Moved Thread Himmelberg or McKay for $700k

Who would you more likely pay $700k for?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The risk with massively front loading a contract is the player discovers they have family reasons to need to move when the pay level drops to the value years for the club and another club will pay the in between figure (but front load again).
Is that the Hill/Lobb precedent?

The Lobbster has done well jumping ship from team to team …. But that’s more on his dodgy manager
So has Brad Hill.

I would say though, I think clubs should learn from Geelong on this issue. When Kelly was performing at an AA level on a rookie contract and asked to leave for more money, Geelong demanded an insane trade compensation to make up for the difference. That is the way.

GAJ did it. Mid contract demanded a new contract front loading his pay then the drop off year needed to go back to Geelong and it would be horrible if he wasnt allowed to go.
Wasnt GAJ still on more even in the last year at GC than he was on at Geelong at the end? I didn't think he was a good example. But am I wrong?

Wasnt GAJ still on more even in the last year at GC than he was on at Geelong at the end? I didn't think he was a good example. But am I wrong?

Thats probably the story told after the fact, but before the request to come home was him reorganising his contrqct and it being front loaded.

He took Buddy level millions and left them in a far worse place.

Not the same at all. Hawthorn can front load elite young players. This sets up our future. Essendon chose to overpay for a spud (who blanck out performed in 2023 in 1on1s despite being 3 years younger).

You would have to be hoping he is on pretty serious inducements, because we have seen what McKay is like when he doesn't care.

You have Newcombe and Day as elite young players. No one else. So you should have a TONNE of cap space available - more than enough to get McKay and frontload your good young players. Who else is there? I think Weddle will be very good in time, but he wouldn't command a big salary yet. But I suppose you could frontload his contract.
You are seriously going to argue that McKay wouldn't be an upgrade in your defense? Mckay had triple the contested marks of Blanck, and double his intercepts. And nearly double rebound 50's. People say McKays disposal is poor, but they have equal clangers, and Blanck's metres gained was one of the lowest in the entire league last season.
And who is your second key defender? You say McKay is a spud - I would like to know what you think of Frost, who played 18 games for the hawks last season.

Thats probably the story told after the fact, but before the request to come home was him reorganising his contrqct and it being front loaded.

He took Buddy level millions and left them in a far worse place.
Yes he did.

You have Newcombe and Day as elite young players. No one else. So you should have a TONNE of cap space available - more than enough to get McKay and frontload your good young players. Who else is there? I think Weddle will be very good in time, but he wouldn't command a big salary yet. But I suppose you could frontload his contract.
You are seriously going to argue that McKay wouldn't be an upgrade in your defense? Mckay had triple the contested marks of Blanck, and double his intercepts. And nearly double rebound 50's. People say McKays disposal is poor, but they have equal clangers, and Blanck's metres gained was one of the lowest in the entire league last season.
And who is your second key defender? You say McKay is a spud - I would like to know what you think of Frost, who played 18 games for the hawks last season.
Newcombe, day, Lewis and Sicily I would heavily front load, but also guys like worpel, Nash, moore to a lesser extent.

Our KPD is a huge problem and McKay would have improved it (Frost in particular is a nightmare - I am really hoping either of our two father sons this year becomes a KPD) but I wouldn't want to be paying him drastically more than any of the 6 players I just listed because he hasn't outperformed any of them (despite playing a different role).

I know what it is like to have a guy in an organisation being massively overpaid with respect to output and how damaging it can be to morale.

Newcombe, day, Lewis and Sicily I would heavily front load, but also guys like worpel, Nash, moore to a lesser extent.

Our KPD is a huge problem and McKay would have improved it (Frost in particular is a nightmare - I am really hoping either of our two father sons this year becomes a KPD) but I wouldn't want to be paying him drastically more than any of the 6 players I just listed because he hasn't outperformed any of them (despite playing a different role).

I know what it is like to have a guy in an organisation being massively overpaid with respect to output and how damaging it can be to morale.

McCabe in his 3rd year will surpass McKay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The risk with massively front loading a contract is the player discovers they have family reasons to need to move when the pay level drops to the value years for the club and another club will pay the in between figure (but front load again).
when has this actually happened? if it's happened once and an interstate player requests a trade back to Perth for example, sure, no worries but I feel you're really clutching at straws with this comment

when has this actually happened? if it's happened once and an interstate player requests a trade back to Perth for example, sure, no worries but I feel you're really clutching at straws with this comment

It happened with a WA player requesting a trade away from WA... twice

But yeah, being the attitude

Lobb and Hill are the only 2 I can ever think of. Mckay definitely seems the type though (every bit as lazy and indifferent as those two when he doesn't feel like playing).

McCabe in his 3rd year will surpass McKay.

We hoped Zach Reid would and you would of expected that with DGB too. There are no guarantees.
McKay would of been a significant upgrade for a few years at least, and would only cost salary cap space, which both our teams have plenty of.

Back