Resource History of AFL Grand Final Artwork

Remove this Banner Ad

Can I ask, why haven’t the AFL toyed with the idea of painting the arcs in the colors of the teams? Broadcasting issues?
I presume it has something with the process of removing the pre-existing paint, would take way longer.

In regards to both teams this year having blue and red in their colours I'm tipping th Doggies get the blue arc as the shades match and Melbourne getting red to add to the somewhat low amount of red on their logo.

So Eddie doesn't like Collingwood's traditional strip (black stripes on white base?) Makes sense as to why it was changed when he was president then!
Eddie wanted Collingwood to look more like they did between 1908 to 1923. Collingwood wore a jumper with three white stripes on the front and back. The numbers on those jumpers where black numbers on a white background from 1911.

The graphics for 01 and 03 both show the logos on them. The ten logo was not present in 2002.

View attachment 1072838
Might had something to do with the contract to broadcast the final. As the contract was for Channel 10 to broadcast all finals during the Channel 9 and 10 broadcast period, it could have been Channel 9 broadcast but shown on Channel 10. Channel 9 may have received something, but didn't broadcast them because they were showing the NRL Finals.

There have been a few examples of ‘home’ teams wearing white shorts in GFs. For example Port Adelaide in 2004 and West Coast in 1994. And then North Melbourne 1999 and many times featuring Geelong for obvious reasons. I believe Adelaide was technically the home team for 1997 and 98 and wore white shorts but their opponents on both occasions finished above them on the ladder so i’m not sure it counts.

There have been a few examples of ‘home’ teams wearing white shorts in GFs. For example Port Adelaide in 2004 and West Coast in 1994. And then North Melbourne 1999 and many times featuring Geelong for obvious reasons. I believe Adelaide was technically the home team for 1997 and 98 and wore white shorts but their opponents on both occasions finished above them on the ladder so i’m not sure it counts.
Port in 2004 was just weird as Collingwood wore home shorts in 02/03 against the Brions

I didn't think Port was the home team in 2004.

I've found my DVD of the game so I'm going to watch the start to jog my memory of what the umpire says - I'm almost certain he says to Voss that he's the home team due to being the reigning premiers. I may be recollecting this wrong however.

I've found my DVD of the game so I'm going to watch the start to jog my memory of what the umpire says - I'm almost certain he says to Voss that he's the home team due to being the reigning premiers. I may be recollecting this wrong however.
They’re listed first in all official settings (such as the footy record, scoreboard etc.), finished top of the ladder, and won all of their finals. AFAIK there was never any rule about reigning premiers. They definitely seem like the nominated home team. Perhaps the umpire just got confused by the shorts in that moment?

FC5AFEAD-42C5-459F-BDB9-E0CD7D0E7444.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Righto this will get a few thinking…. The grand final jumper patch since 2004 has been the same. Which years and what teams had sublimated logos and which teams had heat pressed logos?

Port should have been the home team, since they were the minor premiers. The AFL is very arbitrary with uniforms, like in 07 Port wore their home shorts against Geelong, when The Cats outranked them as minor premiers, that year. Same in 1994, West Coast were minor premiers but wore their away shorts against Geelong.

Pies in 2010 I think had sublimated, and Hawks in 2012 did. Pretty sure all the rest were heat pressed??
Swans in 2012 was sublimated

Port should have been the home team, since they were the minor premiers. The AFL is very arbitrary with uniforms, like in 07 Port wore their home shorts against Geelong, when The Cats outranked them as minor premiers, that year. Same in 1994, West Coast were minor premiers but wore their away shorts against Geelong.
Cats offered to wear the white shorts so both teams could be in their home

Surely it was AFL directive
I'm pretty sure I've read here that it was going to be the Cats in blue shorts and Port in the clash, unless Geelong were happy to wear white shorts and allow both teams in the home.

Iirc this was sort of just before teams relaxed about white shorts and ironically started the 10 year run of the Cats in white 90%

Remove this Banner Ad

Back