Hobart F.C at the cross roads

Remove this Banner Ad

Old Melbournians had some of their top players out but Hobart were missing Cassidy and few other senior players as well so were not at top strength. Also Hobart brought on a lot of youngsters in the second half of the last quarter which coincided with OM’s late run over the top. It was Hobart’s first practice match and with a lot of young players there was predictably a lot of nerves shown and a lot of their early turnovers resulted in OM’s goals, but they did show a bit as the game wore on and there were some really good signs.
Hobart have South Launceston this weekend so that will probably be a better gauge of how they will go this season. It will be tough to make the finals due to the structure of the competition having to play both Clarence and Glenorchy 3 times each, but they will surprise teams if underestimated and won’t fail to win a game as suggested by some.
P.s. Kingpin I think Wrighty is only in his early 30s he just started up at HFC at a young age.

I only watched 2q's of the the launny v NH match but it made the Tigers v OM's look like a reserves match. What other senior players did the tigers have out apart from Cas, Lemm seems to be a stand out but lacks a lot of support

I only watched 2q's of the the launny v NH match but it made the Tigers v OM's look like a reserves match. What other senior players did the tigers have out apart from Cas, Lemm seems to be a stand out but lacks a lot of support

North Hobart looked very very impressive.

North Hobart actually got beat ya goose so couldn't have looked that very very impressive!

Now now now North Hobart were 5 goals up when they decided to throw things around a little bit and intercahnge their A graders. These blokes are going to be your biggest danger. Brown has them fit and playing a good brand of footy

Now now now North Hobart were 5 goals up when they decided to throw things around a little bit and intercahnge their A graders. These blokes are going to be your biggest danger. Brown has them fit and playing a good brand of footy

don't worry about TBRR winged.this guy suffers from delusions of grandeur. this bloke reckons that the TSL revolves around clarence.
i reckon the roos will drop of a little bit this year but not to worry, they will go to plan b like last year, bring some old boke out of retirement & flick a young fella who still deserves a game.

don't worry about TBRR winged.this guy suffers from delusions of grandeur. this bloke reckons that the TSL revolves around clarence.
i reckon the roos will drop of a little bit this year but not to worry, they will go to plan b like last year, bring some old boke out of retirement & flick a young fella who still deserves a game.

Obviously worked, didn't it?

Where is Kingpin? And what the **** did duff man do to get a red

unreal :D
Yes this could be a very important Board meeting in relevance to the Tigers future.
Can’t believe Duff would get a red card :confused:

Hopefully Kingpin might be back to report on the behind the scene's going on at the T.C.A. after the Board Meeting tonight.

Don't sell the Tigers down the River

Anyone no the go tonight up at the TCA?? Heard on the grape vine big things happening tonight at board meeting!

I heard the same thing this morning, but nobody is saying anything!! I honestly dont know whats happening, could be something to do with playing games at the new ovals in kingston ??? Just throwing that idea out there!!!!!

tigers1.jpg

:spade: The Mercury: 6 April 2011 - Tigers stranded at TCA - Click here

It's a little unreasonable of the Hobart Football Club and in particular, president Phillip Baker to criticise the Council for not spending money on the TCA Ground when he's told the Council repeatedly over the past 18 months or so that Hobart has no intention of staying there!! :rolleyes:

Face facts, Phillip Baker is the ONLY individual in the Hobart Football Club who wants Hobart to either play games down there or move there.
He deliberately did this to try and split the club up again like he did last time with that Lions farce, only this time, people en masse came back at him and it's galvanised the club together a lot more.
There will be a mass walkout should the club play at Kingston.

I'm actually quite surprised he's still in office because there were rumblings at the practice match two weeks ago that he was about to be given the boot by the club.
In the end he was told to pull his head in and tow the line by the rest of his board up there so I heard, because they got sick and tired of him running around thinking he was Hobart Football Club's answer to Geoffrey Edelsten, running it like it was his own personal club where he thinks he has complete control and the final say on everything and showing complete disregard to his board.
That club will go nowhere while he's involved, people won't sign up as members and a lot of supporters will continue to boycott the club while he's there. Has the manners of a pig.

Look at the professionalism of Glenorchy, Clarence etc, then have a look at that shambles up there - STILL haven't been made aware of the proper finances of the club...

hobart a great club afl tas and that f_____wit wade trying to get ride a great club with a long history hope they do well sat:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to say I'm rather shocked at some of the quotes from Phil Baker that ended up in the media. Come out and claiming that the club has sub-standard facilities hardly seems designed to encourage people to turn up - quite the opposite in fact.
OK, he didn't get what he obviously sees as a potentially beneficial move, but to then publicly talk down what the club does have is a serious error. His job is to make the best of what the club has; and, yes, try to improve things. He should be talking up the game, a chance of getting a great atmosphere, etc, not what is in essence telling people they won't enjoy a Hobart home game. Few enough people go to the footy as it is, without the clubs themselves telling them to stay home.

Admittedly, the Mercury report seems to start out with a slant sagainst Hobart and the TCA ground and Baker's comments merely add to that, so there must be some doubt as to the context but it does still seem like a mistake.

tigers1.jpg

:spade: The Mercury: 6 April 2011 - Tigers stranded at TCA - Click here

It's a little unreasonable of the Hobart Football Club and in particular, president Phillip Baker to criticise the Council for not spending money on the TCA Ground when he's told the Council repeatedly over the past 18 months or so that Hobart has no intention of staying there!! :rolleyes:

Face facts, Phillip Baker is the ONLY individual in the Hobart Football Club who wants Hobart to either play games down there or move there.
He deliberately did this to try and split the club up again like he did last time with that Lions farce, only this time, people en masse came back at him and it's galvanised the club together a lot more.
There will be a mass walkout should the club play at Kingston.

I'm actually quite surprised he's still in office because there were rumblings at the practice match two weeks ago that he was about to be given the boot by the club.
In the end he was told to pull his head in and tow the line by the rest of his board up there so I heard, because they got sick and tired of him running around thinking he was Hobart Football Club's answer to Geoffrey Edelsten, running it like it was his own personal club where he thinks he has complete control and the final say on everything and showing complete disregard to his board.
That club will go nowhere while he's involved, people won't sign up as members and a lot of supporters will continue to boycott the club while he's there. Has the manners of a pig.

Look at the professionalism of Glenorchy, Clarence etc, then have a look at that shambles up there - STILL haven't been made aware of the proper finances of the club...

Nice post Kingpin although your last sentance probably didn;t come out as intended, the professionalism youn mention is present at Hobart within the coaching/playing group, its the board who lack it which has created a shambles. Mind you the club only got on the TCA this week, 1 week with goal posts before the season starts? how may other clubs have same problem?Good move by club to show solidarity, next move, remove the current president and replace him with a team player, then put pressure on the council.

Nice post Kingpin although your last sentance probably didn;t come out as intended, the professionalism youn mention is present at Hobart within the coaching/playing group, its the board who lack it which has created a shambles. Mind you the club only got on the TCA this week, 1 week with goal posts before the season starts? how may other clubs have same problem?Good move by club to show solidarity, next move, remove the current president and replace him with a team player, then put pressure on the council.

Is not the council pushing for Match standard lights at the TCA?
Maybe a better solution would be improve the training lights use the rest of the Money on improving the surface, playing and spectator facilities.
For both the Hobart Football Club and North Hobart Cricket Club?

When is the HFC President due for Election?

Is not the council pushing for Match standard lights at the TCA?
Maybe a better solution would be improve the training lights use the rest of the Money on improving the surface, playing and spectator facilities.
For both the Hobart Football Club and North Hobart Cricket Club?

When is the HFC President due for Election?

Simple solution....Hobart tojoin the SFL and be a feeder club to North Hobart. You then have a city based club who could compete against the Clarence's and my mob Glenorchy. Re-develop North Hobart and construct a top inner city sporting facility that houses both footy, cricket and other community events. It isn't rocket science! and get Daren Perry to preside over the club.....can't go wrong!! ?? ;)

Simple solution....Hobart tojoin the SFL and be a feeder club to North Hobart. You then have a city based club who could compete against the Clarence's and my mob Glenorchy. Re-develop North Hobart and construct a top inner city sporting facility that houses both footy, cricket and other community events. It isn't rocket science! and get Daren Perry to preside over the club.....can't go wrong!! ?? ;)

I do think the Hobart council are not likely to put more money into both the TCA & NHO. One maybe. If so it makes sense to either have both clubs at NHO or for HFC to go back to the SFL & bring the Kingston/Huon into the TSL. After all Kingborough has 35,000 people, the Huon another 15,000. Its a growing area as well.

DOSACHOKER said:
Nice post Kingpin although your last sentance probably didn;t come out as intended, the professionalism youn mention is present at Hobart within the coaching/playing group, its the board who lack it which has created a shambles.
The latter point. :)
Although, things are starting to look better. The club had a golf day recently which went well and the Day at the Races last Sunday got more than 200 attending so it's a positive sign.
A brand new naming rights sponsorship, the Optus Tigers.
I think once the cancer is cut out of the club and others are encouraged to join in and help the club out rather than being belittled, scoffed at, ignored and treated like rubbish, then the club will start to make its way forward.
Howard Littlejohn's comment there about Baker constantly talking down the club and its facilities as a point of almost trying to turn fans away from our games is absolutely correct.
It's been the very same thing since he's been President, almost as if he's deliberately trying to get rid of people out of the club at every opportunity, almost like he's deliberately trying to make sure our crowds remain small and our membership non-existent.
I'm glad someone else noticed it, because I've been saying this for many years.
Some of the things I've personally heard/seen over the years has left me looking like this :confused: (dumbfounded).

DOSACHOKER said:
Mind you the club only got on the TCA this week, 1 week with goal posts before the season starts? how may other clubs have same problem?Good move by club to show solidarity, next move, remove the current president and replace him with a team player, then put pressure on the council.
I'll do a bit of digging on the first point.
The second point, the President's term finishes at the end of the this season.
Maybe then he can go back to Kingborough where he came from in the first place..
As far as I know, the Council is indeed willing to spend money on developing the ground, but Hobart has to sit down, work out a business plan and present it to Council and work in conjunction with the NHCC and other interested parties up there.
A common misconception of the Council is that they have a giant sack full of money and that people turn up to Town Hall, make a request and expect it to all just happen. The Council is divided up into many different divisions, all with strict budgetry requirements.
It would be irresponsible, not to mention it would anger ratepayers greatly if the Council were to spend money on a stadium that the venue's major tenant had informed them that they were intending on pulling out of.
The Domain will end up as the City's sporting precinct, the changing demographic of the suburb of North Hobart over the past 20 years has virtually ensured that North Hobart Oval will never see the sort of redevelopment required to bring it up 2000's standard, sadly.
It is a political hot potato and there are too many non-locally born residents in the area that would block any moves to redevelop it.
North Hobart Oval in all likelihood will become housing in years to come IMHO.

NORKY said:
That would go down about as well as Hobart amalgamating with Kingborough or North Hobart having to amalgamate with Brighton.
Interesting letter in today's Letters to the Editor column in the Mercury from Col Smith in regard to Hobart moving to Kingston.
Needs to realise that the HFC is not interested in moving down there, only Phillip Baker and Scott Wade are.
This is the same Col Smith mind you that left Hobart in the late 1970's and pinched Hobart's logo, latin motto, club crest and even the club song and took it to Kingston with him.
As far as I'm concerned, he can stick his Kingborough up his backside.

I do think the Hobart council are not likely to put more money into both the TCA & NHO. One maybe. If so it makes sense to either have both clubs at NHO or for HFC to go back to the SFL & bring the Kingston/Huon into the TSL. After all Kingborough has 35,000 people, the Huon another 15,000. Its a growing area as well.

With that number of people in there area you think Kingston would dominate the SFL?
Really should be on par with Clarence and Glenorchy
Maybe Kingborough is not an AFL hotspot ATM?

It’s ridiculous to suggest that Hobart go back to the SFL? They are in the middle of a 5 year contact to play in the State League, yes they have been in the bottom 3 teams for the past 2 seasons but it’s not like they have been taking thrashing’s every week, in fact going on the pre-season form the club looks to be going ok. They have an asset base (where all the money is tied up in) that is the envy of every other club bar Glenorchy. As Kingpin has pointed out they have had 2 very successful pre-season fundraiser’s and have announced a naming right’s sponsor who has provided the biggest level of sponsorship for the club in over 20 years. Add this to the prospect of the HFC’s first 2 home games being against Glenorchy with Acker playing and a Good Friday clash against North Hobart then the club should be set up financially for the year by round 3. Isn’t the main considerations to be in the TSL is the fact that a club is at least competitive on the field, it has it’s finances in check, and it represents a significant population base (The city of Hobart which has 50,000 residents)?

The football club has one big problem and it isn’t the TCA (which as Kingpin again stated the HCC is putting some money in to improve the ground facilities) but the president who will hopefully be shown the door before he finishes his term at the end of the year.

Launceston have 3 teams representing that city, the capital city of the state needs to have a team representing it in the top football competition and that team is Hobart.

The Kingborough/Channel is already being represented in the TSL as it is part of Hobart’s zone, just like the Huon region is represented by North Hobart, the New Norfolk region is represented by Glenorchy and the Brighton region is represented by Clarence.

With that number of people in there area you think Kingston would dominate the SFL?
Really should be on par with Clarence and Glenorchy
Maybe Kingborough is not an AFL hotspot ATM?

They have only just got a new quality ground, without any real crowd facilities as yet. I'm sure when they get the facilities they want, then maybe do an AKER:D, then you may see them take off. They have natural opposition from other local clubs down the Huon, from the old Huon association. So if they were to join the TSL they should be able to represent a large & growing area, unless they stuff it up themselves of course.:eek:

[FONT=Arial said:
[/FONT]
That would go down about as well as Hobart amalgamating with Kingborough or North Hobart having to amalgamate with Brighton.
Interesting letter in today's Letters to the Editor column in the Mercury from Col Smith in regard to Hobart moving to Kingston.
Needs to realise that the HFC is not interested in moving down there, only Phillip Baker and Scott Wade are.
This is the same Col Smith mind you that left Hobart in the late 1970's and pinched Hobart's logo, latin motto, club crest and even the club song and took it to Kingston with him.
As far as I'm concerned, he can stick his Kingborough up his backside.
:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back