TigerTank

Premiership Player
Aug 24, 2000
Wendouree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
KC Chiefs, Royal Park FNC, Man City
Gee whiz, I was wondering who actually paid any notice at all to Mike Sheahan ... thanks for answering that question RICE80SF.

Mike Sheahan rates footballers according to what jumper they wear.

NEWS FLASH RICE ... Only Essendon supporters read and give a toss about Mike Sheahan's rubbish.

Stephen Reilly and Patrick Smith are thrice the football scribes 'Shite Mike' is!!

goatmaster

Senior List
Sep 3, 2000
I don't damn well remembe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Go The Mighty Hawks
1st declaration- I don't follow either North or Essendon
1st observation- Hurling abuse at champions because they don't play for your team is crap.
My thoughts- over the careers of Hird & Carey ,Carey wins by a street but it does look to be telling on him physically now.
Hird with 2 years less punishment is in better nick today but they are different altogether in the role they play.
To those who call either player soft****- get real- they both have great courage & a clear love of their club.
To people who spruik their hate of Carey - you are fools- he has been the best player in the 25 years I have watched the game by a street. The man has turned games & dominated like no other player ever has.
Hird is a magnificent player also - the best centre bounce player since Maurice Rioli - the best centre bounce player of all time!( I don't follow Richmond either)- add that to the uncanny ability to get the big goal/play (no coincidence the game Essendon lost this year was without Hird & you have a great player who is marvellous to watch.
To those trying to figure out who I support-
Hawthorn but a great player is a great player regardless of whon they play for.

RICE80SF

Senior List
Jun 14, 2000
Geelong, VIC. (Is Don Is Grand)
HELLO, Tiger Tart, dickhead, next time I'm being sarcastic I'll spell it out just for you okay. That's a good boy.

Silly me I thought me spelling out Carey was numero uno would have been enough, didn't allow for an in bred Tiger fan though did I.

Bye for now.

------------------
RED & BLACK BACK to BACK 2001!

Bomber

Debutant
Feb 1, 2000
So far, Carey has been a better player than Hird no doubt. They are different players, but overall, Carey has been better.

To call Hird a soft**** is stupid, and any team would love him on their list. I dont think anyone would play a game with a stress-fracture in their foot.

Its a fallacy to use the opponents argument here, as the most well known defender is usually a big player and needs to take a big forward. Putting the number one big defender on hird would be silly, as Hird would take him apart with mobility, intelligence and fitness. Yes, Carey gets the best defender, but Hird also attracts the most qualified defender, and is almost tagged by the best player the opposition has to match up on him. In many ways this oppoenent is better suited to Hird than the best defender picking up Carey. They both gain the utmost respect and opponents dont need to be mentioned.

Kouta is a fantastic athlete, but one-off seasons here and there does not put your career anywhere near Hird's or Carey's. However, in saying that Kouta's season this year was probably better than Hird's and Carey's.

TigerTank

Premiership Player
Aug 24, 2000
Wendouree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
KC Chiefs, Royal Park FNC, Man City
Oh how deliciously IRONIC!

Being called "in bred" (the word is 'inbred', perhaps that's sarcasm too?) by an Essendon supporter from Geelong. That's genuinely funny.

And by the way, you are about as fair-minded as I am. Don't kid yourself.

Apr 3, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Originally posted by walshy1993:
hird was never going to leave the club, that was just the media over playing the real story

Sorry Welshy... have it on good authority... his bags were packed and he was heading to Sydney...
eek.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
eek.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
eek.gif

[This message has been edited by Rooboy 96 (edited 06 September 2000).]

S

silent

It is interesting that Wayne Carey is always the measuring stick. Even more interesting and unusual is that Jimmy has picked up by video for particpation in a melle. Who said he was soft ?

Bomber

Yeah, that's a good point about using the defenders argument in reference to Carey and Hird, but what cannot be argued is that Carey will often have two or three players keeping him company. Hird doesn't have that. The other problem for the opposition when facing Essendon is that you have so many forward options and few teams can cover them all. Scott Lucas would be the "go-to" man in most other teams, but he's the third option up forward. Not only that, Hird and Lloyd are both very good in the air, in the packs, and off the ground.

Back to the intelligence of Hird's play though, at the Essendon vs Carlton final, I spent about 5 minutes watching the Hird vs Beaumont battle. Beaumont made sure that he had a hand on Hird at all times, but as soon as the ball reached the centre line going forward, Hird would start running and trying to get a metre on Beaumont. He'd run one angle, Beaumont would follow, then he'd stop and switch directions, go back...eventually, he'd get a gap on his opponent and lead into space. I guess when you're watching your own team play and your forward leads into space and gets the mark for an easy goal, you don't really see how much work the forward puts into creating that lead. I was just amazed by the movement and the contest between the two players. Hird makes it look so easy, but spend some time watching him and it's amazing how much work he puts into what he does on the field.

Bomber

Debutant
Feb 1, 2000
Yea, all forwards need to work really hard to find space. Defenders always hold and are always given the benefit of the doubt.

Glen Manton is a huge offender - watch him at games, even tho in fairness to him he is pretty useless and must cheat to force a contest, it is a joke he is never picked up for it. I still cant believe that guy is playing senior footy. I cant believe they have him on the footy show either - they have all stars, then Manton - the big mouth who only got into that Carlton side this year due to Christou's injury!

walshy1993

Club Legend
Jun 4, 2000
Melbourne, (ESSENDON)
rice you are spot on about ordinary players winnig norm smith medals
but
champion players prove them selves in big games
would shannon grant have got a kick if north lost that grand final??? no, he is a front runner
hird proved himself in the biggest game of his life

rooboy i have it on greater authority that hird was only leaving to sydney because that is what his manager published to get him more money and trust me my source doesnt get much better

and just on that charity bullshit that someone bought up about hird not donating a jumper.
does anyone remember a little incident in king.st (ironic isnt it) something along the lines of "why dont you get a bigger set of ****" good role model for the kids isnt he

Arch

Club Legend
Jan 24, 2000
The Pub.
apples and oranges. hmmm. who said that ???
wink.gif

most apt point there.

first of all- neither is soft. those with brains here know it. no point going on about it.

compare them when at their best. Of course Carey has not been his best this year. Maybe he is in decline, but correct me if im wrong- he knows he wont play more than 1 or 2 yrs more. Hes played through adversity, and injury and been the most inspirational and intimidating leader for the Roos for a long time. Also, he was given the captaincy at a very very early stage in his career and took that on admirably.
anyway- Carey at his devastating best will ice a game in 10 minutes, with huge marks, long goals, slick h/balls to guys running full pelt at the goal. I wont forget Careys performance in a losing side
wink.gif
agnst us in 99. Ten goals. pure brilliance, spectacular.
Carey has attracted 2 and more opponents for many years, but mostly because of his size and height and the fact he's mostly been propped near the 50 arc.
Hirds best is probably still in front of him. His effort agnst west coast in that 96 semi, was amazing, close to his best, hard running, tackling, great kicking for goal. he was a star that day. ive seen him play just as well in many other games, but Hirds team play, ball winning, slick hands and footskills are better than Careys i reckon.
For pure devastating- in yer face- effectivenss carey is your man.

Anyway enough ten to five waffle from me.

Id rather have Hird in my team anyday, i think hes more consistant (ignoring the damn stress fractures of course). But in his most red-hot-on-fire destructive mood, Carey is better. Just a matter of how often that occurs though.

ciao.

A.

5IVE

Golden boy here to stick up for me mate Carey cos when he took that squeeze he was pissed as a fart. When I shat on that scaumbag footy club I woz sober and it felt great making those working class bastids cry ha ha ha hah ah Tania come over here cuz thinking of Carey I need ta give youse a squeeze ha ha ha

Fantastic and lively debate everyone (well nearly everyone!). For me I'll go with the oranges and apples thing-all too hard, but my bias gets Wayne over the line. Sorry Rooboy96 but I can't call Hirdy soft,I think he's a surprisingly tough cookie. I wouldn't take much heed of the NS medal though as there was flip all opposition!

M

Michele

Arch,

Obviously you did not see any North games this year. For nearly the first half of H&A, Carey played at CHB and was BOG and the media raved on about him.

He is NOT in decline.

He and Kouta received nearly the same amount of votes in the first half of the year - very few.

Interesting article in The Age Sun or Mon. re the lack of umpires votes for Carey this year, yet he was leading in a few player awards. That was after he was injured in Rd 2. Not bad for a player 'in decline' to give others a head start and still catch them

ArdenSt

Senior List
Jul 30, 2000
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Great posts by RICE80SF, goatmaster and Arch. Good unbiased comment. Clearly both players are champions is all aspects on the field, and should be recognised as such. There can be no doubting the courage of either player, but certainly for the dominance he has had over such a long period time, I would place Carey narrowly in front. But Hird has got some great football in front of him, and would currently be at the heights of his power. There is no doubting he is a great player.

Cheers, ArdenSt

Arch

Club Legend
Jan 24, 2000
The Pub.
Michele,
well its an opinion based on this years finals series (in which he hasnt played at his best) and 2nd half of the season, and the fact he has carried so many injuries, hes not as fantastic a player as he has been in previous seasons. I agree his play at CHB in the 1st half of the year was great. Possibly because of the shock value of playing him down back.(?)
He plans to only play one or two more years. I dont think we'll be seeing BETTER football from the man than weve already seen throughout his career.
OK?

A.

Apr 3, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I apologise to all those who think Hird is not a soft****... you are allowed your opinion...

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Tell me something... how many games did prettyboy miss this year through injury...

It would be nice to see him play a season out for a change... but then I doubt he ever will...

BTW Welshy first you say it was the MEDIA that were pushing the Sydney move... now you have it on good authority it was his MANAGER... Face up to it you know I am right and it hurts...

crowz4eva

Senior List
Nov 30, 2000
There is no chance hird is better than carey. Carey has won games for north of his own boot, and north arnt like essendon, all-star team. Hird wouldnt be as good without the good players around him! and yes HIRDY DOES HAVE BIG EARS!

C

Crows are fags

You can allways tell a SOuth Australian. Lack of brains and smelly Big Ears? How intelligent.

servo

All Australian
Apr 29, 2000
adelaide
OK C r F if you are gunna slag off at all Sth Aussies just because one of em is showing a lack of judgement then at least use your registered name. If your not registered then either get registered, dont be abusive or get off.

Back