Winter Hobart Bidding for 2020 Olympics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this a joke?:confused:

http://www.hobart2020.org/

I'm finding it hard to recognise if this is serious or not.

Surely Hobart wouldn't have a chance in hell, not only for the fact of it's size, but also that the Government is throwing truck loads of cash at the World Cup bid around the same time.

Cmon Tasmanians, put me out of misery, this has to be a joke, doesn't it?

I would have looked forward to the David Boon Centre though
I've heard they are/were going to make it out of totally recycled materials.

Ok, so it's all the VB cans Boony has drunk, but they, there still being recycled.:D

They play it pretty straight, I can see why people could be fooled into thinking it was some lame attempt by a delusional community group.

The 'Regina Arena' is kind of a giveaway though. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's a great idea, personally. the Olympics has morphed into a bloated, nationalistic, corporate-driven 'event' rather than a sporting contest. It usually bankrupts the country that puts it on, and causes enormous disruption to the local population while on. Most of the spectators couldn't give a toss about the events they watch - but they're at 'The Olympics!'.

So have it in a small town like Hobart. Facilities - hmm - need an aths track, a few gyms, a few open spaces, one swimming pool. Great - use existing school halls or stadiums. Drop any sports where either
a) The olympics is not the pinnacle for that sport - goodbye soccer, tennis, road cycling, etc.
b) the sport cannot exist professionally without the olympics - so no more water polo, greco-roman wrestling, shooting, archery, synchronised swimming, rythmic gymnastics, white-watercanoeing - probably about 2/3rds of all events.

The benefits are:
1. Cost is cheap - use existing facilities, and don't build stadiums for one-off uses like a canoeing course or equestrian arena. If the local population could use such a venure in the future, they would have built one already.
2. Olympic tourists drop significantly - only sports fans would go (who goes to Hobart for tourism:p (my sister will kill me), and so the locals don't get pushed around, inconvenienced, and instructed about how to behave in their own city.

I'm dead serious (maybe not about Hobart, but about downsizing the olympics).

Does anyone remember the Melbourne bid for the 1996 Olympics? I've STILL got my sticker and badge.

Olympics3.jpg

Attachments

• Olympics3.jpg
    Olympics3.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 116
With the current circumstances maybe Hobart could sneak in later this year and steal the games from Japan. There's still time!

AUSSIE! AUSSIE! AUSSIE!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back