Hill Bros: Stephen Signed/Bradley wants out

Purpellian Anchor

Purple Admiralty
Oct 14, 2011
Northam
AFL Club
Fremantle
Anyone got a read or the inside word on how BHilly would likely react if we were to apply some Geelong-style trade posturing? I mean, is he the kind of bloke who would play the “i’ll sit on the sidelines for a year if I have to” card? Based on nothing at all, I’d say he wouldn’t but either way I want us to play this like Trump.

just laughed when I read this as today Trump sacked his security adviser...did'nt like his moustache- and they were always disagreeing with one another.
but yeah, we hold our ground.

Purpellian Anchor

Purple Admiralty
Oct 14, 2011
Northam
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm not happy he wants to leave, and I do want the club to play hard-ball with the situation, as we did with Weller and Neale. It is quite reasonable given that he is part of the club's planning for another 2 years. It isn't up to us to get the deal right, it is up to Hill's manager and the destination club.

We use the word hardball...but I don't have a problem countering the word empathy as an expectation from Brad and his Manager back to the club. Cuts both ways.

It perhaps gets forgotten sometimes that they are employed into a team/squad/club, and as such while in contract there should be concern to that end by the player.

I don't think Brad is disloyal to that, can't always plan ahead for personal situations that turn things upside down.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
So the new thing is to have your contract front loaded and leave when your salary decreases for a bigger offer.
Maybe clubs should try to shuffle some cash into the last year of the contract too. So you have it heavily front-loaded into the first year, then the amount starts to trend down, before the last year is close to or actually the most lucrative.

Nodgey

Premiership Player
Aug 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SDFC, Liverpool, Scorchers
Wasn't the story also that Gary Ablett's contract at Gold Coast had been heavily front loaded, which made things awkward when he wanted back to Geelong. We're certainly seeing a trend for players to bugger off once the pay level drops...

Nter1

Debutant
Aug 31, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm just wondering if those of you, who are critical of BHill and advocating for Fremantle to make BHill honour his Fremantle contract, spoke as loud in 2016 when Hill requested a transfer from Hawthorn to Fremantle?

Did Hill have two years left of a front loaded contract for the Hawks?

Different circumstances

You don't win premierships from being a charity case. Unless Freo can get overs I wouldn't entertain it.

PurpleEyes

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Did Hill have two years left of a front loaded contract for the Hawks?

Different circumstances

You don't win premierships from being a charity case. Unless Freo can get overs I wouldn't entertain it.

He had one year left on his contract and made the trade request on the basis of wanting to go home to play along side his brother.
He likely went to a new contract worth far more than the Hawks would have offered.
Now Freo fans who were happy at the end of 2016 are now crying to Mama because he has 2 years left and wants a trade again due to personal reasons and again likely to a better paying position.

The Hawks got pick 23 for a 3 time premiership player who was 3 years younger than what we are talking about.
Even I am saying we should expect something like pick 6 in return for his trade. I'm pretty sure we will get better than pick 23 which makes Hawks the charity case, not us.

Fireballs

The Knife!
Jan 29, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Now Freo fans who were happy at the end of 2016 are now crying to Mama because he has 2 years left and wants a trade again due to personal reasons and again likely to a better paying position.

Do you expect Fremantle fans to be happy about a key Fremantle player leaving when contracted ?

We are Fremantle supporters, not hawks supporters.

jedi mind tricks

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Dream State
AFL Club
Fremantle
He had one year left on his contract and made the trade request on the basis of wanting to go home to play along side his brother.
He likely went to a new contract worth far more than the Hawks would have offered.

The Hawks got pick 23 for a 3 time premiership player who was 3 years younger than what we are talking about.
Even I am saying we should expect something like pick 6 in return for his trade. I'm pretty sure we will get better than pick 23 which makes Hawks the charity case, not us.

3x premiership player because Hawks had the best playersin the comp playing around him. He's an improved player since he left.

We git a fair trade and Freo shouldn't trade him unless they are compensated fully. Otherwise Freo will never stop rebuilding. Buy low sell high or company will not survive.

Nter1

Debutant
Aug 31, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle

If Freo don't get pick 5/6 or more then you might as well fold the club.

Better than pick 23... I'd like to be buying product off you

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Do you expect Fremantle fans to be happy about a key Fremantle player leaving when contracted ?

You can be unhappy about him leaving and still refrain from calling him or his partner names. We are not Hawks supporters.

Edit: General You here, not accusatory You

PurpleEyes I think pick 6 is close to B. Hill’s value. I would be disappointed in my club (again) if we only got his value in a trade. Contracted players deserve a trade well above value, especially if there is still two years to run on the contract.

PurpleEyes

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle

I'm not happy BHill is going. But nothing is going to change by crying about it.
The guy has requested a trade. Live with it. Make the best possible deal and move on. It's what Hawthorn did ... for pick 23. I'm saying we should do it for pick 6 or better. If we don't get the trade done, then I darn well hope it's not from a lack of trying because he will be worth less in 12 more months and he will still want to be traded and Freo won't be any closer to a premiership.

Nter1

Debutant
Aug 31, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm not happy BHill is going. But nothing is going to change by crying about it.
The guy has requested a trade. Live with it. Make the best possible deal and move on. It's what Hawthorn did ... for pick 23. I'm saying we should do it for pick 6 or better. If we don't get the trade done, then I darn well hope it's not from a lack of trying because he will be worth less in 12 more months and he will still want to be traded and Freo won't be any closer to a premiership.

Why won't Freo be closer to a premiership?

PurpleEyes

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why won't Freo be closer to a premiership?

Struth, do I really need to explain this?

If BHill is not likely to be playing for Fremantle in our future seasons when we are more likely to win a premiership, then it is logical to replace him sooner rather than later.
Denying his trade request and forcing him to play in 2020 is not going to give us extra on field leadership.
It will not improve player morale having a player who doesn't want to be there and is counting the weeks to the next trade period.
We are not likely to win a premiership in the next year or two by making him stay at Freo for the duration of his contract.
Then when he leaves, we still need to find that replacement winger who will hopefully be with us when we do win a premiership sometime in the future.

Do posters really believe that making him play out his contract in 2020 (and 2021) will result in him staying at Freo forever?
It amazes me how often I see posts where emotion takes over logic.
Emotion tells me I want him to stay at Freo and help us win a premiership ... but what I want and what is reality are worlds apart and back in the real world, our best future given BHill's trade request is to get a good trade and move on.

Clems Knee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Struth, do I really need to explain this?

If BHill is not likely to be playing for Fremantle in our future seasons when we are more likely to win a premiership, then it is logical to replace him sooner rather than later.
Denying his trade request and forcing him to play in 2020 is not going to give us extra on field leadership.
It will not improve player morale having a player who doesn't want to be there and is counting the weeks to the next trade period.
We are not likely to win a premiership in the next year or two by making him stay at Freo for the duration of his contract.
Then when he leaves, we still need to find that replacement winger who will hopefully be with us when we do win a premiership sometime in the future.

Do posters really believe that making him play out his contract in 2020 (and 2021) will result in him staying at Freo forever?
It amazes me how often I see posts where emotion takes over logic.
Emotion tells me I want him to stay at Freo and help us win a premiership ... but what I want and what is reality are worlds apart and back in the real world, our best future given BHill's trade request is to get a good trade and move on.

In his book, Pav talked about how he rang the Freo list manager and asked to be traded. The manager replied with a flat no. And that was that.
There are also examples of Sydney players wanting to leave but being held to their contract. And then extending their
contract.

One thing we do know that Hill has played his best footy for Freo. He must enjoy it here. If no trade is organised this year, he will probably still enjoy playing here, before asking to be traded again next year to return to Victoria to be with his partner.

Losing both our wings will definitely hurt Fremantle. It would be far better for the development of the team if one of them remained. Brad Hill helped Freo win games. Holding on to him is not a bad option for Freo, and is not a terrible one for Hill. Unlike the McCarthy situation, this is less about the players mental health than it is about someone else’s.

Having said that, Fremantle should be open to Hill’s wish to return. If St. Kilda are prepared to offer a huge salary to tempt him above more obvious suitors, then they should also be prepared to offer a much more than fair trade for him. I will be disappointed if we get just a pick 5 for him, because I think that’s fair. And fair isn’t good enough.
I will be disgusted if we accept a pick in the teens for him, because that trade would be heavily in St Kilda’s favour.
If Bell publicly states that Hill is contracted and that there will be no negotiations with any other team, I would be just as disgusted. Talk, and if a good enough deal presents itself, accept it.

Patty_Moz

Club Legend
Aug 8, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Interesting to see how it plays out. Pick 5 is definitely overs for Brad Hill so I’d take that. I’d also be interested in lower 1st round picks and a player or future draft pick but that depends on what the offer actually is. I’d also happily hold him to contract for another year.

Taking a leaf out of Bris’ book I think it’s best to trade players out who don’t want to be here, have a strong draft, try extract some value from fa’s/dfa’s or very cheap trades and every couple of years look to trade in an a grader.

Palmervich

All Australian
Oct 2, 2008
Rangelands
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Interesting to see how it plays out. Pick 5 is definitely overs for Brad Hill so I’d take that. I’d also be interested in lower 1st round picks and a player or future draft pick but that depends on what the offer actually is. I’d also happily hold him to contract for another year.

Taking a leaf out of Bris’ book I think it’s best to trade players out who don’t want to be here, have a strong draft, try extract some value from fa’s/dfa’s or very cheap trades and every couple of years look to trade in an a grader.

Is it though? Brad has an offer on the table for 900k a year, I believe that’s equal to more than what Neale left for, and is apparently more than what Geelong and West Coast are offering Kelly. Why is it that Kelly is worth 2 first round picks ( or 3 picks in the top 30) And Hill is worth a mid first round pick?

Patty_Moz

Club Legend
Aug 8, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is it though? Brad has an offer on the table for 900k a year, I believe that’s equal to more than what Neale left for, and is apparently more than what Geelong and West Coast are offering Kelly. Why is it that Kelly is worth 2 first round picks ( or 3 picks in the top 30) And Hill is worth a mid first round pick?

Yes. On an open market, uncontracted Hill is worth a pick in the teens. He isn’t a superstar pick 5 is sufficiently over IMO.

Your other points are simply speculation and don’t really justify anything in Hill’s trade value. Nobody really knows the value of Hill’s contract and I highly doubt it’s 4yr x $900k. It’s very convenient that Freo BF supporters who never believe anything in the media now have it as gospel that Hill is on some sort of multiple yr $900k contract because someone mentioned something in a dodgy newspaper article somewhere. I’m not exactly buying it.

That trade hasn’t occurred. Geelong want those picks but it’s very unlikely they get them. Melb wanted a lot more than we gave them for Hogan. Also no one is saying TK is worth 2x top 5 picks and it will probably end up being a couple of picks in the teens or pick 14 & 22.

Do you honestly think that if Hill wasn’t contracted we’d be getting pick 5 for him?

PurpleEyes

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
In his book, Pav talked about how he rang the Freo list manager and asked to be traded. The manager replied with a flat no. And that was that.
There are also examples of Sydney players wanting to leave but being held to their contract. And then extending their
contract.

One thing we do know that Hill has played his best footy for Freo. He must enjoy it here. If no trade is organised this year, he will probably still enjoy playing here, before asking to be traded again next year to return to Victoria to be with his partner.

Losing both our wings will definitely hurt Fremantle. It would be far better for the development of the team if one of them remained. Brad Hill helped Freo win games. Holding on to him is not a bad option for Freo, and is not a terrible one for Hill. Unlike the McCarthy situation, this is less about the players mental health than it is about someone else’s.

Having said that, Fremantle should be open to Hill’s wish to return. If St. Kilda are prepared to offer a huge salary to tempt him above more obvious suitors, then they should also be prepared to offer a much more than fair trade for him. I will be disappointed if we get just a pick 5 for him, because I think that’s fair. And fair isn’t good enough.
I will be disgusted if we accept a pick in the teens for him, because that trade would be heavily in St Kilda’s favour.
If Bell publicly states that Hill is contracted and that there will be no negotiations with any other team, I would be just as disgusted. Talk, and if a good enough deal presents itself, accept it.

Last year, the news was that Geelong were asking for the equivalent (using the AFL points-draft-value system) of a #4 pick (EDIT: recalculated points) for Tim Kelly (still contracted), who was about 24 at the time.
We traded Neale (still contracted), who was 25 at the time, for the equivalent of #3 pick.
We traded in Hogan (still contracted), who was 23 at the time for the equivalent of #2 pick.
I would suggest talk of #5 or 6 pick for BHill (still contracted), who will be about 26, in the context of the above examples, would be more than fair. Would I like more? Do I think BHill is worth more to us than a #5 pick? Yes, but I'm just trying to be realistic in today's age and market.

And times have changed. Whether you/I like it or not. BHill has officially requested a trade (like Neale). Pav did not. Pav's example is an era long past when player welfare was rarely (if ever) a topic of concern and player movements were not as common.
I'm curious as to the details of these Sydney players who officially requested trades.
Can anybody actually give me an example of a player officially requesting a trade and it not being done in recent years ... apart from Cam McCarthy ( who is a strong argument for why you should just get the deal done).

Last edited:
Can anybody actually give me an example of a player officially requesting a trade and it not being done in recent years ... apart from Cam McCarthy ( who is a strong argument for why you should just get the deal done).

Brad Hill 2018.

This will be heavily influenced by player managers releasing the story to the media as a means of pushing the process along, without which we wouldn't be aware of it at all.

Bryce Gibbs is another.

Last edited:
Back