Hilton Cartwright

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. Watson was actually an excellent all rounder. I questioned his spot in the side when his fragility meant that he couldn't bowl. His batting wasn't good enough as a standalone feature. All rounders are once in a blue moon.

We need to pick 6 batsmen, plus a keeper. If one of those 6 can roll the arm over to give our bowlers a chop out then great, but we shouldn't be picking blokes chasing this ghost that will never eventuate

Amen...been saying this for years

Cartwright would make a perfect number 6 at the moment. Being a top order batsmen he has a good technique and imo anyone who plays test cricket for Australia needs to bat in the top 4 (maybe even 5). He also has another gear to go and can hit big so for a 6 that's perfect. Unfortunately Cartwright might have wait another year to get a recall. Maxwell will be given a few chances now and with the Ashes being the next tour(please correct me if I'm wrong), they probably might go for experienced players like Marsh.

I'm thinking there's a chance Maxwell will bat 6 in the Ashes and could end up our main spin option. I say that as there is a chance we may fire all of Starc, Hazelwood, Cummins and Pattinson at the Poms.

Comes down who you want in the side. Pattinson and Maxwell or Lyon and Cartwright.

I'm thinking there's a chance Maxwell will bat 6 in the Ashes and could end up our main spin option. I say that as there is a chance we may fire all of Starc, Hazelwood, Cummins and Pattinson at the Poms.

Comes down who you want in the side. Pattinson and Maxwell or Lyon and Cartwright.

There is no way Maxwell is playing as the sole spinner

Might even go 5 bowlers and keep SOK in the side.

What are England's odds for the Ashes then...

5 bowlers is a terrible idea, especially when I have questions still about Handscomb when the ball moves, and Marsh hardly fills me with an array of confidence against Anderson, Broad, etc.

Australia really has to forget about Cartwright being an all-rounder. In 33 innings he's only taken 18 wickets at 44.

He's a batsman who can bowl a bit now and then. But batting is his go and what he may make him a test player. Although it will be difficult for him to break into the team at the moment. Openers are set, Khawaja averaging high 40s not even in the team but will likely be no.3 in none subcontinent series, Smith and Handscomb looking set in the middle order and Maxwell potentially getting a decent run at 6 now. Hard to see who he's dislodging, especially with the selectors fetish for all-rounders it will have to be someone in the top 5, but that's highly unlikely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt he stays in for the ashes anyway. 3 seamers, 1 spinner + 4th seaming all rounder. Its how Australia typically likes to line up.

Might even go 5 bowlers and keep SOK in the side.

We would only play two spinners in Sydney. Madness to do it elsewhere in Oz.

Given how little Maxwell is bowling in any format, it looks like he is concentrating on batting and will only be a part time tweaker.

Starc is definitely not as good as Hazlewood and imo Pattinson is also better.

He's not yet really become a world class test bowler.

That said when it comes to people who really struggle against pace like tailenders or Sri Lankans he is the hardest to face.

Hazlewood is our best test bowler with patto 2nd if he could stay fit, cummins has played so rarely that he doesn't even enter the conversation for me, if he can play a few full series then maybe we can judge where he sits.

Jury is still out on starc, one series he is unplayable then the next few he can ineffective and very expensive, he has averaged under 30 just 3 times in his last 10 test series and those are not the numbers of clearly the best bowler in the side.

Best is relative. I love statistics but people put way too much stock in them. Bowling in particular is as much about having a balanced attack as having good individual performers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back