Autopsy Hinkleys hobos vs the oldest team in the universe

Our brilliant-minded coach went into the Geelong game with pretty much the same game plan as the Melbourne game; avoid their intercept defenders (Stewart) at all costs by going wide and short, with no real intent to score. Inevitably, as per the Melbourne game, it opened up after half time and we got smashed. Hinkley is a no trick pony, bereft of ideas and footy nous.

And the Brisbane game. Where he thinks the opposition is better than us, he resorts to slow-moving possession game plan because he wants to deny the opposition the ball. This throws mobile key forwards under the bus as they don't know when or where to lead. The opposition dutifully dumps ruckmen and mids back to clog up our forward line and help out their key defenders.

It's such a defeatist strategy, whatever happened to brave football and fast exciting play? A sad and distant memory. Take them on, dare to win.

Windy Cindy

Premiership Player
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Record breaking coach Ken Hinkley said in the post match presser our best football is still ahead of us. Duck off moite.
why cant someone in the media call him out, why cant someone ask him how this will happen, what will change

Kane made a comment yesterday about being outcoached and cause nobody in the media gives a s**t about us it was just overlooked.

I cant describe adequately how thoroughly sick I am of this bloke, just * of ken.

MrMeaner

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
And the Brisbane game. Where he thinks the opposition is better than us, he resorts to slow-moving possession game plan that throws mobile key forwards under the bus as they don't know when or where to lead. The opposition dutifully dumps ruckmen and mids back to clog up our forward line and help out their key defenders.

It's such a defeatist strategy, whatever happened to brave football and fast exciting play? A sad and distant memory. Take them on, dare to win.

Coaching to not lose will surely work next time though

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
Definitely right about last week's numbers as we discussed it at length after the match.
Oh i must've missed this. Any chance you can point out where it was mentioned? Surely we can't be doing 1000kms less than our opponents weekly, that'd be a huge red flag.

And the Brisbane game. Where he thinks the opposition is better than us, he resorts to slow-moving possession game plan that throws mobile key forwards under the bus as they don't know when or where to lead. The opposition dutifully dumps ruckmen and mids back to clog up our forward line and help out their key defenders.

He did this in his first final against Geelong in 2013. Leads at half time, then went defensive and lost. Seem to recall him saying he would never do that again and learnt his lesson. And yet here we are using it as a gameplan from the start of games.

PowerLil

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2012
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Oh i must've missed this. Any chance you can point out where it was mentioned? Surely we can't be doing 1000kms less than our opponents weekly, that'd be a huge red flag.
Sorry Coob. 'We discussed it at length' meaning my sister and I were talking about it after we watched the game. She showed me the heat map and we were literally almost 100km less in total distance covered. She went on to say "Ken's right. We don't work hard enough." :tearsofjoy:

PortWTF

All Australian
Jun 21, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
And the Brisbane game. Where he thinks the opposition is better than us, he resorts to slow-moving possession game plan because he wants to deny the opposition the ball. This throws mobile key forwards under the bus as they don't know when or where to lead. The opposition dutifully dumps ruckmen and mids back to clog up our forward line and help out their key defenders.

Contrast to how Hawthorn play, kicking 81 points against Melbourne (the highest this year), only losing by 10, then kicking 117 points against Brisbane and winning by 5. Meanwhile we kick 36 against Melbourne and 47 against Geelong.

Contrast to how Hawthorn play, kicking 81 points against Melbourne (the highest this year), only losing by 10, then kicking 117 points against Brisbane and winning by 5. Meanwhile we kick 36 against Melbourne and 47 against Geelong.

I know, it's so frustrating.

Feb 20, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
He did this in his first final against Geelong in 2013. Leads at half time, then went defensive and lost. Seem to recall him saying he would never do that again and learnt his lesson. And yet here we are using it as a gameplan from the start of games.

Well to be fair, he does it from the start of games now and not change to it at half time. So I guess you can argue he kept his word.....?

Well to be fair, he does it from the start of games now and not change to it at half time. So I guess you can argue he kept his word.....?
What a relief

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Our brilliant-minded coach went into the Geelong game with pretty much the same game plan as the Melbourne game; avoid their intercept defenders (Stewart) at all costs by going wide and short, with no real intent to score. Inevitably, as per the Melbourne game, it opened up after half time and we got smashed. Hinkley is a no trick pony, bereft of ideas and footy nous.
The real kicker is he's won twice against Geelong in finals recently by playing on fast and not turning it into a wrestle, yet each time after we've won in that fashion he's gone back to his 'Plan A'. He is the most stubborn idiot, in that he just won't admit his preferred plan sucks dogs balls.

10 years in and we aren't even getting close to being a very good team.

That's the point!
It could be argued we have had two good team periods 13-14 20-21.

Problem is they haven’t maximised their chance. Or stretched the dominance for long enough!

Like our modern history, most top spots minimal to show

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
It's hard to believe any member of our coaching panel could see the game so poorly. Jonas was disgustingly bad.

Cornes paid credit to captain Tom Jonas, who came out of COVID isolation late in the lead-up to the match at Kardinia Park and set a clear example on how the team should have approached the work at ground level.

"Tom was really impressive ... he did not miss a beat," Cornes said. "He led the way with his contest work, both in the air and on the ground. There was one in particular against (Geelong key forward) Tom Hawkins - I just love it when Tom sets the tone like that. We know how tough he is and what a great leader he is. The boys do feed off that, so I was pretty impressed with his return.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
he resorts to slow-moving possession game plan because he wants to deny the opposition the ball.

It’s a fair strategy: if well-executed; if the opposition struggles against it; if the moment is right; etc.

It halts the opponent’s momentum, and helps both resting your players and tiring out the opposition. All, while looking for open spaces to explore.

It's such a defeatist strategy

No, it’s not. Any strategy is only defeatist if, for whatever reason, it worsens the chances of winning.

Your issue doesn’t seem to be with the strategy. You would be complaining about the MENTALITY.

The key is here:
Where he thinks the opposition is better than us

We wouldn’t use it to win, but to save percentage. (I’m not even considering the fact that our team has a low efficient kick, which isn’t fitting to such a strategy.)

However, later, you said:
whatever happened to brave football and fast exciting play

I didn’t get this last part. By the context, I think you are saying those always lead to wins. Yet, if that were true, all teams would do it.

You know that. It’s not that simple. So, I wonder whether you mean to be satisfied with brave and exciting losses, instead.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It’s a fair strategy: if well-executed; if the opposition struggles against it; if the moment is right; etc.

It halts the opponent’s momentum, and helps both resting your players and tiring out the opposition. All, while looking for open spaces to explore.

No, it’s not. Any strategy is only defeatist if, for whatever reason, it worsens the chances of winning.

Your issue doesn’t seem to be with the strategy. You would be complaining about the MENTALITY.

The key is here:

We wouldn’t use it to win, but to save percentage. (I’m not even considering the fact that our team has a low efficient kick, which isn’t fitting to such a strategy.)

I didn’t get this last part. By the context, I think you are saying those always lead to wins. Yet, if that were true, all teams would do it.

You know that. It’s not that simple. So, I wonder whether you mean to be satisfied with brave and exciting losses, instead.
Your handle on the game has usually been exemplary GP, but I reckon this time you have missed what Ford is trying to point out by the length of the Argentinian coast line. ;)

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Your handle on the game has usually been exemplary GP, but I reckon this time you have missed what Ford is trying to point out by the length of the Argentinian coast line. ;)
Did I? Well… It happens…

How so?

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's hard to believe any member of our coaching panel could see the game so poorly. Jonas was disgustingly bad.

Cornes paid credit to captain Tom Jonas, who came out of COVID isolation late in the lead-up to the match at Kardinia Park and set a clear example on how the team should have approached the work at ground level.

"Tom was really impressive ... he did not miss a beat," Cornes said. "He led the way with his contest work, both in the air and on the ground. There was one in particular against (Geelong key forward) Tom Hawkins - I just love it when Tom sets the tone like that. We know how tough he is and what a great leader he is. The boys do feed off that, so I was pretty impressed with his return.

I was really impressed with the way he double fisted that ball 20m over the boundary in an uncontested marking situation. Dougal Howard would have been proud of that one.

rogerjames

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Oh, and despite being a team of geriatrics, they out ran us and worked much harder both ways all game long.
We must be the laziest bunch of ******* overpaid athletes going around.

Consistently don't chase opp oponents.
Start off in front and get run past and finish second to the ball.

Bloody run until you drop you bunch of ******s. Don't you dare come off the ground barely breathing hard ever again!!!
One of the laziest halves I've seen us play. Virtually the whole team was lazy. Standards are very low unfortunately.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

The key is here:

You know we lost right?

rogerjames

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This year has a very 2015/16 stink to it. Over the season and in games themselves, you'll see glimpses - but there won't be enough consistency to maintain a run nor enough quality to win against good teams. Last third of the season is going to be an absolute chore.

How Port clattered this team in a Qualifying Final eight months ago is beyond me - that was their last great performance.
Aliir was in top form & was allowed to control the defensive rebound. Wines was in career best form. But agree it was a surprising result.

Back