Discussion History of Hashtags #ReturnSomething #BringBackSomething

With #ReturnSomething or #BringBackSomething always popping up, it made me think about what other clubs supporters would want to see returned, whether it be jumpers, logos, designs, names or maybe something removed.
Here's a table on the past and present hashtags and status' on them
Feel free to add your own, add corrections, add updates or anything else
Some might be trivial but i just wanted to see the possibilities!

TEAMHASHTAGSTATUSTIMELINKSNOTES/UPDATES
Adelaide
Brisbane#BringItBack
(The Classic Fitzroy Lion on the home jumper)
Success2013 - 2015 Started early 2013, A campaign started to bring back the classic Brisbane Lion jumper with the old lion, replacing the "Paddle Pop Lion".
The change was implemented for the 2015 AFL season
Carlton
Collingwood#ReturnTheSwoopingMagpiePartial Success2018 - ????
https://shop.collingwoodfc.com.au/collingwood-basic-hood-swooping-magpie-collection/
Started in 2018, a little campaign about returning the 2002-2003 away jumper featuring the swooping magpie design as a one off kit.
In May 2020, the club released merchandise featuring the swooping magpie (perhaps due to the fans input)
Essendon
Fremantle#ReturnTheAnchorPending2017 - Not a serious campaign (yet) for Fremantle to bring back the anchor design from their early days
Geelong
Gold Coast
GWS
Hawthorn
Melbourne#ReturnTheFlamingDemonCoincidental SuccessJune 5 2020 - June 25 2020 A short lived campaign to bring back the Melbourne 1996-97 pre-season jumper.
That very design has returned as a one-off sugar daddy jumper called the "Proud to Belong" guernsey
North Melbourne
Port Adelaide#BringBackTheBarsIn Progress2018 -https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/bringbackthebars-our-heritage-our-history-our-right.1209096/
Started in November 2018, a grassroots campaign for Port Adelaide Power to start wearing their old Magpies "Prison Bar" jumper as the main jumper.
To be worn Round 2, 2020 against Adelaide
Richmond
St Kilda
Sydney
West Coast#ReturnTheWingsSuccess2013 - 2016https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...ngs-returned-peril-returned-job-done.1022052/Started in late July 2013, a successful campaign in which the West Coast Eagles changed their long running Tri-panel home jumper for the classic wings
Season 2016 saw the change implemented

West Coast
#ReturnTheOchrePending???? -Not a serious campaign (yet) for the return of a cult classic
Western Bulldogs#FNWB
(Footscray Not Western Bulldogs)
In Progress2010 - A fan made website seeking the change of the club name Western Bulldogs to the original Footscray name

Last edited:
Collingwood#ReturnTheSwoopingMagpiePartial Success
Just wait until next year :) you will see

As far as I know, Nato and I were the ones that started it and it was kind of just a joking play on the Return the Wings campaign

I'm not sure if any of these were/are ever official campaigns (like #bringbackthebars or #returnthewings) but I do remember talk among the jumper community/the FJGD board about these changes:

Adelaide: bring back the hoops (after old templates turned them into stripes)
Carlton: bring back the classic monogram
North Melbourne: bring back the Bounding Roo
Richmond: bring back the true Yellow & Black/remove the Charcoal & Mustard
Sydney: bring back the South Melbourne 'V'/bring back the South Melbourne sash for matches in Melbourne

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
North and Collingwood to go back to traditional white jumpers?
Found a few threads about Norths jumper change and the backlash, nothing about Collingwoods (as far as I know). Maybe the North board will start a hashtag later on or they'll adapt

I'm not sure if any of these were/are ever official campaigns (like #bringbackthebars or #returnthewings) but I do remember talk among the jumper community/the FJGD board about these changes:

Adelaide: bring back the hoops (after old templates turned them into stripes)
Carlton: bring back the classic monogram
North Melbourne: bring back the Bounding Roo
Richmond: bring back the true Yellow & Black/remove the Charcoal & Mustard
Sydney: bring back the South Melbourne 'V'/bring back the South Melbourne sash for matches in Melbourne
Great, if any hashtags were thrown around and/or had an effect on the said change, I'll chuck them in

Apr 20, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks, Southampton FC
I want the demon head logo back. Either as a one off Guernsey or just sold by the club. Either the red away jumper of 2004 or the glorious preseason jumper of 1996 and '97. I'm probably one of the only ones but whatever. #ReturnTheFlamingDemon

Swans fans should start either #returntheRedV or #bringbacktheRedV

It was this close to happening this year to celebrate the Swans history, in Round 11 against Richmond at the G

Image-of-Bob-Skilton-2-.jpg

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
Redv I just think of the Dragons

It's probably why the Swans adopted the Opera House guernsey in 1987 to avoid a identity clash, random fact, St George at the time were also playing their home games at the SCG as Kogarah Oval wasn't up to scratch and then under renovation

It was this close to happening this year to celebrate the Swans history, in Round 11 against Richmond at the G

Image-of-Bob-Skilton-2-.jpg

One offs, like this or the sash are great, but the Swans need to bring it back for all* away games.

*The AFL will likely rule Geelong's home strip vs the Red V as a clash

*The AFL will likely rule Geelong's home strip vs the Red V as a clash

I know for me I'd be happy to see the Cats in a clash or alternate jumper against Sydney in the Red V (even at home), like the one we wore against North in 2014-2015, just to switch things up a little. It'd help spruik the sales of the jumper too, right now Cotton On do make a clash jumper but we never wear it

AFL Rd 15 - North Melbourne v Geelong : News Photo

As for the other away games, I certainly think the Swans should follow Brisbane's lead and adopt a Victorian jumper (ideally, the one modelled by Rampe, Skilton and Parker), or use said Victorian jumper for all away matches (as you said), as a tribute to the history of South Melbourne (as Brisbane have done to remember Fitzroy)

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
caaaaaaarrrrnnn, you’re telling me not even for a one-off?
If they fixed the back up I could deal with the Eagle on the front. But if it were to become a more regular thing I’d prefer something along the lines of the mockup you made with the wing instead of the entire swooping Eagle

TEAMHASHTAGSTATUSTIMELINKSNOTES/UPDATES
Melbourne#ReturnTheFlamingDemonCoincidental SuccessJune 5 2020 - June 25 2020 A short lived campaign to bring back the Melbourne 1996-97 pre-season jumper.
That very design has returned as a one-off sugar daddy jumper called the "Proud to Belong" guernsey
Couldn't say no to chucking this one in. Big ups Zoops

Back