Feb 18, 2003
home of the mighty sa
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Tottenham
From ABC (US) News:

Details on Hillary-Barack Meeting

ABC News' Martha Raddatz reports: President-elect Barack Obama met with Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y., Thursday in Chicago to discuss the possibility of the senator becoming secretary of state.

A source with knowledge of the transition process describes the meeting as not a hard offer. Obama is more cautious than that.

He is doing this more elegantly, but a source said Obama took a big step toward Hillary. They had a long private meeting in which they talked about their philosophies and what had transpired during the campaign.

He was extremely respectful, saying she was great, and giving her a huge amount of support. He said that he knew how much she cared about health care but said there are other challenges, and wanted to reach out to her about secretary of state.

They were both cautious but again took a big step toward her. She reciprocated.

Obama does not want to be seen as being rejected by her, but it is “hers to turn down,” one source put it.

They have an agreement to have another meeting or phone conversation about this very soon.

ABC News has also confirmed that New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson met with Obama in Chicago today, per a Democratic source. Richardson has also been rumored to be a candidate for the Secretary of State position.

I start this thread to give the boyos an opportunity to surpass the Palin-hate threads.

From ABC (US) News:

I start this thread to give the boyos an opportunity to surpass the Palin-hate threads.

I'd be surprised if Clinton were made Sec of State. They were at odds over Iraq, and she's consistently been more hawkish than Obama. Would be a surprising selection, for mine.

Never hated Hillary (or Palin, for that matter).

I always thought she'd be more likely to be Health and Human Services Secretary given how large a part of her campaign revolved around improving healthcare.

She was always going to get a cabinet role though.

It certainly makes more sense than a lesser portfolio like health. This is actually something worth leaving the Senate for.

Still, you wonder about her relationship with Obama. Even her election eve endorsement in one of the New York Daily News was pretty perfunctory. No unique insights about the man she battled with for the best part of 18 months. No reference to any of his personal qualities. Just a bland endorsment of the candidate and his platform, and a similar denunciation of the Republicans.

I've never got the sense that Clinton respects Obama. Why does she want to work underneath him?

It certainly makes more sense than a lesser portfolio like health. This is actually something worth leaving the Senate for.

Still, you wonder about her relationship with Obama. Even her election eve endorsement in one of the New York Daily News was pretty perfunctory. No unique insights about the man she battled with for the best part of 18 months. No reference to any of his personal qualities. Just a bland endorsment of the candidate and his platform, and a similar denunciation of the Republicans.

It's an interesting one. If he did appoint her it would further signal his Clintonista neo-liberal intentions given the staff appointments he's made so far.

Would also have to be seen as a logical follow on from the national security briefings he's been given. In my mind, Condi Rice has probably been the best and most effective SoS the US has ever had and Hillary mirrors most of Condi's attributes. If Condi's spadework has been that good, then Obama wouldn't want to appoint a hack like Kerry or Richardson or a yesterday's man like Holbrooke (tho he's a better choice than those two)

I've never got the sense that Clinton respects Obama. Why does she want to work underneath him?

Would have no doubt whatsoever that if Obama offers it to her, she would take it. For all the above reasons, particularly because of what Rice would be leaving her to work with and finish off, and also it would be a crowning achievement for her.

The economic/financial meltdown means that all her cherished domestic agenda she could push in the Senate will be on hold, so why not?

I always thought she'd be more likely to be Health and Human Services Secretary given how large a part of her campaign revolved around improving healthcare.

She was always going to get a cabinet role though.

Hearing reports about Bill Richardson at State....would be a very solid choice, IMO....

Howard Dean has also hinted at H and HS....and as the architect of the victory, I think he could choose his spot.

In my mind, Condi Rice has probably been the best and most effective SoS the US has ever had and Hillary mirrors most of Condi's attributes.

Let me guess... You think that Showgirls is the greatest film ever made, that Michael Bolton is the greatest singer, that Jayson Daniels is the best kick of a footy, and that Spam is food of the gods.

Be honest: I'm close, aren't I?

Wouldn't it be harder for Clinton to make a run at 2012 nomination from inside the cabinet?

What has Hilary ever done to suggest that she would be capable of filling any position of importance?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let me guess... You think that Showgirls is the greatest film ever made, that Michael Bolton is the greatest singer, that Jayson Daniels is the best kick of a footy, and that Spam is food of the gods.

Be honest: I'm close, aren't I?

Good one!!!

Obama would be having flashbacks to "Hillarycare" if Hillary was appointed as Secretary for Health.

I'd also be inclined to think that Hillary would prefer to remain in the Senate than take on such a role. She'd be looking for a more high-profile role in an Obama administration if she was prepared to put aside her differences with Obama and work under him directly.

"Now, the successes. Barack Obama in some measure owes his success to the inclusiveness of Bush".

Wow. It takes balls to send that off for print.

Audacity - rank Audacity!!!

PatriotBoy_092404.gif

Meh,that cartoon could apply to every Pope since Charlemagne was a boy.

Speaking ex cathedra-- LOLZ.

Agreed - the Holy Roman Empire was not exactly known for its efficient Government - they needed a productivity commission

Remove this Banner Ad

Back