Hills Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Hahndorf beat Uraidla (who had 3 weeks between games) to take out Div.1!!!
Both premiers were Elimination finalists!
Went to this today, was a cracking game. Uraidla led at the last change then kicked away at the start of the last , still led with 8 min to go and then Hahndorf steamrolled em. 7 goals straight in the last

Hahndorf were bottom last year!

Went to this today, was a cracking game. Uraidla led at the last change then kicked away at the start of the last , still led with 8 min to go and then Hahndorf steamrolled em. 7 goals straight in the last

Hahndorf were bottom last year!
Was a great effort. As much as I hate Hahndorf (being a Barkeroo boy myself) I was really glad they got the win today.

Sedan-Cambrai have moved on to the Riverland independent league from this year. Probably a good move for them but will be sad to see them leave, hopefully they can build up some sort of juniors again.
Should have been there from the start.

Given they were a Div 2 team anyway, and they were miles away from the nearest Div 2 side.

Should have been there from the start.

Given they were a Div 2 team anyway, and they were miles away from the nearest Div 2 side.
Yeah exactly. Were miles from almost all the sides in the league, did think it was a little strange when they rejoined the league in 2010 but let's hope the right decision has been made now before it's too late. The last thing we need is another footy club folding.

So they season gets underway next weekend with the first round of Division Two next weekend.

Bridgewater Callington vs Macclesfield
Gumeracha vs Kangarilla
Meadows vs Birdwood
Nairne Bremer vs Kersbrook

So good match ups this round. With Sedan Cambrai leaving there's no byes in either division.

So they season gets underway next weekend with the first round of Division Two next weekend.

Bridgewater Callington vs Macclesfield
Gumeracha vs Kangarilla
Meadows vs Birdwood
Nairne Bremer vs Kersbrook

So good match ups this round. With Sedan Cambrai leaving there's no byes in either division.
They shouldn't have joined the league anyway, they're in the bloody Riverland for crying out loud. Be like a Port Pirie team joining the North Eastern FL.

After round one and the long drive back from Gumeracha, having seen Kangarilla go down by about 7 goals to the team that was probably favourites to finish bottom, I thought we’d be in for a long season and wins might be hard to come by.

Following some family commitments I couldn’t get to the footy until ¼ time on Saturday. On the 25min drive to Kangarilla I was thinking about what would be an acceptable margin. With the memory of the Nairne Bremer thrashings from last season plus the fact they’d just smashed the reigning premiers (Kersbrook) the week before, I must admit I wasn’t expecting much – a loss of anything around 12 to 15 goals might be a reasonable result. And I was thinking maybe a deficit around 5 to 6 goals at ¼ time would be acceptable.

Very pleasantly surprised to get to the ground to see Kangarilla 2-5 to Nairne 3-3. And soon it was a 2 goal margin to Kangarilla. I didn’t see that coming.

Half time Kangarilla was only 3 points down, 5-7 to Nairne 5-10. This, against a team that beat Kangarilla by 30 goals last year.

The rest of the game was fantastic and enjoyable to watch. At one stage in the last quarter Kangarilla was only 4 points down with about 10 minutes to go. They had chances to win it. It wasn’t a win but gee it was a massive improvement and step forward and demonstrates the enormous hard work that has gone into getting Kangarilla back, competitive in this competition.

I’m away overseas for the next two weeks so won’t get to see Kangarilla v Birdwood (16/4) and Bridgewater (23/4).

But Kangarilla showed on Saturday, it is a team that is capable of causing a few upsets this year, so looking forward to the rest of the season with a lot more optimism than I did a week ago.

In the main game of the weekend (9/4/16), Kersbrook bounced back from a big loss to Nairne in R1, to beat Bridgewater by 4 goals in the Grand Final 'replay'. This would not have gone down too well with the Raiders after a massive 25 goal win in R1 against Macclesfield. They would have been expecting to beat Kersbrook pretty easily.

Birdwood with Chad Connolly kicking 13 of their 16 goals, smashed Gumeracha by 10 goals. Connolly is about 196cm and very mobile. He kicked over 80 goals in Div 2 last season. He is the difference between Birdwood being a genuine threat and not making the four. Birdwood have started with two good wins against teams that didn't feature in the finals and meet another - Kangarilla this week. Kangarilla have improved but they do lack a good key backman and Connolly caused headaches last year. If Kangy can keep him relatively quiet they are not without a chance of causing an upset.

In the 'derby' Meadows beat Macclesfield, but hard to gauge where these teams are at right now after big losses in R1. Meadows will be happy to be on the board and with an influx of several players from Murray Bridge should have improved from last year.

Last edited:
Watched a cracker of a game in the Central Division A's last weekend betweenbetween Uraidla and Lobethal out at Lobey. Finishing results didnt reflect the game, which was within 2 goals back & forth until the last 15 minutes where Lobey put the afterburners on to kick 6 goals clear.

Was a great, tight game. Great viewing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi guys,

Have a look at the FOX FOOTY Club Rewards Program here https://www.foxtel.com.au/foxfootyclubrewards/enter-now.html . Gives a good chance for local clubs to meet / learn from AFL coaches and players.

It's open to all clubs, and you can apply by mentioning the good work your club has done in the community (raise money for charity, help out local community etc). And also, it's all free.

Good chance to apply for your club - and it closes on Sunday so get in quickly.

Just read the posts regarding possible salary cap.

Port Football Club in Port Pirie pay some of their top notch players up to a couple of thousand per game. My friend who mainly plays in their seconds and thirds teams gets paid $700 a game - and he is currently in their seconds and thirds teams! Solomontown do the same thing but not as much.

I think some of the Whyalla and Lincoln clubs are the same - reap in the $$ through pokies then over pay their players.
Ill have to let my son know he should go play on Port Pirie league worth the two hour drive for a few thousand per game. Only gets $75 a game in Whyalla.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back