His best is yet to come

Why did he start as sub in preliminary final? Only played 14 games too, was that injury or Kenny Hinkley not liking pepper?

I feel there is a relationship issue with the coach

SPP has all the right attributes and skills to be a far better player than what he is. Fingers crossed he unlocks that potential.

If Sicily can get through the next few years unscathed, he has multiple AA potential.

Absolute gun, with a completely unpunchable face.

Jul 30, 2011
Right behind you
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Gunners & Steelers
If Sicily can get through the next few years unscathed, he has multiple AA potential.

Absolute gun, with a completely unpunchable face.
He is definitely right up there with the best when fit, but I don’t think any hawks player is ever unpunchable

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Luke McDonald. B&F in 2020, injured for most of 2021.

He should literally play 3-4 years of top notch footy at half back/defensive winger.

Clayton Oliver is 24.

So basically guys who aren't considered young anymore, their talent is a little forgotten about but they could end up in that A-grade bracket at some stage.

Adelaide - Brodie Smith (I know he was AA in 2014, but you know...)
Brisbane - Marcus Adams
Carlton - Charlie Curnow
Collingwood - JDG
Essendon - James Stewart
Fremantle - Alex Pearce
Geelong - Jack Henry
Gold Coast - Bowes
GWS - Hopper
Hawthorn - Scrimshaw
Melbourne - (struggling) Brayshaw to eventually be released back into the stoppages
North Melbourne - Ben McKay
Port Adelaide - Dan Houston
Richmond - Baker
Sydney - Ollie Florent
St Kilda - Jade Gresham
West Coast - Willie Rioli
Western Bulldogs - Toby McLean
Gus can’t be released back to the stoppages because the concussion risk is too great for him to play a role there, 2018 aside. He’s now nailed the wing from a positional/team point of view, and the grand final (probably top 5 BOG) showed what he can do as a winger when the game is on the line and it’s ‘worth’ him putting his body on the line (ie the context of a big final - no point risking brain damage each week of the H&A season when the team can carry him as a role player)

Mar 26, 2012
Block 123
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, FC St. Pauli
Hopefully Darcy Tucker for us but I'm not holding my breath

tubthumper

Debutant
Dec 30, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
From the Saints; Dan McKenzie.
Not suggesting for a minute he's going to be become a superstar, but took a big step in 2021 in terms of output and consistency and became an important part of the team as a defensive wingman, after spending the 6 years prior very much on the fringe.
If he can add a more offensive side to his game in 2022, he could well surprise a few.

from the club i support,has to be 'George' Castagna,has 3 flags in the cupboard but yet to take a game by the scruff of the neck in 6 seasons
C'mon George make it 2022

He actually did in the 2019 GF, but his finishing cost him. I think it was 0-5 with an OOF. If he'd converted 4 of those shots he would have won the NSM.

Hopefully for us Peter Wright, not going to make the AA team but 40 goals a year for a few years would be nice.
I reckon he will

40 goals and a good pinch hitting ruckman

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Taylor Moss

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I could easily see him not playing another game or getting a couple at the end of the year for investigative purposes.

Dunno why the Eagles bothered tbh. He looked state league standard at the Giants and with Rioli returning I'm assuming West Coast will be hard pressed to play him.
Jagged the first goal one day at Marvel for us. Won me dinner at Rubira’s that goal. Bloke is a genius as far as I’m concerned 🤣

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
If James Worpel can have a better season than he did as a 19 year old winning best and fairest, our rebuild will be right on track. Always goes up a gear when one of O'Meara or Mitchell miss a game, but he may be one who can truely flourish from Sam Mitchells new direction.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
SPP, Houston Amon and Aliir all have an extra gear
SPP could make it as a decent midfielder but there's been little improvement and I'm not sure Port will feel the need to give him full time midfield opportunity. Amon was sensational in 2021, can he really get better? Aliir is a question of consistency, I'm not entirely convinced he'll ever be that kind of player though.

Houston is an interesting one. Could jump up and be a fulltime mid but I'd probably go the other way and stop the experimenting with him in the midfield and be happy with him playing full time in the backline at a very high level.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Adel - Wayne Milera
Bris - J Berry
Carl - Cuningham
Coll - Darcy Cameron
Ess - Tom Cutler
Freo - Alex Pearce
Geel - Esava
GC - Ainsworth
GWS - Taranto
Haw - Impey
Melb - Jayden Hunt
North - Luke McDonald
Port - Finlayson
Rich - Jack Graham
St K - Billings
Syd - Hayward
WC - Willie Riolo
WB -Tim O'Brien

SPP could make it as a decent midfielder but there's been little improvement and I'm not sure Port will feel the need to give him full time midfield opportunity. Amon was sensational in 2021, can he really get better? Aliir is a question of consistency, I'm not entirely convinced he'll ever be that kind of player though.

Houston is an interesting one. Could jump up and be a fulltime mid but I'd probably go the other way and stop the experimenting with him in the midfield and be happy with him playing full time in the backline at a very high level.

you have a good understanding of our squad

SPP could be anything but he has such a long way to go to be up there with the leagues best. I'd prefer he didn't bother trying to be an elite mid but apply himself to score more goals on the half forward line and apply defensive pressure.

Amon's only opportunity to improve would be to deliver in the middle what he currently does on the wing. This allows Rozee or Burton to move onto the wing.

Aliir will be the bellwether of our defence. If he's playing well, that means he's playing loose and intercepting marks, as our lock down defenders are holding firm. We've picked up Sam Skinner who is a mature aged defender, which may add much needed height to our midget KPD of McKenzie, Burton, Jonas and Clurey.

Houston is a better defender or forward, than a midfielder. Personally I would play him as a marking target in the forward pocket, who can kick straight and already mastered defensive efforts.

add sam skinner to port's list

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I could easily see him not playing another game or getting a couple at the end of the year for investigative purposes.

Dunno why the Eagles bothered tbh. He looked state league standard at the Giants and with Rioli returning I'm assuming West Coast will be hard pressed to play him.

I didn't follow him closely at the Giants but since he's joined us I haven't seen anything to get excited about. At least Petruccelle is really fast, even if he does nothing with his pace.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
So basically guys who aren't considered young anymore, their talent is a little forgotten about but they could end up in that A-grade bracket at some stage.

Adelaide - Brodie Smith (I know he was AA in 2014, but you know...)
Brisbane - Marcus Adams
Carlton - Charlie Curnow
Collingwood - JDG
Essendon - James Stewart
Fremantle - Alex Pearce
Geelong - Jack Henry
Gold Coast - Bowes
GWS - Hopper
Hawthorn - Scrimshaw
Melbourne - (struggling) Brayshaw to eventually be released back into the stoppages
North Melbourne - Ben McKay
Port Adelaide - Dan Houston
Richmond - Baker
Sydney - Ollie Florent
St Kilda - Jade Gresham
West Coast - Willie Rioli
Western Bulldogs - Toby McLean

Very good list.

Id query Hopper in this thread.

He seems to have had a steady upward trajectory and is pretty well regarded and not very old (24).

Houston just had a massive season already.

Last edited:

LuckyBounce!

All Australian
May 3, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Adel - Wayne Milera
Bris - J Berry
Carl - Cuningham
Coll - Darcy Cameron
Ess - Tom Cutler
Freo - Alex Pearce
Geel - Esava
GC - Ainsworth
GWS - Taranto
Haw - Impey
Melb - Jayden Hunt
North - Luke McDonald
Port - Finlayson
Rich - Jack Graham
St K - Billings
Syd - Hayward
WC - Willie Riolo
WB -Tim O'Brien

I hope you are right on Billings and I have been bullish on him for a long time but although he was injured most of last year he needs to put together some high class footy for a whole season soon and not just patches before it’s too late

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I feel like this thread should be limited to players over 25?

Rich was 26 when Fagan arrived.

Plenty of threads in BigFooty already just naming young players who are going to improve?

For the Swans I'll say Robbie Fox.
Obscure fringe player. 28yo.
But I think maybe he can find another level.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Kayne Turner is another one at North. After years as a small forward that didn’t kick goals, it’s now undisputed his worth for the team. After only 1 year as a small defender, you’d think he will get better again this year.

Back