Analysis Hine Picking too Many of the Same Type

Remove this Banner Ad

regpies

Club Legend
Sep 19, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Plenty of other clubs have picked up super quick pressure small forwards pretty cheap. Eagles with Ryan and Rioli, GWS with Bobby Hill, Crows when they got Charlie Cameron.

The players are out there, we just aren’t recruiting them

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
No 3peat (Ninth)mond Minnows
Plenty of other clubs have picked up super quick pressure small forwards pretty cheap. Eagles with Ryan and Rioli, GWS with Bobby Hill, Crows when they got Charlie Cameron.

The players are out there, we just aren’t recruiting them
Yep, Stevo is the only speedster, one more and we'd be deadly with some decent key structure

legendstatus

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Victory
you should have reported the post if you think it is racism! Out of curiosity who am I being racist towards? Pretty laughable accusation
Kappa is a closet politically correct police, you mention the word indigenous and he labels you a racist

Kappa STFU and stay cool bro ( not racist )

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Margot Robbie's Shaving Team...
I think Hine concentrates on "hard workers", "players from good families", "players with good attitudes".... I'm not sure some kids at 18 fit that criteria.

Listen to Matt Rendell in 2014. He gives an interpretation of it.

Sometimes you have to draft players who might depend on the culture of the club..... and not just draft players who will add to the culture.

jc37

Team Captain
Jan 4, 2007
London
AFL Club
Collingwood
One of my friends who is now a significant AFL recruiter, used to say the Tigers are the only club to recruit dickheads. His argument was supportive you can teach someone to be a better person but you cant coach natural talent. This was around the time of Daniel Conners. I think his attitude changed once he was working full time as a recruiter. The tigers were the example why not to recruit dickheads. 2019 and the Tigers with a great culture are the example of why to recruit dickheads "Sydney Stack". I feel bad saying this because from what I see is a happy kid just enjoying football but he did drop for a reason. Marlion Pickett will also likely make an impact. I am spewing we didnt pick Stack because you only had to watch 30 seconds of his highlights video to see he was a jet. Tigers have a great culture at the moment and Stack from what I am aware hasnt put a foot wrong. We spent two first rounders on Beams with a history of mental health issues and he is a player who has had all the support in the world. But we were not prepared to give a chance to a kid who probably hasnt had much support his whole life. Surely with the money we have and if they are confident in our culture you take a chance and could have picked him at 60!.

Re Hine; I think he does an excellent job picked Pendlebury against the grain, picked both Stephenson, De Goey and Sier against the grain. Even Sam Murray if he wasnt snorting grains. His misses could be argued because of injury Freeman and Scharenberg (although he can still go up a notch and is reaonably good). Keane and Wilson could potentially follow Cox snd Mihocek as bargain pick ups. Unless we get a bargain big monster i think it is mids and forwards we need to pick in the coming up draft and back our development of Kelly, Wilson and Keane who all look to be showing something.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Re Hine; I think he does an excellent job picked Pendlebury against the grain, picked both Stephenson, De Goey and Sier against the grain. Even Sam Murray if he wasnt snorting grains. His misses could be argued because of injury Freeman and Scharenberg (although he can still go up a notch and is reaonably good). Keane and Wilson could potentially follow Cox snd Mihocek as bargain pick ups. Unless we get a bargain big monster i think it is mids and forwards we need to pick in the coming up draft and back our development of Kelly, Wilson and Keane who all look to be showing something.
I think the worry is some of our best players are 28 and over.

Pendlebury Sidebottom Beams Roughead Howe Cox Wells Dunn Varcoe Mayne Greenwood Thomas Goldsack

I can't see any of Wilson, Keane or Kelly maturing in time for this window

HFF

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Liverpool, FC Bayern

Pendlebury Sidebottom Beams Roughead Howe Cox Wells Dunn Varcoe Mayne Greenwood Thomas Goldsack

Of the above players you mentioned, only Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Beams and Howe are worthy of note.

The others are role players who are just about done with respect to Roughead.
I wouldn’t be calling the others our best players especially when we have names such as JDG, Grundy, Treloar, Adams, Stephenson, Moore etc.

Thatsmyname

Plausible deniability
Apr 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Of the above players you mentioned, only Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Beams and Howe are worthy of note.

The others are role players who are just about done with respect to Roughead.
I wouldn’t be calling the others our best players especially when we have names such as JDG, Grundy, Treloar, Adams, Stephenson, Moore etc.
To be fair the first 3 are a large part of our elite midfield and Howe and Roughy are simply our best tall defenders with Moore out so often (and probably coming back via the forward line now) take the 28+ out and we have virtually no keys and relying on the kids you mentioned, not ideal for a premiership window

Knightmare

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Is it picking all the same types or of those picked it is the same types that tend to be the ones who Collingwood have had the most success picking? I tend to think the latter.

There is both speed and KPPs in the Pies range. A shame that first round pick isn't there as there is a particularly polished season one, game one ready ground level forward who Collingwood could have used that pick on. But still plenty of speedy/x-factor types and kpps who outside of the trade/free agent period can help balance the club's list.

Markfs

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 13, 2008
Fremantle
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Margot Robbie's Shaving Team...
yes i agree. there is a sameness about focus on half-backs and midfielders, although you have to acknowledge that you need a lot of players who can run through the midfield...

gouki88

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, Boston Celtics
He seems to have a bit of an obsession with utility, or positional flexibility. All our recent acquisitions that weren't top picks (like Stephenson) seem to have multiple positions they can play.

Sea fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

That lot is expendable but we do need more young guns, especially KPPs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jackcass

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
He seems to have a bit of an obsession with utility, or positional flexibility. All our recent acquisitions that weren't top picks (like Stephenson) seem to have multiple positions they can play.
How much of that is about the player they were prior to drafting v the player that develops after time in the system?

As a more general observation, players through the U18's systems seem to get more opportunity these days to explore their capacity in a variety of positions so most are multi positional or bring some degree of flexibility. Did the Doggies for instance recruit Naughton as a KPD or always envisage he'd play as a KPF?

Be an interesting discussion with Hiney to explore each of his draftees and what he envisioned them developing into when he's taken that pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Top Bottom