Historic Match

Remove this Banner Ad

The link was what I got from my search. If not mistaken it is the first ever Test match. Well that is historical too. The match the Centenary Test was commemorating. The one that had the same 45 run win to the Aussies. Sorry for the mislead.
If you are interested in a description of the first Test in 1877 and the 1882 Ashes game or Cricket History in general, then there is a terrific Podcast Series called oddly enough "History of Cricket". It covers all Test Nations and starts from 1877 and is up to 1956-57 at the moment. A great series well worth a listen.
You can download episodes from here or search for it in Itunes.
https://historyofcricket.podbean.com

Footnote: Spofforth took 14/90 in the 1882 game.

Edit: It looks like the Itunes version only goes back to 1902. For episodes before that you will have to use the Podbean site and click on Older episodes at the bottom of each to get back to 1877.

Last edited:
If you are interested in a description of the first Test in 1877 and the 1882 Ashes game or Cricket History in general, then there is a terrific Podcast Series called oddly enough "History of Cricket". It covers all Test Nations and starts from 1877 and is up to 1956-57 at the moment. A great series well worth a listen.

Edit: It looks like the Itunes version only goes back to 1902. For episodes before that you will have to use the Podbean site and click on Older episodes at the bottom of each to get back to 1877.
Brilliant. :clapping:

Great to get an insite into Tests played before I was born.

Last edited:
The Bannerman record of highest percentage of runs in a complete innings has become the holy grail where records are concerned.
Bannerman's 165n.o. is still the highest score by an Australian on debut as well. England, New Zealand, India, West Indies, Sri Lanka, South Africa and Pakistan all have at least one debutant beat that mark, but for some reason we can't. 5 players have got within 15 runs of the score, Archie Jackson (164), Kepler Wessels (162), Wayne Phillips (159), Doug Walters (155) and Micheal Clarke (151), but got themselves out.

The Bannerman record of highest percentage of runs in a complete innings has become the holy grail where records are concerned.

Was nearly broken in that Afghan Test earlier this year. I wonder how that would've went down with those cricket purists?

Was nearly broken in that Afghan Test earlier this year. I wonder how that would've went down with those cricket purists?

tbh i'd be fine with it. Doesn't look like it was nearly broken though.

if you are old enough to remember the second innings on the list is from Michael Slater which was a highly controversial innings where he was clearly run out but was running way to the side of the pitch so the 3rd umpire couldn't see the line correctly.

Bannerman's 165n.o. is still the highest score by an Australian on debut as well. England, New Zealand, India, West Indies, Sri Lanka, South Africa and Pakistan all have at least one debutant beat that mark, but for some reason we can't. 5 players have got within 15 runs of the score, Archie Jackson (164), Kepler Wessels (162), Wayne Phillips (159), Doug Walters (155) and Micheal Clarke (151), but got themselves out.
That one must have been fated to stand, given the number of times that players have gone close to it and got out.
Jackson - 164
Wessels - 162
Phillips - 159
Walters - 155
Clarke - 151

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ve started listening to the early episodes.

The link was what I got from my search. If not mistaken it is the first ever Test match. Well that is historical too. The match the Centenary Test was commemorating. The one that had the same 45 run win to the Aussies. Sorry for the mislead.
Interestingly "Test" status wasn't a thing until much later so it was only retroactively described as the first Test match I think just by a cricket historian who somewhat arbitrarily judged the quality of tours dubbing the some Tests. Still historic, but at the time I'm not sure if it would have been considered particularly more historic than other English tours (IIRC the first time an English cricket team toured Australia was in the early/mid 1860's).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back