(historical) Preston Junior DFL (assume this is the most appropriate board?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Preston region of Melbourne would be more of a DVFL, oops, NFL area than an EssDFL one, right? If anyone knows a more appropriate forum ( no wise cracks thanks :p ), feel free to let me know.

If so, I was contacted recently by a bloke who has some old photos of North Reservoir FC in the 1950s. He wanted to know who might be interested, and I'm sure some of you buggers might be up to spending a moment having a look. Maybe you or your Dad, or sneaky uncle, might appear in one of the snaps.

So here we are:
North Reservoir FC 1954
nthreserfc1954.jpg

North Reservoir FC mid-1950s (exact year unknown)
nthreserfcmid1950s.jpg

Cheers

Great photos BTW, and I believe that North Reservoir were the junior clubs of both Anthony & Sav Rocca (they were called North Reservoir/Lakeside).

They folded in the mid 90's in the DVFL, and their feeder team, Reservoir/Lakeside were taken over by West Preston.

Great photos BTW, and I believe that North Reservoir were the junior clubs of both Anthony & Sav Rocca (they were called North Reservoir/Lakeside).

They folded in the mid 90's in the DVFL, and their feeder team, Reservoir/Lakeside were taken over by West Preston.

Have to agree, some great photos, but a pity that there are no names there. Would love to know their/any connections to today's players, etc. It's great looking and reading all the old football history from the area.
North Reservoir were reasonably successful in the old Preston District Junor Football Association (PDJFA) before crossing to the then DVFL in the late 80s where the club had limited success without any of its teams winning premierships before folding in the mid-90s.
And yes, the Rocca boys did come from North Reservoir.
While the old 'Lakies players and members may disagree, it was an actual merger with West Preston in '98.
Any more photos Mobbenfuhrer ?

Not at this point anyway, sorry. A bloke contacted me because he'd seen posts by "play on" (Collignwood fan who I met once at a Fitzroy Reds match and no I'm not going back to fix that typo its yucky enough typing the name once), about the PDJFA. He signed up for Bigfooty only to find "play on" has not been here for 3 years (maybe he's over at Nicks BB?), then he saw me discussing history with play on in a thread so contacted me and asked if I'd like to see 'em. I basically said "No ... but I knooooow who woooooooo-oooooould" :)

Maybe he'll jump on this thread himself and have a chat.

Great old photos from a great old competition. Have similar ones from my old pappy's days at Preston Wanderers.
Unfortunately many of the old PDJFA clubs like Nth Reservoir went the way of the dinosaurs - East Reservoir, Reservoir Old Boys, Regent Scouts, Preston Scouts, Preston Swimmers, Preston Wanderers, Olympic, Heid Colts, Kingsbury etc.
Bundoora, Banyule & Keon Park are a few still in existence who had their genesis in the PDJFA. I'm sure other B/F posters can add to the list.

Thanks Mobbenfuhrer for posting the pics. I found them in my late fathers papers just last week. If I find any more I'll make them available. I am sorry I can't assdociate any of thr faces with later fame. I was 8 in '54 & it was all about the games, bottle drives & pie nights to me.

Max Westwood is wearing the hat in both pics & his son Kevin played & is in the second pic, middle row rh end next to my father George Ross.

Len Thompson played maybe at the end of the 50s & later went to Collingwood.
Any Big Footy members who are members of Friends Reunited will find 19 old North Reser players going back to '59 at :

http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/Si...uYW1lZQUEcGFnZQUBMMjGPFnSb9MwYUgZJQto3cnKujo3

The balding gentleman in both photos is Robert Radcliffe. As well as his involvement with Nth Reservoir, Bob was a founding member of the Keon Park Cricket Club (1953) and Keon Park Stars JFC (1961). The pavilion at Donath Reserve is named in his honour.

The origins of the PDJFA.

Towards the end of 1943, three civic minded gentlemen who were associated with the Preston Football Club, Mr Perry, Mr Goldspink and Mr Miers decided to do something about the large number of youths wandering the streets with little to occupy their time and with most of their fathers at the war, the opportunity for getting into trouble was very great.

After considerable planning these gentlemen gathered their forces and approached every youth club, church, school and swimming club in the municipality.

Their efforts bore fruit with support received from eight organisations: Presbyterian Boys Club, Regent, East Preston Methodists, Preston Swimmers, Rivoli, East Preston, West Preston Boys Club and Preston Boys Club making the basis for the competition to begin in 1944.

In the meantime, meetings were called and Mr HP Zwar, owner of Zwar's Tannery was elected President, Mr W Perry (the local barber) was elected Treasurer and Mr Campbell as Secretary. Kevin Larkins was elected as Minute Secretary and later went on to be Mayor of the City of Preston.

The next important decision was to give the competition a name and after lengthy discussion the pro VFA group won the day and the competitions name was agreed upon as Preston District Junior Football Association.

The balding gentleman in both photos is Robert Radcliffe. As well as his involvement with Nth Reservoir, Bob was a founding member of the Keon Park Cricket Club (1953) and Keon Park Stars JFC (1961). The pavilion at Donath Reserve is named in his honour.

The origins of the PDJFA.

Towards the end of 1943, three civic minded gentlemen who were associated with the Preston Football Club, Mr Perry, Mr Goldspink and Mr Miers decided to do something about the large number of youths wandering the streets with little to occupy their time and with most of their fathers at the war, the opportunity for getting into trouble was very great.

After considerable planning these gentlemen gathered their forces and approached every youth club, church, school and swimming club in the municipality.

Their efforts bore fruit with support received from eight organisations: Presbyterian Boys Club, Regent, East Preston Methodists, Preston Swimmers, Rivoli, East Preston, West Preston Boys Club and Preston Boys Club making the basis for the competition to begin in 1944.

In the meantime, meetings were called and Mr HP Zwar, owner of Zwar's Tannery was elected President, Mr W Perry (the local barber) was elected Treasurer and Mr Campbell as Secretary. Kevin Larkins was elected as Minute Secretary and later went on to be Mayor of the City of Preston.

The next important decision was to give the competition a name and after lengthy discussion the pro VFA group won the day and the competitions name was agreed upon as Preston District Junior Football Association.

Mr Historian, thanks for the update, very interesting.
Not sure if you know/are aware, but I would guess that the Mr Gloldspink referred to in your brief outline could be the father of Ron (local Jika and DVCA Umpire) and grandfather of Darren (AFL Umpire) ?

Thanks Historian for the Robert Radcliffe ID. I had Bob in my head & I thought he lived at the top of Jinghi Rd. Len Thompson lived at No. 18 & the Westwoods were at No. 22; I was at No. 17.

Doug Fairchild , player Nth Reser 1960-1962, tells me that Ian McCrae played around 100 games for Fitzroy & ran in the Stawell Gift. He is in the second photo front row, 3rd from the left.

Bless historians & collectors for preserving the past.

Mr Historian, thanks for the update, very interesting.
Not sure if you know/are aware, but I would guess that the Mr Gloldspink referred to in your brief outline could be the father of Ron (local Jika and DVCA Umpire) and grandfather of Darren (AFL Umpire) ?

Great pics I will pass on to my old man who is (was) a Life Member of Lakies, I can remember that jumper being my first.

And Yes that Goldspink is related to the Ump, I only know as me old man was Darrens U/12 coach, and yes I blame him.......

Being an old North Rvoir and Lakies player it was good to see those photos, however they were a little bit before my time. I may be able to put a name to some faces.
Photo 1 middle row 2nd from right, might be Neville Cairns. Photo 2 middle row 1st left and 2nd from right could be Kevin Westwood Snr and Kevin Westwood Jnr respectively. I hope I have got these right however time has dimmed the memory

@font-face { font-family: "Times New Roman"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }table.MsoNormalTable { font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } Graeme Atkinson has provided the following:

Both photos are from 1954, which was actually the first year of North Reser. (Great club - I played there 1958-62, my Dad was coach, President, Life Member).

The top photo, is the B Grade Under 16 team.
Back: Mr R. Radcliffe (Sec), C. O'Gorman, R. Shickert, F. Smith (think he had a few games with Collingwood, won B&F in 3rds), Mr F. Taylor (owned the newsagents in Edwardes St), B. Duggan, Roy Ward (President of DVFL for years), R. Augustus, B, Burt, Mr G. Ross.

Centre: G.Taylor, L. Chisholm, R. White (VC) (pl with Preston...seem to recall won Comp B&F in 2nds. Played in Preston’s 1963 premiership?), Max Westwood (Pres), J.Lambie (capt - 65 games with Preston, B&F, leading GK), Paul Anderson (Treasurer..for about 30 years!! Also Treasurer of PDJFA for almost as long!), H. Draper, N. Cairns, P. Slaney (who was actually the U14 captain but apparently went up to the 16's as he's marked as 'absent' in the Under 14's photo)
Front: R. Frigo, A.Taylor, A. Morton, A. Causins, P. Harrison

The lower pic is C Grade Under 14 - (apparently it came in half way through the season when Keon Park Boys dropped out & North Reser took them over.)

Back: Mr Paul Anderson, A. Duncombe (played with Lakies for years), P. Hamilton, Don Taylor, W. Lawson, Mr F. Taylor, W. Hayward (a gun -don't think he quite made it at Coll..later went briefly to Preston.), L. Chisholm, P. Jolly, P. Harrison, Mr R. Dusting.

Centre: Mr M. Westwood, A. Taylor, K. Shea, G. Ziebell (VC), Mr R. Radcliffe (coach), H. Draper, N. Ayre, K. Westwood, Mr G. Ross
Front: K. Humphries, P. Cornell, I. McCrae (100 games with Fitzroy), I. Lambie, I. Lester, M. Pointon, K. Burns.

Incidently, I have a photo of a couple of the teams with Len Thompson. Dick Telford (Liston winner) was playing at the same time. Wouldn't be too many little junior sides that could boast a Brownlow AND Liston winner

(Log in to remove this ad.)

@font-face { font-family: "Times New Roman"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }table.MsoNormalTable { font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; } Graeme Atkinson has provided the following:

Both photos are from 1954, which was actually the first year of North Reser. (Great club - I played there 1958-62, my Dad was coach, President, Life Member).

Back: Mr R. Radcliffe (Sec), C. O'Gorman, R. Shickert, F. Smith (think he had a few games with Collingwood, won B&F in 3rds), Mr F. Taylor (owned the newsagents in Edwardes St), B. Duggan, Roy Ward (President of DVFL for years), R. Augustus, B, Burt, Mr G. Ross.

Centre: G.Taylor, L. Chisholm, R. White (VC) (pl with Preston...seem to recall won Comp B&F in 2nds. Played in Preston’s 1963 premiership?), Max Westwood (Pres), J.Lambie (capt - 65 games with Preston, B&F, leading GK), Paul Anderson (Treasurer..for about 30 years!! Also Treasurer of PDJFA for almost as long!), H. Draper, N. Cairns, P. Slaney (who was actually the U14 captain but apparently went up to the 16's as he's marked as 'absent' in the Under 14's photo)

The lower pic is C Grade Under 14 - (apparently it came in half way through the season when Keon Park Boys dropped out & North Reser took them over.)

Back: Mr Paul Anderson, A. Duncombe (played with Lakies for years), P. Hamilton, Don Taylor, W. Lawson, Mr F. Taylor, W. Hayward (a gun -don't think he quite made it at Coll..later went briefly to Preston.), L. Chisholm, P. Jolly, P. Harrison, Mr R. Dusting.

Centre: Mr M. Westwood, A. Taylor, K. Shea, G. Ziebell (VC), Mr R. Radcliffe (coach), H. Draper, N. Ayre, K. Westwood, Mr G. Ross
Front: K. Humphries, P. Cornell, I. McCrae (100 games with Fitzroy), I. Lambie, I. Lester, M. Pointon, K. Burns.

Incidently, I have a photo of a couple of the teams with Len Thompson. Dick Telford (Liston winner) was playing at the same time. Wouldn't be too many little junior sides that could boast a Brownlow AND Liston winner
If anyone had any association with East Reservoir Football Club I have set up a closed facebook page.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Great old photos from a great old competition. Have similar ones from my old pappy's days at Preston Wanderers.
Unfortunately many of the old PDJFA clubs like Nth Reservoir went the way of the dinosaurs - East Reservoir, Reservoir Old Boys, Regent Scouts, Preston Scouts, Preston Swimmers, Preston Wanderers, Olympic, Heid Colts, Kingsbury etc.
Bundoora, Banyule & Keon Park are a few still in existence who had their genesis in the PDJFA. I'm sure other B/F posters can add to the list.

I played my juniors in the PDJFA.
Lalor stars, Croxton, Opportunity, Preston RSL were a few more I remember.
Also East Brunswick who's players turned up for an under 14s game driving cars some with beards.... hmmmmm.....

You forgot that there was a junior team that played on a small field directly behind the Preston Baths which were named The Preston Police Boys Club coached by a man named Ron Jensen I think his name was. From memory I think he was a Police Detective around 1952. There was also a Catholic West Heidelberg team coached by a famed priest named Fr. Mogg whose star player was Peter McKenna.
Thanks Mobbenfuhrer for posting the pics. I found them in my late fathers papers just last week. If I find any more I'll make them available. I am sorry I can't assdociate any of thr faces with later fame. I was 8 in '54 & it was all about the games, bottle drives & pie nights to me.

Max Westwood is wearing the hat in both pics & his son Kevin played & is in the second pic, middle row rh end next to my father George Ross.

Len Thompson played maybe at the end of the 50s & later went to Collingwood.
Any Big Footy members who are members of Friends Reunited will find 19 old North Reser players going back to '59 at :

http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk/Si...uYW1lZQUEcGFnZQUBMMjGPFnSb9MwYUgZJQto3cnKujo3

I was captain of Nth Reservoir u/14s with Len Thompson as my Vice Captain under a wonderful man who coached us during that year, the late Mr Les Gould.

Preston region of Melbourne would be more of a DVFL, oops, NFL area than an EssDFL one, right? If anyone knows a more appropriate forum ( no wise cracks thanks :p ), feel free to let me know.

If so, I was contacted recently by a bloke who has some old photos of North Reservoir FC in the 1950s. He wanted to know who might be interested, and I'm sure some of you buggers might be up to spending a moment having a look. Maybe you or your Dad, or sneaky uncle, might appear in one of the snaps.

So here we are:
North Reservoir FC 1954
nthreserfc1954.jpg

nthreserfcmid1950s.jpg

Cheers
I have found about 10 B Grade Premiership Flags for the PDJFA - 1954 & 19591963 1967 1974 and others - they are in an old container we have told the guy we will buy them to save them he has to get them off the wall a bit of a task - They are $150 each - maybe someone from the old North Reservoir FC - might like to buy back from us same price - awesome to know some one may have photos to go with these large Premiership flags -

So here we are:
North Reservoir FC 1954
nthreserfc1954.jpg

nthreserfcmid1950s.jpg

Cheers
Hi there is a Facebook page for the P.D.J.F.A. - maybe the guy might upload the pictures on to the site - can someone make contact with him

I have found about 10 B Grade Premiership Flags for the PDJFA - 1954 & 19591963 1967 1974 and others - they are in an old container we have told the guy we will buy them to save them he has to get them off the wall a bit of a task - They are $150 each - maybe someone from the old North Reservoir FC - might like to buy back from us same price - awesome to know some one may have photos to go with these large Premiership flags -

There is a
You forgot that there was a junior team that played on a small field directly behind the Preston Baths which were named The Preston Police Boys Club coached by a man named Ron Jensen I think his name was. From memory I think he was a Police Detective around 1952. There was also a Catholic West Heidelberg team coached by a famed priest named Fr. Mogg whose star player was Peter McKenna.

I was captain of Nth Reservoir u/14s with Len Thompson as my Vice Captain under a wonderful man who coached us during that year, the late Mr Les Gould.

I have found about 10 B Grade Premiership Flags for the PDJFA - 1954 & 19591963 1967 1974 and others - they are in an old container we have told the guy we will buy them to save them he has to get them off the wall a bit of a task - They are $150 each - maybe someone from the old North Reservoir FC - might like to buy back from us same price - awesome to know some one may have photos to go with these large Premiership flags - and there is a Facebook page for the P.D.J.F.L -

I have found about 10 B Grade Premiership Flags for the PDJFA - Nth Reserrviors FC 1954 & 1959 1963 1967 1974 and others - they are in an old container we have told the guy we will buy them to save them he has to get them off the wall a bit of a task - They are $150 each - maybe someone from the old North Reservoir FC - might like to buy back from us same price - awesome to know some one may have photos to go with these large Premiership flags -

Would love to see the photos uploaded on the P.D.J.F.A facebook page - history of these lost clubs is so important -

Played Juniors for Newlands Coburg from 1988 til 1995 I think. I remember playing Thornbury Cougars, Holy Child, Kingsbury RSL, Croxton, Upfield. The old man played a few ressies games and I remember watching them against Fitzroy Stars. Good times.

Played Juniors for Newlands Coburg from 1988 til 1995 I think. I remember playing Thornbury Cougars, Holy Child, Kingsbury RSL, Croxton, Upfield. The old man played a few ressies games and I remember watching them against Fitzroy Stars. Good times.

My Cousin played for newlands coburg

Where abouts did upfield play home games?

My Cousin played for newlands coburg

Where abouts did upfield play home games?

Three of my cousins and my brother played at Newlands, what years they you play? I played in the u11s 1993 premiership with Leigh Montagna

Can't remember where Upfield played but to this day it will always be the place where the windiest and coldest game I've ever played was held. Parents had hot towels and buckets of warm water waiting for us at every break!

Can anyone point me in the right place to get photos /info for the Presten Wanderers.(1970s sides)
I believe Terry Wallace played there till his u16 days before moving to camberwell.
I am after team photos of his playing days with the Wanderers, my father-in law was involved with the club the same time Terry was playing would love to show him some old photos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back