malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
I really think it's mostly about easy access to Grandma for free babysitting every time. It's not really feasible for someone on even 500k a year to move their entire extended family interstate for a few years. He can earn the same money in a place that's more conveniently located close to existing family, why wouldn't you?
Are you kidding me? Families move OVERSEAS for way less than that. Don't even start to tell me that well paid AFL footballers are doing it tough. I rest my point, the maturity of some of these players is woeful.

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Deal with the Saints. Get a first round pick and Blake Acres. We bolster our list with a big bodied 23 year old that can run and hasn't hit his prime along with a top pick.

I wouldn't want to live in a different state to my AFL player fiance.

Someone is going to end up in bed with someone else, the other one will be insecure about it happening behind her back because she remembers when she met him and how many women have literally thrown themselves at him since.

And it's not even about whether you trust him because you know what's out there just waiting for him to feel like a slip up.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don’t waste your time listening to Hard ball gets podcast. Awful Hill suggestions.

Saying Freo would be happy with a future 1st and a sweetener in later rounds. Gross.
They don’t know what Freo will be happy with. Has to be top 10 pick plus a sweetener (preferably second or third round).

Say St Kilda swap pick 6 and pick 56 (or 2020 3rd round) > 12 & 14

Would 12 & 2020 1st round be suitable trade for BHill?
Absolutely hope Geelong take Petrucelle. Then Eagles would laugh at them in comparison. The guy is just an incredible runner who happens to be quick. Awful footballer.
No way would you even consider him for Kelly. That’s steak knives.
it was always steak knives in addition to picks. Anyway I wrote that before Geelong came out and said they want picks not players.

West Coast will need to get inventive with other teams to get a pick inside the top 10.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Are you kidding me? Families move OVERSEAS for way less than that. Don't even start to tell me that well paid AFL footballers are doing it tough. I rest my point, the maturity of some of these players is woeful.
People do that either because their family situations are more conducive to it or they feel they have no choice (or maybe even they're prioritising material gain over wellbeing and relationships).

But again you're grumbling about the reality of the situation.

Are you seriously trying to say that if you had a choice on where you could work (in essentially the same job) you would choose the least favoured location for you and your family? And given the choice you would place your employer (really it's a department) over your wife/partner and kids wellbeing?

Just because someone else is doing it tougher doesn't mean you aren't doing it tough too.

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Would 12 & 2020 1st round be suitable trade for BHill?

I doubt they would deal that to us on top of pick 12. I'm picking them to finish 2nd last. The only side I see as definitely worse than them is GC. Maybe they will surprise, but even then, I don't think they can really do much better than this year.

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
People do that either because their family situations are more conducive to it or they feel they have no choice (or maybe even they're prioritising material gain over wellbeing and relationships).

But again you're grumbling about the reality of the situation.

Are you seriously trying to say that if you had a choice on where you could work (in essentially the same job) you would choose the least favoured location for you and your family? And given the choice you would place your employer (really it's a department) over your wife/partner and kids wellbeing?

Just because someone else is doing it tougher doesn't mean you aren't doing it tough too.
I'm not talking about choice. I'm talking about so many players that complain about hardship when choosing a profession that is interstate and has a draft. They knowingly do this.
I am not begrudging anyone who is out of contract and makes their choice, that's their prerogative. It is more in reference to some of the 'reasons' for contracted players wanting out. Maturity and independence isn't a strong suit of many players it seems.

trentjac

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wouldn't want to live in a different state to my AFL player fiance.

Someone is going to end up in bed with someone else, the other one will be insecure about it happening behind her back because she remembers when she met him and how many women have literally thrown themselves at him since.

And it's not even about whether you trust him because you know what's out there just waiting for him to feel like a slip up.
Trust issues much? 😉

If St K trade Bruce and Carlisle - I'd be pulling the trigger on the 2020 1st and if I could get anything near a top 10 this year - you'd be pretty happy.

Alternatively just put in the option to swap first round picks next year and go for their 1st rounder this year.

Next year you'd be looking at anywhere between pick 2 and 3.

Impossible for us to lose this deal unless we panic.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm not talking about choice. I'm talking about so many players that complain about hardship when choosing a profession that is interstate and has a draft. They knowingly do this.
I am not begrudging anyone who is out of contract and makes their choice, that's their prerogative. It is more in reference to some of the 'reasons' for contracted players wanting out. Maturity and independence isn't a strong suit of many players it seems.
What do you mean you're "not talking about choice", it's all about choice. Players who reach a certain level of talent/desirability get that choice. It's as simple as that. It's certainly a positive thing if it helps players get more balance in their lives. Likely you're just reading how you think things "should be", rather than seeing them for as they are.

Contracts in the AFL world impact on negotiations re what a trade will cost or how much of a payout might be required, but they aren't lock down bindings. Contracts are dependent on the system they're created in as to how binding they are. The AFL favours more player movement as does the market to those players with greater market demand.

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
What do you mean you're "not talking about choice", it's all about choice. Players who reach a certain level of talent/desirability get that choice. It's as simple as that. It's certainly a positive thing if it helps players get more balance in their lives. Likely you're just reading how you think things "should be", rather than seeing them for as they are.

Contracts in the AFL world impact on negotiations re what a trade will cost or how much of a payout might be required, but they aren't lock down bindings. Contracts are dependent on the system they're created in as to how binding they are. The AFL favours more player movement as does the market to those players with greater market demand.
Actually they are locked down bindings. The club can choose not to deal the player and the player can choose not to play for the length of the contract. eg. Kelly last year.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Actually they are locked down bindings. The club can choose not to deal the player and the player can choose not to play for the length of the contract. eg. Kelly last year.
Neale says hi. But you've hit on it there, it's all around the willingness by the parties involved, the contracts are only a partial ingredient and act most as a backstop and/or guide.

In Kelly's case the willingness of the cats to enforce the contract was relevant to the status of the market. Because Kelly was only a year into his career the Cats felt they had more hand and were willing to test it.

But like McCarthy's case club will relent if push comes to shove, particularly the higher slice of their salary cap is tied up in a player that decides to sit it out or become disaffected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bushchook

All Australian
Dec 9, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle

They do it because they have no choice, many players hate the fact that they can be drafted interstate, but there's nothing they can do about it except what Kelly and Hill have done. That is, become such a good player that you can play anywhere you want.

Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Wimbledon AFC
So can we expect all the half decent Melbourne players will.go home. Langdon, snake in the grass ex west Australian balldragger brad hill... wait. Thats it 😭

Patty_Moz

Club Legend
Aug 8, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
If St K trade Bruce and Carlisle - I'd be pulling the trigger on the 2020 1st and if I could get anything near a top 10 this year - you'd be pretty happy.

Alternatively just put in the option to swap first round picks next year and go for their 1st rounder this year.

Next year you'd be looking at anywhere between pick 2 and 3.

Impossible for us to lose this deal unless we panic.

Hmm... I wouldn’t be offering our 1st to anyone next season. We about to lose 2 of our best 5 players from this year and we’re certainly not a team who’s guaranteed to improve. I’d say with no Hill/Langdon, the same s&c team, a new coach and a new gameplan we’re just as likely to be holding pick 2 as the Saints are.

Yeti

Premiership Player
Feb 17, 2012
Newcastle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hmm... I wouldn’t be offering our 1st to anyone next season. We about to lose 2 of our best 5 players from this year and we’re certainly not a team who’s guaranteed to improve. I’d say with no Hill/Langdon, the same s&c team, a new coach and a new gameplan we’re just as likely to be holding pick 2 as the Saints are.

If we lose Hill and Langdon we should go to the draft. Try and get 5-6 top 30 picks this year and hopefully set us up with a solid midfield to compliment what SHOULD be a good spine (Pearce / Hamling / Darcy / Lobb / Hogan).

Hey ...in my world we're top 4 next year.

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
We could easily be bottom 4 next year and you can make a case for top 4 as well, depending on injuries.
If at the start of this season you had gone into the 'Ross the Boss' thread and said: 'Both Brad Hill and Langdon are going to do their knees in round 1, but the rest of the best 22 will remain intact bar the odd week or two for the rest of the year, therefore we are inevitably going to finish bottom four'. What do you think is likely to have been a common opinion on this?

Given the depth of turnover we have had, performance is going to be strongly correlated to availability.

May 13, 2007
Radelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Glasgow Warriors
Generally speaking if our outside run isn't mature but out marking talls are we can make a game plan out of skipping over the short pass (because nobody is loose) to long bomb it forward.

How lucky is that.

Just need the sports science guys to find a way of actually keeping our tall forwards on the field and we’ll be fine then.
:think:

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
I say just trade Brad to whoever gives us the best possible deal. It shouldn't just be limited to St Kilda, if Melbourne or the Bulldogs offer a better deal then deal with them. If nobody gives a good deal, then keep him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back