Historical rape allegation against the Attorney-General Christian Porter

Remove this Banner Ad

Talking about spin. Reading the last dozen or so posts in this thread has left me dizzy. šŸ„“

Just a few things no one seems to have mentioned.

(1) The ABC approached Porter to see if he would consider mediation.

(2) The full settlement is confidential so we don't know if the ABC is paying Porter's legal costs but I suspect they are.

(3) It's no secret they are paying for the cost of mediation which is no surprise since it was their idea.

(4) The ABC have had to add a statement of regret on the original article and Milligan herself has expressed regret.

Maybe no-one mentioned these things because they aren't true?
Milligan says that Porter proposed a settlement first, and offers to back up that claim.

The ABC says IN BOLD FONT SO YOU CAN'T REALLY MISS IT the only costs the ABC are paying are the mediation costs.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the rape allegation Porter has played this badly.

He was unwise to sue in the first place because if the case had got to court it would just have ensured the issue stayed on the front page week after week (and a lot of the evidence given in court would have been likely to further harm his reputation).

Trying to sue the ABC just makes it look like he was trying to intimidate the press and fuels the perception he has something to hide.

Now that he has backed down and his lawyerā€™s are trying to argue that sections of the ABCs defence documents should be kept secret it just adds further to the perception that he has something to hide.

And the fact that heā€™s trying to spin this as a backdown by the ABC is just completely laughable - you sued them, not the other way around mate.

His own years of legal and political experience and the impressive list of high priced lawyers that he hired have served him very poorly.

It was a tactical move to (successfully) get the story out of the news.

Will be interesting to see what the ABC and other outlets run with once there are no court-imposed orders in play.
Is it certain that the Court will reach that point, i.e no court imposed orders on either side?

SA Coroner ready and armed now

& the Coroner is aware of the legal status of information presented:
"The matters in schedule 1, 2 and 3 of the defence remain allegations which will never be the subject of judicial determination given the settlement of the proceeding.

"Mr Porter's allegations that those schedules are a form of abuse of process will also never be the subject of judicial determination."

Last edited:
Whether or not he is guilty of what alleged will never be dealt with in court. However, it could be fatally damaging to his political aspirations. No way I can see an alleged rapist would be supported to become a PM and it may not be tenable for him to return to the A-G role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whether or not he is guilty of what alleged will never be dealt with in court. However, it could be fatally damaging to his political aspirations. No way I can see an alleged rapist would be supported to become a PM and it may not be tenable for him to return to the A-G role.

& that is why he took the defamation action .....

And we arrive at the crux of it all now

- Cost him the AG portfolio because of the issues involved with the minister responsible for law suing a public body in a private capacity
- Had to spend more money fighting to keep the ABC's defence out of the press
- If he doesn't sue, he doesn't incur legal fees for an anonymous donor to pay, leading to the loss of the ministry he was demoted to after losing the AG position
- Months and months of damaging coverage over the whole thing by protracting the news cycle with a court case

In return he got:
- No apology
- No money from the ABC
- No retraction of the story
- A single line addition to the text that they weren't implying he was guilty

He got nothing and it cost him his political career. But at least his lawyers got paid.

"Quit". Definitely not given the arse because he accepted 'anonymous' donations that for all we know came from the CCP. Or some pro-rape group like the taliban. Must be some ******* stand-up donors if it is preferable to quit rather than reveal who funded his legal defence of rape.

Best news I've heard in a while, what a great way to end the weekend!

"Quit". Definitely not given the arse because he accepted 'anonymous' donations that for all we know came from the CCP. Or some pro-rape group like the taliban. Best news I've heard in a while, what a great way to end the weekend!

There's some talk about him keeping the money? I'm not right across that yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back