Hip arthroscopy

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Has anyone had/having any experience with hip arthroscopy. Was diagnosed with OP last season for it to only get worse and worse despite contstant treatment. Ended up having an MRI on my hip at the request of an orthopeadic surgeon which found a small labral tear and a slightly irregular shaped femur head. I'm now 6 weeks post op and am still in pain, especially when I am not resting. Have a mate at the same club who was playing at 14 weeks post op which I'm hoping is typical. Anyway was just wondering if there are others out there with similar experiences.

What i'm really wondering is if anybody has been able to come back and play after having their femur remodelled and labrum cartilage repaired as you don't hear too many good news stories?

it would depend on the skill of the surgeon
hip arthroscopic surgery is a relatively new procedure
also femoral remodelling would have a lot longer recovery time than just a labral repair as you're going to have more trauma and longer healing times due to the bone being reshaped. if you're concerned bring up these issues with your surgeon

Thanks for the reply pm. I'm now almost 9 weeks post up and am feeling much better. Still a way to go but am on track. Would have thought there would be more guys with similar experiences...

you're in the right place, melbourne has the most experienced scope surgeons. just make sure you're doing all your strengthening exercises, especially hip abductors and deep hip external rotators

What i'm really wondering is if anybody has been able to come back and play after having their femur remodelled and labrum cartilage repaired as you don't hear too many good news stories?

just be careful with the labrum cartliage because i doubt they repaired it. they cut it out and clean it up up.

i had a hip arthroscopy in dec of 09 to have my labrum cleaned up and i tried to play footy again. but i lost more cartliage after returning and trying to go to hard to early and now i will most likely never play again.
and i am going in for another and a bigger operation this december.

good luck with it. i hope u get back but give it plenty of time and dont go to hard to early. if it sore its sore for a reason and dont do what i did and push through it cose nothing good can happen from that if u have already lost cartliage in your hip.

good luck hope all goes well

Thanks for the replies. I'm almost 11 weeks post op now. Feeling pretty good. Still taking it pretty easy and only doing really basic exercises.

Sorry to hear about your experiences McCleodboy. You must be pretty dark.

Prankmonkey you sound like you know what your talking about. I had mine done by John Odonnell. My physio seems to think he is the pioneer of hip arthroscopy in australia and a lot of people fly in to see him so i'm pretty sure I had gold standard surgery. Was pretty lucky actually as the first surgeon who i went to (who had a good rep) wasn't confident which made me look up John. Didn't want anybody going in unless they were the best.

I realise this thread is almost two years old but it has caught my eye. Reason being is i am in a similar position to what you were 2 years ago bigstyletiger. I was just wondering how you are travelling now with your hip and how sucessful you feel the surgery has been etc. I am also having surgery with Dr John Odonell in August and I want to be as close to sure as possible on what to do. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Need more info man, I presume you've had Ct scan/MRI? what were the results? where do you get pain? Have you had a consult with Dr Odonell, and what does he plan to do? He's one of the best when it comes to hips.

I have cam type FAI with a labral tear plus damage in the labrum, all in the right hip. I suspect the left to be similar but I have not had scans on the left yet.
My pain is my groin, hip flexors, near the greater trochanter and lower back mostly. In saying all that my right glute and knee hurt aswell.
Dr Odonell has not spoken to me, his secretary has booked me in for a consult and operation on the same day. This is in August as he is very busy.
From what I can tell he is planning a athroscopy to fix the impigment and repair the damage in the labrum? I am trying to speak/see him earlier before the scope date to get a better overall understanding.

If you're of the opinion that all the above symptoms are being caused by the hip then your best bet is to have the arthroscopy. I had a labral tear repaired recently and was back on a sationary bike after 4 days, was obviously a very minor job in comparison to what you are likely to go through.

If you're of the opinion that all the above symptoms are being caused by the hip then your best bet is to have the arthroscopy. I had a labral tear repaired recently and was back on a sationary bike after 4 days, was obviously a very minor job in comparison to what you are likely to go through.

Cheers for that. Who did your repair?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a double hip arthroscopy in October and November of 2009. The initial pain was pretty bad and I was sure that the ongoing on and off pain that I had post surgery was not right, but the surgeon I went to kept assuring me that it was normal and to get deep tissue massage when it flared up. 2 1/2 years later (s**t time flies) I am back playing football, running and lifting weights. It was definitely not an overnight cure though. I have no chance of getting back into kick boxing because of rotation problems, and I get a lot of ITB/lower back problems that I assume are associated with the surgeries. That said though, the debilitating pain I got on the point of both sides of the hip has been fixed.

Would I do the surgery again? Tough call... The surgeon I went to charged way over the standard fee, so it cost me a small fortune. The results have been good, but whether it was THAT good, I'm not sure. I made sure I went to the best at the time though. Other friends of mine who had their hips operated on went to cheaper alternatives and have had to have follow up procedures done.

I had a double hip arthroscopy in October and November of 2009. The initial pain was pretty bad and I was sure that the ongoing on and off pain that I had post surgery was not right, but the surgeon I went to kept assuring me that it was normal and to get deep tissue massage when it flared up. 2 1/2 years later (s**t time flies) I am back playing football, running and lifting weights. It was definitely not an overnight cure though. I have no chance of getting back into kick boxing because of rotation problems, and I get a lot of ITB/lower back problems that I assume are associated with the surgeries. That said though, the debilitating pain I got on the point of both sides of the hip has been fixed.

Would I do the surgery again? Tough call... The surgeon I went to charged way over the standard fee, so it cost me a small fortune. The results have been good, but whether it was THAT good, I'm not sure. I made sure I went to the best at the time though. Other friends of mine who had their hips operated on went to cheaper alternatives and have had to have follow up procedures done.

Thanks for sharing your experience, for me to be able to run and lift weights etc again is my goal/dream. It has been just over a month since my last magor flare up and even though I am walking were as 3 weeks ago walking was to painful there is no way I can go to the gym and lift weights or go back to BJJ or MMA. I want to train and run etc but I am worried that the surgery will not solve the problems I have now and I have to settle for a life of no sport. Doing a squat again would be the ultimate!!
Cheers again.

Thanks for sharing your experience, for me to be able to run and lift weights etc again is my goal/dream. It has been just over a month since my last magor flare up and even though I am walking were as 3 weeks ago walking was to painful there is no way I can go to the gym and lift weights or go back to BJJ or MMA. I want to train and run etc but I am worried that the surgery will not solve the problems I have now and I have to settle for a life of no sport. Doing a squat again would be the ultimate!!
Cheers again.

If they filed bone down then you'll haveca longer recovery time.

I have tears in my left and starting to get pain in my right... am avoiding surgery but miss running like anything. Is it really worth the trauma?

I have tears in my left and starting to get pain in my right... am avoiding surgery but miss running like anything. Is it really worth the trauma?
I don't know, this is what I am trying to understand aswell by speaking to people who have had the surgery 1 or 2 plus years ago. Remembering that each person has there own unique case, this is important.
I guess it all depends on the damage you have, the underlying causes and amount of pain. If you have a impingment then it will continue to cause damage if it is the cause of your damage now?
The more damage you have the less chance of surgery being a great success. This is the message that I have ascertain from others and reading studys and reports from the internet.
There is positives and negatives but one thing is clear people who have problems with their FAI usually end up with OA.
I have a friend who has had a labral tear repaired(not sure of method of repair) but she feels good. Her injury was from a fall and her operation was simple with no FAI etc.

You need to look into the extent off your damage and what is causing it. This is the mistake I made, i kept pushing through the pain and searching for answers from so called professionals in the mean time doing more damage. Not being able to run is a clear sign, that turns into not being able to walk for me sometimes.

I have cam type FAI in my right hip which will require bone work done to remove the impigment. Did you have bone work done and how long did it take to recover?

I had pincer impingement on both sides of my hip, and pretty big labral tears. Had them both repaired within three weeks. The big problem is apart from the first few weeks, there's no real timeline for recovery like with a broken bone or reco. Its very much an individual thing, and depends on just hiw much work they do. For about a year I regretted it, but now I'm laughing. I don't get hip pain at all - ever.

I had pincer impingement on both sides of my hip, and pretty big labral tears. Had them both repaired within three weeks. The big problem is apart from the first few weeks, there's no real timeline for recovery like with a broken bone or reco. Its very much an individual thing, and depends on just hiw much work they do. For about a year I regretted it, but now I'm laughing. I don't get hip pain at all - ever.

Great News!!

6 months of physio and strengthening excercises has failed to resolve frays in my labrum. Probably only a month or so away from surgery as if it hasnt showed vast improvement in 3 weeks im off to the surgeon the physio says.

running and walking dont bother me at all. Not even leg press and general gym work. The only thing that flares it up is kicking a ball and forceful changes of direction.

any ideas of op costs? Mines only a minor fray, just not healing properly unfortunately.

6 months of physio and strengthening excercises has failed to resolve frays in my labrum. Probably only a month or so away from surgery as if it hasnt showed vast improvement in 3 weeks im off to the surgeon the physio says.

running and walking dont bother me at all. Not even leg press and general gym work. The only thing that flares it up is kicking a ball and forceful changes of direction.

any ideas of op costs? Mines only a minor fray, just not healing properly unfortunately.
Depends on the surgeon, if going private you're looking at about 10k per hip, my surgeon was charging 4k, the overnight stay at hospital was 5k and then 1k for assistant/anesthetist, You'd get a bit back from Medicare and if you've got private health they should cover the hospital stay.

I actually was due to have my right done on 20/10 and then my left done on 5/11 but my health fund decided on 19/10 that they weren't going to cover me for anything! Pricks... Off to the ombudsman now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back