turkey. And how can we get back the front loaded contract.
Play him for another year and see what we can get for him.
P.s. Colin young has the morality of a used car sales man..sneaky snake in the grass..

I'm not shootin this one at you mate, but I can tell you I know of two disasters of friends of mine who "work away" and neither has a family or kids any more. That is a bit different from homesickness with full time in another state, FIFO is good for some terrible for others, it makes lots of money , but it wrecks things too.
Many people thrive on "getting away", thats a problem in itself, unless like some , very few though go for a year make a good pile of money and set themselves up and their family, the thing is simple.
So the point I'm making is there are all sorts of ways, being away from the den , can effect people differently, and it does, but this homesickness thread and the head kicking over it , is weird.

I'm not shootin this one at you mate, but I can tell you I know of two disasters of friends of mine who "work away" and neither has a family or kids any more. That is a bit different from homesickness with full time in another state, FIFO is good for some terrible for others, it makes lots of money , but it wrecks things too.
Many people thrive on "getting away", thats a problem in itself, unless like some , very few though go for a year make a good pile of money and set themselves up and their family, the thing is simple.
So the point I'm making is there are all sorts of ways, being away from the den , can effect people differently, and it does, but this homesickness thread and the head kicking over it , is weird.
No doubt that this can be extremely tough on some. I'm sure the club is sympathetic in this situation & really this also stresses how strange it is that many seem to think Brad to Saints is a done deal. The money he's being offered by them is irrelevant to us getting what's best for the club & if the cash really plays no role in his decision to get back as Colin Young has said, Hill's camp won't mind the fact that there are going to be many more Vic clubs circling that Belly & Co will be chatting to. Much more to play out here.

No doubt that this can be extremely tough on some. I'm sure the club is sympathetic in this situation & really this also stresses how strange it is that many seem to think Brad to Saints is a done deal. The money he's being offered by them is irrelevant to us getting what's best for the club & if the cash really plays no role in his decision to get back as Colin Young has said, Hill's camp won't mind the fact that there are going to be many more Vic clubs circling that Belly & Co will be chatting to. Much more to play out here.
I still think he might go back to Hawthorn , no deal with Coniglio now, no big money needed, he's staying by order of Field Marshall Mclachlan.

Nothing is cut and dried yet, but all this to and fro drives me up the wall.

Bit of a long bow to draw. Half of all marriages end in divorce, you knowing 2 people who work FIFO and got divorced doesn't really mean anything, it's just pure anecdote.

As a counterpoint I have been told by more than 1 friend that they prefer FIFO hours, sure they might not see their kids for 2 weeks, but they get to spend more meaningful chunks of time with them when they do have their time off, instead of just an hour a day they would see them for if they worked a 9 to 5 job.

Bit of a long bow to draw. Half of all marriages end in divorce, you knowing 2 people who work FIFO and got divorced doesn't really mean anything, it's just pure anecdote.

As a counterpoint I have been told by more than 1 friend that they prefer FIFO hours, sure they might not see their kids for 2 weeks, but they get to spend more meaningful chunks of time with them when they do have their time off, instead of just an hour a day they would see them for if they worked a 9 to 5 job.

Absolutely nmate, that is true and I also understand that there are people who mix up that type of lifestyle working and make a huge success, have their families intact. I was simply pointing that sometimes it strikes a few as a bad thing over time, I would suspect the majority make it work .

That is the same thing with footballers young and homesick , only a few suffer it seriously , but it hits them harder than others, and the ones who never mind and stay would be a majority .
If a kid wants to trade back home , I have no problem, and he shouldn't be ridiculed.
But those who make an excuse to move to a better position, but that is detrimental to his club, and homesick is used to get his way, I don't find that honest.

They would be in a small minority, then you get the bloke whose wife just doesn't find it ok , and life goes on a lot longer than footy.

Forgot to add, I do know two friends one lifelong and of course I would not name them, but they have some hard lives and lost families, and as you said divorce is the easiest thing in the world now, if you aren't a stayer , you can get out of responsibilities easily now days, so that subject is not what I was on about.
I simply meant that for some , that life style is, the cause , of break downs, I've seen two, but over many years and they were because of not being home all the time.
But money can draw you away,I never did it , but I'm probably the dumb one , I sure as hell aren't rich , I don't drive a four wheel drive motor car, I don't pull a speed boat around on the back, and I don't live in a giant house, and sometimes I wish I did. My lifetime mate was a tradie made a fortune. Couldn't stop.

But really I'm fine, and I hope every one is, but its not about us, its about a subject, and of course with anecdotes, my knowledge of two individuals I knew were separated by about ten years, and its just that , I'm no expert on marriage but your right split families all over the place.

Are you trying to say FIFO doesn’t have an effect on the national divorce rate? That’s what I’d call drawing a long bow.

That's what I'm saying, yes. Studies have shown that FIFO families are no worse off than anyone else, do you have anything to support your assertion or are you just going with the vibe, Mabo, the constitution etc?

Ask them if they'd still work FIFO if it paid the same.

I can fully understand why people take FIFO jobs, they can earn $200k from doing something that they might get $80k if they worked regular hours in Perth. But you inevitably miss major events in your kids lives that you can never get back and your partner basically has to live like a single parent for most of the year. It's tough.

Either way, not really comparable to Brad Hill with no kids on mid to high 6 figures a year.
We play hardball with him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's what I'm saying, yes. Studies have shown that FIFO families are no worse off than anyone else, do you have anything to support your assertion or are you just going with the vibe, Mabo, the constitution etc?
Only anecdotal evidence I’m afraid.

Smartarse.

Either way, not really comparable to Brad Hill with no kids on mid to high 6 figures a year.
We play hardball with him.
Yeah I think the club has had a reasonable stand with both Weller and Neale. Some whinging happened, but they were contracted. No reason to do any trade unless it makes us stronger, and we should hold to that.

Yeah I think the club has had a reasonable stand with both Weller and Neale. Some whinging happened, but they were contracted. No reason to do any trade unless it makes us stronger, and we should hold to that.
Totally right.

Two years left on low money, we can play hard.

Bell has already told Young, that trading Hill must in the interest of the Club.

Young already in the ears of players to get the deal done ie Acres and Power-Pepper under his management.

Hill ain't going ******* anywhere unless we get a good deal from it. Pick 5 needs to be part of the deal plain and simple. Blake Acres while I'm skeptical about, we badly need depth, and he can fill that void. Take pick 6 and a later pick, and trade that to Geelong and land Kelly. Go to the draft and pick up some good young guns and we finally have a deep midfield with plenty of good players to fill injury voids (not that we'll need it next year hopefully ;))

Do you work fifo?.

Cause it’s you who are talking s**t in terms of fifo has no negative effects on families .
Or maybe it’s your vibe, Mabo ,or the constitution. :rolleyes:

But yeah keep believing your “in the know” about the subject cause you read a government conducted study”- no agenda bias there at all

A report from 5 yrs ago?

Serious question.

Have you ever done FIFO work? and for how long?

When you got to site and opened the door to your 2m x 3m donga and realised this was home for the next 2 weeks, how did it make you feel?

Take pick 6 and a later pick, and trade that to Geelong and land Kelly.
Why include a later pick?

Will they get a better offer from WC so we need to do that? No.

Did they offer "more" for Dangerfield? It looks to me like our pick 6 would be a very similarly valued trade to the one they gave Adelaide when they had them over a barrel, with Dangerfield a hotter prospect than Kelly is now.

We really don't need to be doing any favours here.

A report from 5 yrs ago?

Serious question.

Have you ever done FIFO work? and for how long?

When you got to site and opened the door to your 2m x 3m donga and realised this was home for the next 2 weeks, how did it make you feel?

A rule of thumb for FIFO workers, on average, take 3 people, within 6 months the first person is gone, within 12 months the second person is gone, and the third, if they’re still there after 18 months, they generally stay for the long run.

Why include a later pick?

Will they get a better offer from WC so we need to do that? No.

Did they offer "more" for Dangerfield? It looks to me like our pick 6 would be a very similarly valued trade to the one they gave Adelaide when they had them over a barrel, with Dangerfield a hotter prospect than Kelly is now.

We really don't need to be doing any favours here.
Who’s to say West Coast won’t make a better offer. They will offer pick(a) and a player. Jackson Nelson, Jarrod Brander and Jack Petruccelle all names that have been mentioned along with their first pick.

West Coast also currently have pick 14. If they win their first final that is as low as the pick will go. If it remains pick 14 - will get pushed back to at least 17 (due to GCS PP, with bids on Tom Green and Liam Henry). They also have currently pick 23.

I am continually perplexed about the number of afl players who get homesick or have to be by their family for whatever reason. Seriously? Im sure it’s happened but I can’t remember ever hearing of an nfl, nba, or mlb player getting homesick FFS. I’m truly not trying to take the piss but what is about footy players that makes them so emotionally fragile they need to be by their family while they play footy? You’re making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. Buy a plane ticket for your mom and dad every month. I just don’t get it. Seems like a convenient excuse to me. I’m glad bell said he would do what’s best for the club. Hold Brad to his contract if you don’t get a deal you like. Be strong, Belly!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

In The USA there's around 30 teams spread all over the country, where as half the teams in the AFL are in Melbourne which makes getting home easier.

The guys in America are also paid so much money they can re-locate their families if they want to. That's not an option for most AFL players.

Who’s to say West Coast won’t make a better offer. They will offer pick(a) and a player. Jackson Nelson, Jarrod Brander and Jack Petruccelle all names that have been mentioned along with their first pick.

West Coast also currently have pick 14. If they win their first final that is as low as the pick will go. If it remains pick 14 - will get pushed back to at least 17 (due to GCS PP, with bids on Tom Green and Liam Henry). They also have currently pick 23.
I hope they do, and is the reason I am happy for the club to be in the discussion, but I think our role in this trade is peripheral. In fact if they gave 14 and 23 it would be great, potentially reducing the targeting of WA players.

It would be a pretty unusual trade if Geelong drive it. I think it will be driven by Kelly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back