Rumour Hine offered 5 year deal by Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

This is true, but it's a promising sign that none of this years draftees have looked completely out of their depth at AFL level this year. Obviously Sier aside, being a project player on whom it's too early to judge, from last years crop, the only bust so far looks to be Golds, with the rest looking like they could be anything from 100-200 gamers at best, and handy depth at worst. None of them really look genuinely below AFL standard, with Smith a genuine player, and both Wills and Crocker looking like genuinely good prospects too. Phillips could go either way, but he looks to have all the tools needed to succeed if he does the right things.

I'd say that's a pretty good effort from Hine and co, being able to grab so many kids who project that way after trading in Treloar, Aish and Howe and using our second rounder on a project player.
I agree the 2015 crop looks promising, especially given the low picks we had to work with and we'll need a bit more creative thinking this year if we want to end up with more than just Brown and Daics. Overall, Hine still does well (Sier last year was a bit weird) but it wouldn't cause us too many problems if he did leave - someone with fresh ideas and a new perspective on what our list lacks could end up doing better.

In fairness, recruiters can't really be blamed for players getting injured after being drafted. In another reality where Berg and Freeman weren't injured for the first 3 years of their careers, we might be praising Hine for picking up 2 more gems.

Fwiw, I'm still confident that in a year or two we'll be thanking our lucky stars that we have Berg on our list, just as we're now thankful we have Reid, despite the last 3 years of pain.

I'm not blaming Hine for taking Scharenberg, but I think even without the injuries there are several guns taken after Freeman we should of taken anyway.

I'm not blaming Hine for taking Scharenberg, but I think even without the injuries there are several guns taken after Freeman we should of taken anyway.
Cripps and McCarthy were the two standouts. Not sure we could definitively say anyone else in the first round taken after him would have definitely been better than a fit Freeman.

Cripps and McCarthy were the two standouts. Not sure we could definitively say anyone else in the first round taken after him would have definitely been better than a fit Freeman.
I personally would have taken McCarthy. I liked him a lot in that draft.

However, I wonder whether we would be in the same predicament now as GWS if we did? It's probably likely we would have lost him to home sickness too.

I personally would have taken McCarthy. I liked him a lot in that draft.

However, I wonder whether we would be in the same predicament now as GWS if we did? It's probably likely we would have lost him to home sickness too.

Yea, but we would have been smart enough to trade him for 2 first round picks not a 1 second round pick.

We would have had pick 18 from last year, and pick 3 this year.

Yea, but we would have been smart enough to trade him for 2 first round picks not a 1 second round pick.

We would have had pick 18 from last year, and pick 3 this year.
Did Freo offer 2 first rounders? I thought they stuffed GWS around?

I'm not sure Freo would have been any better to us.

Freo offered them their two first rounders, Giants rejected.. God knows why looks even worse now that freo are gonna end up with pick 3
Thanks mate. I couldn't remember the details.

GWS dropped the ball big time on that one then. Good.

Freo offered them their two first rounders, Giants rejected.. God knows why looks even worse now that freo are gonna end up with pick 3
In fairness, if GWS had an inkling that Freo would nosedive the way they did this year they probably would have jumped on the trade. Two picks in the teens wasn't really a palatable deal for one of the leagues up and coming young key forwards.

In fairness, if GWS had an inkling that Freo would nosedive the way they did this year they probably would have jumped on the trade. Two picks in the teens wasn't really a palatable deal for one of the leagues up and coming young key forwards.
they gambled and lost.. its on them, once he said freo only and made it known to them he was hell bent on getting there and very home sick they should have taken best offer even if it was slightly unders. Now they'll be lucky to get a second rounder.

they gambled and lost.. its on them, once he said freo only and made it known to them he was hell bent on getting there and very home sick they should have taken best offer even if it was slightly unders. Now they'll be lucky to get a second rounder.
He's still contracted until 2017, so GWS do still have some clout at the trade table. I know what you're saying, but GWS are in the unique position of being able to play hardball on this one, and get less in the long term without really being hurt given they have a gajillion first round picks again this year and a bunch of academy talent flowing through their doors.

I think if Freo genuinely want the kid they'll have to cough up something decent this year, or risk having a disgruntled McCarthy questioning whether Freo want him on their list that badly. 2 years sitting on the sidelines can't be all that attractive.

The only selections I've been really critical about and hold him solely responsible for have been not selecting McCarthy OR Wright when we clearly needed young key forwards. Maynard over Blakely and the Sier pick I think will end badly also, he tries to be too smart.

Imagine a forward line with Moore, Wright and McCarthy, it would godly and they were the obvious selections. Just take the big guys FFS.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what bugs me about GWS concessions. Imagine if Hine stuffed up a number 2 draft pick. There would be mass riots and effigy burnings. Whereas GWS utensil up several high picks and it's just a shrug of the shoulders and an "oh well, there's plenty more where that came from"

The only selections I've been really critical about and hold him solely responsible for have been not selecting McCarthy OR Wright when we clearly needed young key forwards. Maynard over Blakely and the Sier pick I think will end badly also, he tries to be too smart.

Imagine a forward line with Moore, Wright and McCarthy, it would godly and they were the obvious selections. Just take the big guys FFS.
Hard to disagree here.

This is what bugs me about GWS concessions. Imagine if Hine stuffed up a number 2 draft pick. There would be mass riots and effigy burnings. Whereas GWS utensil up several high picks and it's just a shrug of the shoulders and an "oh well, there's plenty more where that came from"
GWS given way too much.
Afl wants them to succeed to exclusion of all others.

Blakely looks quite vanilla to me. I think choosing Maynard will be the right option between those two. Haven't studied the draft enoigh but for pick 30. Given his season and the fact he's still 19 I think Maynard will prove to be a fantastic pick.

As for Sier, I can't say too much haven't really seen him. But from reports of most on here, seems quite underwhelming. He's a big boy, but can he play footy? Hopefully we see more after another pre season, which I hope he undertakes his own during his holidays.

Personally think GWS were quiet silly. They were never gonna be able to juggle Cameron, Patton, Mcarthy, Lobb, Stewart, Tomlinson.
But then they can on forward them for academy points etc
There's a lot of background stuff behind the scenes

Sorry to intrude but has anymore come out about this rumour?
We need to replace Francis Jackson ASAP!!!!
Hine is waiting . If he wants a badly run club with limited success and player movement, he can just as well stay here.
But when you have sacked the board, the coach , the assistant coaches , traded half of your senior list including 1 or 2 elite players, now that is a nice challenge.

Personally think GWS were quiet silly. They were never gonna be able to juggle Cameron, Patton, Mcarthy, Lobb, Stewart, Tomlinson.

You can add Boyd to that as well.

Silly or brilliant? The GWS strategy has been to accumulate all the best talent in the league, regardless of position. Then sell that back to everyone else for more picks or selected players in positions of need. This strategy ensures their ongoing success for at least a decade as the cycle repeats and they continue to hit the first round of every draft hard. They have made the absolute most of their concessions and they will continue to provide dividends for a very long time.

KPF are traditionally hard to come by. So by stock piling them all that is going to happen is every club without one (thats quite a few) will line up and sell their souls.

GWS given way too much.
Afl wants them to succeed to exclusion of all others.
This is the great hypocrisy. The AFL spruik their equalization policies whilst creating a team to dominate the competition for years.

The way that they punished Sydney - who were working within the parameters set by the AFL-for getting Franklin just shows how much bias they have towards GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back