2020. The year the competition became terminal. Ju
10k Posts
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Lakers, Rabbitohs
Question because of the score review in the Hawks Blues game.
If a ball goes through the goals and hits the back of the padding, why isn't this a goal? Surely the ball has crossed the line completely to get to that position, so it's a goal BEFORE it hits the back of the post?
What if the ball hits the ground behind the line and then hits the back of the post, is that still a behind?

Question because of the score review in the Hawks Blues game.
If a ball goes through the goals and hits the back of the padding, why isn't this a goal? Surely the ball has crossed the line completely to get to that position, so it's a goal BEFORE it hits the back of the post?
What if the ball hits the ground behind the line and then hits the back of the post, is that still a behind?
Because the goal line is in line with the back of the goal post padding, not with the goal posts.

So if the ball hits the back of the goal post, by default it was still in the field of play when it hit

Because the goal line is in line with the back of the goal post padding, not with the goal posts.

So if the ball hits the back of the goal post, by default it was still in the field of play when it hit
Ok thanks. Have to have a closer look because it doesn't look like that on the VGA-definition replays we get from the AFL.
I guess by that definition that any ball hits the front of the post, is still well inside the field of play but ruled out of play.

Ok thanks. Have to have a closer look because it doesn't look like that on the VGA-definition replays we get from the AFL.
I guess by that definition that any ball hits the front of the post, is still well inside the field of play but ruled out of play.
No problem.

It's one that a lot of people aren't aware of. It drives me nuts when commentators aren't aware of it, and make a big deal of the ball hitting the back of the post, which is essentially 99/100 times.

In general, ball is 'live' unless the entirety of the ball has crossed the entirety of the line. In the case of scoring, as soon as the ball hits the post/padding, regardless of front or back, then it's a behind scored (or out of bounds/on the full)

IMG_6037.JPG IMG_6036.JPG

What if it hits the umpires flag? According to the photos above the flag is behind the line and therefore if the ball grazed it should be considered a goal?

What if it hits the umpires flag? According to the photos above the flag is behind the line and therefore if the ball grazed it should be considered a goal?

Not sure on the rule, but what is the point of the flag waving these days anyway?

The flag is a part of the post so its a point
What if the flag is already behind the line? I understand they have made it so its impossible for the ball to hit the post and be a goal since it's on the line. The flag however looks like it is behind the line. If they agreed the flag is BEHIND the line and the ball touched it then it is still a point?

What if the flag is already behind the line? I understand they have made it so its impossible for the ball to hit the post and be a goal since it's on the line. The flag however looks like it is behind the line. If they agreed the flag is BEHIND the line and the ball touched it then it is still a point?

Yes it is, it’s to make things simpler, if the flag is on the post and it hits it, then it’s considered a point.

Yes it is, it’s to make things simpler, if the flag is on the post and it hits it, then it’s considered a point.

Well it doesn't make things easier, it makes things potentially more complex in the event that a ball clears the line and the padding and hits an errantly placed flag.

I'd love to see how something like that would play out in high stakes finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back