Moved Thread Himmelberg or McKay for $700k

Who would you more likely pay $700k for?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not only is McKay getting 850k a year on average

He’s probably the highest paid player next year due to front ending

1.4-1.5mil lol

And people actually thought there would be some debate around compo
On that kind of coin, I'm a little peeved we didn't get a second compo pick. :)

Not only is McKay getting 850k a year on average

He’s probably the highest paid player next year due to front ending

1.4-1.5mil lol

And people actually thought there would be some debate around compo
Wow, that would be more than $6K per disposal based on this season.

Himmelberg and it isn't close.
Not only a much better player, but much better value for money.

McKay would now be the highest paid AFL player next season, yet I wouldn't even have him in the top 100 players.

Ridiculous!

Not only a much better player, but much better value for money.

McKay would now be the highest paid AFL player next season, yet I wouldn't even have him in the top 100 players.

Ridiculous!
No kidding. Makes you think the quoted numbers might not be entirely accurate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People obviously don't understand a position like a club like Essendon is in. Pay a marginal player like Jack Bowes, Rory Atkins or Adam Tomlinson overs for a possible AFL standard player or pay overs for a player you know can be an AFL standard player?

Not only are we paying said AFL standard player enough, he is chewing up salary that we don't need to gift players not worth the money (most would agree that Cox, Perkins, Reid etc are not worth what others from there drafts class would command).

Now one can try to argue it's overs, yeah, probably is but read point b from this post and tell me who you would prefer from this years key back carousel?

People obviously don't understand a position like a club like Essendon is in. Pay a marginal player like Jack Bowes, Rory Atkins or Adam Tomlinson overs for a possible AFL standard player or pay overs for a player you know can be an AFL standard player?

Not only are we paying said AFL standard player enough, he is chewing up salary that we don't need to gift players not worth the money (most would agree that Cox, Perkins, Reid etc are not worth what others from there drafts class would command).

Now one can try to argue it's overs, yeah, probably is but read point b from this post and tell me who you would prefer from this years key back carousel?
I would pay Jack Bowes if I could get pick 7 with him.

Otherwise you just front load young stars, for my club I would front load the heck out of Lewis, newcombe, day.

Such a spud and he’ll be the highest paid player in the league next year.
Yeah we’re doing that so we can target not only free agents but perhaps some out of contract players next year, any suggestions for an out of contract forward?

Imagine thinking paying $1.5m a year to McKay has some sort of "win" to it.

Hawthorn and Essendon are in the same position - lots of salary cap space to the point of needing to front load contracts just to meet the salary cap floor. We also both have poor mature key defender options. You only have Blanck/Frost as options right? Unless you play Sicily out of position. We have so much salary cap space that we have to do something with it, and McKay was pretty much the best option available. Overpaying him will not hurt us one bit, as we will have plenty of cap space at the end of 2024 to target more players. So getting McKay can only be seen as a positive to me.

Last edited:
Imagine thinking paying $1.5m a year to McKay has some sort of "win" to it.
You have to pay a min 95% of the cap and by paying him this much in his first year we reach that. Then subsequent years ..let’s say second year ..McKay drops back in pay and opens up cap space for us again for other players

Yeah we’re doing that so we can target not only free agents but perhaps some out of contract players next year, any suggestions for an out of contract forward?
Josh Schache
You're welcome

Hawthorn and Essendon are in the same position - lots of salary cap space to the point of needing to front load contracts just to meet the salary cap floor. We also both have poor mature key defender options. You only have Blanck/Frost as options right? Unless you play Sicily out of position. We have so much salary cap space that we have to do something with it, and McKay was pretty much the best option available. Overpaying him will not hurt us one bit, as we will have plenty of cap space at the end of 2024 to target more players. So getting McKay can only be seen as a positive to me.
Not the same at all. Hawthorn can front load elite young players. This sets up our future. Essendon chose to overpay for a spud (who blanck out performed in 2023 in 1on1s despite being 3 years younger).

You would have to be hoping he is on pretty serious inducements, because we have seen what McKay is like when he doesn't care.

You have to pay a min 95% of the cap and by paying him this much in his first year we reach that. Then subsequent years ..let’s say second year ..McKay drops back in pay and opens up cap space for us again for other players

So front load all the good players. Him likely being the highest paid player in the comp next year is insane.

I wonder what people would have thought about Horace Grant having a front loaded contract and earning double what Jordan, Pippen and Rodman were on.

Back