TheExtractorFactor

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
New York Knicks/Football Giants
Last edited by a moderator:

JAMES Hird will be welcomed back to football with the honour of presenting the Norm Smith Medal to the player judged best on the ground at this year’s Grand Final.

The gesture comes just four years after the AFL banished Hird at the height of the Essendon drugs saga, and two years on from his exit as Bombers coach.

The Herald Sun can reveal AFL bosses have written to Hird, inviting him to return to the spotlight on football’s biggest day.

Hird is holidaying overseas with his family and is yet to open the letter. The AFL confirmed it had issued the invitation, but was yet to hear back from Hird.

But tonight Hird said he would accept the honour, which will see him on the premiership dais come September 30.

“If they (have asked me), I would love to do it,” Hird told the Herald Sun from Europe.

“It would just be good to be out there on Grand Final day. It’s obviously the best day in the footy calendar, so it would be a nice experience.”

The league’s invitation will be viewed as the first significant step towards mending its fractured relationship with Essendon’s former golden boy.

But the AFL is simply sticking to a hidden tradition.

The AFL follows the order of past Norm Smith winners to determine who presents the medal, which until today has been kept a secret outside of league headquarters.

Shannon Grant (1999 winner) awarded Western Bulldog Jason Johannisen his Norm Smith last year, Andrew McLeod (1997-98 winner) presented Cyril Rioli with his in 2015, Glenn Archer (1996 winner) gave Luke Hodge his in 2014 while Greg Williams placed the medal around Brian Lake’s neck in 2013.

As the 2000 Norm Smith Medallist, this season is Hird’s turn.

Even Hird was unaware of the AFL’s sequence.

“I didn’t know that was the way they did it — but I’m glad it is,” he said.

Hird is one of just six players to win both a Brownlow Medal and a Norm Smith — along with Jimmy Bartel, Chris Judd, Simon Black, Nathan Buckley and Greg Williams.

Bartel explained last Grand Final day how cherished his Norm Smith was.

“I value them both equally. But emotionally right now (on Grand Final day) I probably (prefer) the Norm Smith Medal,” Bartel said.

“Because it’s Grand Final day and at least I’ve played a little bit of a role in helping us win a premiership.”

Judd and Buckley won their Norm Smith Medals in losing Grand Finals.

Article link: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...l/news-story/e3b1ade98bf4592af9bd6401e1b70d64

MsafASJ1QSq4ZVq8DJyBxgyV1HW_e3NHB_GEREUnxqv18he5FfXzhJDucE1v_zBAflvigaYHpeYjUNAhl3-w_42xKclRFVH1bhqhaEOU5hY8aBNOZuQC9e4=w375-h281-nc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if the AFL have fully thought this through.
80,000 - 100,000 folks who have been on the drink all day with the focal point of one of the biggest scandals the game has seen.

The boos could be setting off Richter scales for miles around.

80,000 - 100,000 folks who have been on the drink all day with the focal point of one of the biggest scandals the game has seen.

I think the boos from people at their tv's and pubs will echo that far too.

Lotsa corporates at the GF...might mitigate it somewhat, although in my experience it's usually the privileged *sticks that act the worst...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back