News Hinkley is staying -3 year contract extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So then you understand the ramifications if it doesn't work, right?

I'm fine with Ken being given everything he needs to do the job well. He said that DK has given him everything he needs. It's the three years that is up for debate. We've been down this road before and it didn't end well.

Win a showdown. Beat a top 8 side. Win a final. Be competitive. Improve our skills and forward line. Improve our efficiency.

Start doing any of these things and the stress goes away and everyone is happy.

Am I confident Ken is the man to get it done? Not nearly enough. There are still the same glaring deficiencies that haven't been addressed during his tenure and every year it appears that another problem pops up that needs fixing.

Do I hope like **** that he is able to make us successful? Of course.

Do I think three years on top of the one he already had was absolutely necessary to ensure he was able to do his job like a professional? No.

Do I think this contract extension is a massive risk for everyone involved. **** yes.
Keeping or losing him are both risks, I get that. Tigers keeping their coach was a huge risk that paid off. I know these things don't always pay off but I think and hope ours will.
It will be what it will be now.

You are taking simplistic and sledgehammer view to what stress is and what it does.

Yes stress is a part of the job, a big part but do you realise that stress lies on a continuum?

There's an optimum level of stress for productivity.

• To perform at your best you need to experience some stress, yes.

• Too much stress and your pre-frontal cortex (the part of the brain used for rational thinking) begins to lose this functionality.

• Too much stress and the amygdala (the part of the brain responsible for your fight-or-flight response can’t exactly distinguish between a life threatening situation and too many first world problems, which means that it takes resources from the pre-frontal cortex and therefore your rational productivity declines from where it should be..

So KT et al. have decided to lessen the shackles and some of that stress to enable him to function optimally, like he did when he first arrived.

View attachment 418480
A 3 year extension will more likely lead to a slip into the green. Deckchair and sunnies style.

Hardcore

Team Captain
Apr 10, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This is so true. Right now I'm so pissed off with this decision but I know I need to change my attitude otherwise I'm wasting my $600 plus membership. Not sure I can to be honest.

What I want to know is who decided to play the kids. It was too late in the season though and the continual backing of underperforming senior players hurt our finals chances. If Ken was pushed to play the kids we are doomed.
Ken played the kids when he got contract security. Think about this why olay kids and risk losing games when your contracr is on the line play the blokes that are good enough to beat the terrible team but really dont offer anything in the future. As soon as Ken gets some indication of security he can blood the kids

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
In Victoria the pressure is spread over 10 clubs. If one is flying the other 10 take part of the pressure.
In SA you take the full brunt.
Yes I have heard from many that it is worse in the fishbowl of Adelaide.

Sorry if you believe the club should just say too bad Ken suck it up, rather than removing some of the unnecessary stress to improve his performance.
Using the overarching term stress, as I said is too simplistic.
This is very true but that's why ken is one of the highest paid coaches and why there is other coaches to help out. Some people deal with stress differently and in that case may be Ken should not be coaching in a "fishbowl" because it will on reflect on our players and performances.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
I know these things don't always pay off but I think and hope ours will.

We all hope.

Hope doesn't really get you very far though. A critical analysis of your faults can.

It's ok to sit back and look at our neighbours and go "s**t, they made
some changes and it's paying off, how did they do that?" and then take note of how the media is pretty complimentary of that, but at the same time criticise people for being unhappy for wanting change.

You can't complain and complain and complain about being second best in this state and then when people say "hey, maybe this guy isn't up to the job" tell them that the club knows what they're doing and how dare they have the right to question it.

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Contract insecurity led to the revolving door of Young, White, and Trengove the forward.

Contract security led to Marshall, Howard, Bonner being selected with a massive eye on the future. I'm hopeful this will continue into 2018 and we'll see more players blooded.

I'm not making any particular argument here, just pointing out a bit of what happened. It's not necessarily doom and gloom ahead. Time will tell I guess.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
... Contract security led to Marshall, Howard, Bonner being selected with a massive eye on the future. ...
Did it though?

KT stated that an extension to Ken's contract wouldn't be discussed until the end of season review was completed. If Ken was told he had a guaranteed contract extension, ie contract security, when he selected Marshall, who he openly stated he wanted to play earlier in the season but held off because of Marshall's personal issues, the KT is a bare faced liar.

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Did it though?

KT stated that an extension to Ken's contract wouldn't be discussed until the end of season review was completed. If Ken was told he had a guaranteed contract extension, ie contract security, when he selected Marshall, who he openly stated he wanted to play earlier in the season but held off because of Marshall's personal issues, the KT is a bare faced liar.

You can take what KT said publicly however you want. Ken was coaching and picking his side late in the season like a man who knew his job was safe.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We all hope.

Hope doesn't really get you very far though. A critical analysis of your faults can.

It's ok to sit back and look at our neighbours and go "s**t, they made
some changes and it's paying off, how did they do that?" and then take note of how the media is pretty complimentary of that, but at the same time criticise people for being unhappy for wanting change.

You can't complain and complain and complain about being second best in this state and then when people say "hey, maybe this guy isn't up to the job" tell them that the club knows what they're doing and how dare they have the right to question it.
Firstly you absolutely have a right to question it. i have read the hundreds of posts questioning it. We all question it, but it is what it is now. People can continue to complain and fret or they can try to understand why the club might have made the decision.
Mmmm..go through my last 400 posts and see where I supposedly complain complain complain about Crows getting the good media attention. I left that stuff alone ages ago (others perhaps haven't) I have a joke about them but am one of the least complaining on here. They're good. they'll get into GF. I'll have to cop the media hysteria but focus on my own club.
You criticise me for believing we are probably on the right path. Me responding with my take on the stress thing is not criticising you wanting change. It's just giving a different slant on things. It is a fact that there is stress and there is STRESS.
People want to be given hope, of course we do, and the majority on here want a shiny new coach to give them that hope. I get that.

As for the stress/performance thing, during the season I can't remember how many times I read on here.."Ken has done this or that in order to "save his job" usually pertaining to picking his favourite players. So one can assume that those posters believed that the pressure of not knowing what his future held caused him to make misjudgements. This could have been conscious or subconscious by Ken. So they actually understood that stress of uncertainty could be playing a role.
Then after the showdown, at around the time KT was discussing his contract with him and that they planned to renew it, he started playing youth, which 80% on here demanded. Perhaps that correlated with him being told he would be re-contracted thus decreasing the stress and giving him the opportunity to make some better decisions?

This may or may not be so but is a possibility.
good-stress-bad-stress_curve.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
You can take what KT said publicly however you want. Ken was coaching and picking his side late in the season like a man who knew his job was safe.
So Ken and KT both lied to the members about Ken's contract and Ken makes selections to best save his arse not what is necessarily best for Ports. This makes me even more concerned as to where the club is heading.

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So Ken and KT both lied to the members about Ken's contract and Ken makes selections to best save his arse not what is necessarily best for Ports. This makes me even more concerned as to where the club is heading.

Look mate, I don't know. I'm just posting my personal observations.

rumoursofwinter

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 7, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm not excited about Ken making selections based upon his desire to get a contract extension rather than what is in the best interests of the club. I'm not excited about Young / Arch in out to eek out a finals result. I'm not excited about the club pushing such a narrow agenda on a coach and the coach not having the balls to stand up for his own vision and do what is right. I'm not seeing the vision. I don't understand the risk of re-signing until at least half way through next year. Kt's response to this question was meandering subterfuge.

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Firstly you absolutely have a right to question it. i have read the hundreds of posts questioning it. We all question it, but it is what it is now. People can continue to complain and fret or they can try to understand why the club might have made the decision.
Mmmm..go through my last 400 posts and see where I supposedly complain complain complain about Crows getting the good media attention. I left that stuff alone ages ago (others perhaps haven't) I have a joke about them but am one of the least complaining on here. They're good. they'll get into GF. I'll have to cop the media hysteria but focus on my own club.
You criticise me for believing we are probably on the right path. Me responding with my take on the stress thing is not criticising you wanting change. It's just giving a different slant on things. It is a fact that there is stress and there is STRESS.
People want to be given hope, of course we do, and the majority on here want a shiny new coach to give them that hope. I get that.

As for the stress/performance thing, during the season I can't remember how many times I read on here.."Ken has done this or that in order to "save his job" usually pertaining to picking his favourite players. So one can assume that those posters believed that the pressure of not knowing what his future held caused him to make misjudgements. This could have been conscious or subconscious by Ken. So they actually understood that stress of uncertainty could be playing a role.
Then after the showdown, at around the time KT was discussing his contract with him and that they planned to renew it, he started playing youth, which 80% on here demanded. Perhaps that correlated with him being told he would be re-contracted thus decreasing the stress and giving him the opportunity to make some better decisions?

This may or may not be so but is a possibility.
View attachment 418499

I respect your passion and we both accept that we are where we are now and will get behind the club. Bring on the SANFL GF and 2018.

Alberton Proud

Norm Smith Medallist
May 24, 2012
Beachside
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Fancy being paid a ship load of money to work in a high profile performance based industry and being expected to perform. :rolleyes:

As for Donna Hinkley not liking the fishbowl environment in Adelaide, I can honestly say that I would not recognise her if I walked past her in the local supermarket.

Doesn't this in turn tell you that's Caro's article is pure speculative crap

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm not excited about Ken making selections based upon his desire to get a contract extension rather than what is in the best interests of the club. I'm not excited about Young / Arch in out to eek out a finals result. I'm not excited about the club pushing such a narrow agenda on a coach and the coach not having the balls to stand up for his own vision and do what is right. I'm not seeing the vision. I don't understand the risk of re-signing until at least half way through next year. Kt's response to this question was meandering subterfuge.

I've maintained all year that the moment David Koch set the bar at "Top 8" before the season had even started that's precisely where Ken set his bar. In my opinion some of the blame falls on Koch for this reason.
It was inevitable Ken would go into survival mode from that point on. It was such a low benchmark with very little probability of many risk v reward moves in the coaching box. Kochie should have just kept his mouth shut in that instance, or at worst said something like "we as a board want to see overall improvement and development with an eye to the future".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back