Hird To Present Norm Smith Medal at 2017 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Was Dank employed by the EFC?
Did he deliberately cheat?

Someone from the EFC deliberately cheated.

Honestly? No, I don't think he did.

I find it very hard to accept he'd deliberately cheat and then openly admit it to a journo in an interview, as he did. It makes no sense whatsoever.

I doubt he had anywhere near the knowledge of science - or the anti doping code - that he thought he did.

Honestly? No, I don't think he did.

I find it very hard to accept he'd deliberately cheat and then openly admit it to a journo in an interview, as he did. It makes no sense whatsoever.

I doubt he had anywhere near the knowledge of science - or the anti doping code - that he thought he did.
I don't think anyone would argue they set out to implement an illegal doping program. But they did set out to implement a supplements program, they didn't care enough about whether it was illegal because they cared more about enhancing their performance. There were plenty of wanring signs that were ingored. As I said before, willful ignorance. Not just 'poor governance'.

I don't think anyone would argue they set out to implement an illegal doping program. But they did set out to implement a supplements program, they didn't care enough about whether it was illegal because they cared more about enhancing their performance. There were plenty of wanring signs that were ingored. As I said before, willful ignorance. Not just 'poor governance'.

You're new here aren't you?

I don't think anyone would argue they set out to implement an illegal doping program.

Actually that's precisely what the conspiracy theorists believe.

But they did set out to implement a supplements program, they didn't care enough about whether it was illegal because they cared more about enhancing their performance. There were plenty of wanring signs that were ingored.As I said before, willful ignorance. Not just 'poor governance'.

Perhaps. But there's also a huge amount of hindsight in the post saga world

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol. If you weren't an Essendon supporter I'd say you are taking the piss. But for the true Hirdites out there, I recommend "PC for Dummies".

If in doubt, just assume I'm taking the piss. :)
Though I know where to find the super secret files which you've deleted on your computer.
They'll be in the recycle bin. :)

Yeah well some of those text messages sure looked pretty suspect.

Hird believed collingwood were taking human growth hormone. The texts make that clear.
He wanted to catch up.

He wanted to do that and enlisted the help of a convicted steroid smuggler.

But the learned folk in this thread will have you believe that he did that not with the intention to cheat. He was going to get his players as big and strong as those hgh fuelled monsters at collingwood legally. Because who better to arrange legal drugs than a bodybuilder?

Hird believed collingwood were taking human growth hormone. The texts make that clear.
He wanted to catch up.

But the learned folk in this thread will have you believe that he did that not with the intention to cheat. He was going to get his players as big and strong as those hgh fuelled monsters at collingwood legally. Because who better to arrange legal drugs than a bodybuilder?

Rubbish. Your first sentence is false, and you want people to read on...?

No, the most common argument I've seen is that they tried to get experimental and as a result crossed into illegal. Then they tried to hide it. There was definite intent to be on the cutting edge but ignorance of where the line is is no excuse for crossing that line.
They thought they'd found a way to step over the line without getting caught.

It's why the injections had to be kept secret, as they thought it was a loophole in the code, and that they were ahead of the curve, with really good IP.

"Essendon's 2012 supplements program involved a ploy to circumvent anti-doping rules banning substances not approved for human use by "doctor shopping" in an attempt to get prescriptions to obtain drugs from a compounding pharmacist.

A small number of Essendon officials last year believed that having drugs prescribed by a doctor and then supplied by a compounding pharmacist meant the World Anti-Doping Agency's ban on substances not approved for human use no longer applied."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/essendon-in-doctor-shopping-to-beat-ban-20130722-2qf3x.html

The idea that no one knew what Dank was doing is just ridiculously ludicrous, and why no one has bothered to pursue him, AFLPA included.

Last edited:
If he came clean (no pun intended), asked for the general public's forgiveness and was contrite then he'd probably be welcomed back in a few years time to cheers. It's only his attitude to blame

He wanted to catch up.

I'd love to know who the 'monsters' were at Collingwood at the time. Apart from Cloke, can't really think of any massive bodied brutes.

Then again, maybe it wasn't 'monsterous' in terms of overall physical size. Didn't Hirdy have a 2 week erection as a side effect for what he injected into his own body?

I think a 2 week erection is sufficient punishment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back