News Hird to present this year's Norm Smith (due to previous win)

Remove this Banner Ad

Even putting the moral arguments aside, he is going to get booed which will make the whole exercise look very ill-conceived and embarrassing.
Yep, I think he will decline the invitation, he has had some mental health battles recently, bad move by the AFL to even ask him.

Yep, I think he will decline the invitation, he has had some mental health battles recently, bad move by the AFL to even ask him.
Think he's been on the list to present it for a while. Think they have an order going based on achievements - not sure exactly how it got made up

Edit - it's norm Smith order. Grant did it last year hird this year, so next year Shaun Hart then Buckley then black

So the AFL would have had to actively overlook him.

Damned if you do damned if you don't. Word is he will accept. But he will get booed. But he has to start facing up to that eventually - it's never going to go away

Think he's been on the list to present it for a while. Think they have an order going based on achievements - not sure exactly how it got made up

Edit - it's norm Smith order. Grant did it last year hird this year, so next year Shaun Hart then Buckley then black

I'm still smarting that Voss was overlooked for the 2002 Norm Smith medal and the decision to award it to Buckley was made at three quarter time.

Given Voss' heroic last quarter, you could say he was robbed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember the end of The Late Show, where Mick Molloy was responsible for booking the talent, but always got a namesake, like Jimmy Hannan instead of Jimmy Barnes, or Hayley Lewis instead of Huey Lewis?
They should get Amber Heard to present the Norm Smith this year.
What about James Earl Jones or Harold Hird?

Yeah, like 20.

Like never. I understand the afl may want to him back into the fold and support him but that should be done without him being used as a public face.

The decision to use him will be scrutinised and dissected, and the whole saga will dragged back out and flogged. Not good for afl and not good for his mental health.

Also, there are many who don't respect him (including me) and don't think he deserves to be a flag carrier for the sport.

Edit- have now read why he is invited to present. Still don't like it - he did a lot of damage to himself, his club and afl and refused to be a grown up and take responsibility (obviously not a fellow clique member).

Last edited:
The AFL has invited James Hird to present the Norm Smith medal at this years grand final. Is it just me, I feel it is too early after the debacle at Essendon, I'm all for second chances and forgiveness but should have been left a few more years IMO.
Cannot believe they have made this decision. He will be booed & jeered to an embarrassing level which will take away from the Norm Smith winners moment. Stupid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back