Hocking’s Mess

Remove this Banner Ad

Hocking expects to see further strategies employed by the player on the mark during this week’s one-match pre-season competition.

“The player can actually decide to move slightly to an angle to take part of that kicking lane away if he wants to. So, there’s about two or three seconds for that to happen before the umpire calls stand,’’ he said.

For example, a player about to stand on the mark on the wing-boundary area could move laterally towards the central corridor for three seconds before the umpire commanded him to stand still.

“Then he is pinged to that position,’’ Hocking said.

giphy.gif

So... a defender decides to run off the mark a couple of metres to block the corridor, can't move, and the player with the ball runs through the mark and his opponent has to watch him, and he won't get a play on call until he crosses the mark and on his way. Yeah, that tactic won't last long.

How long before a player strolls past his opponent and gives him a cheeky wink while he's rooted to the spot?

The mark has to be where the mark is. Not where a player can get to before the umpire shouts 'freeze'.

So... a defender decides to run off the mark a couple of metres to block the corridor, can't move, and the player with the ball runs through the mark and his opponent has to watch him, and he won't get a play on call until he crosses the mark and on his way. Yeah, that tactic won't last long.

How long before a player strolls past his opponent and gives him a cheeky wink while he's rooted to the spot?

The mark has to be where the mark is. Not where a player can get to before the umpire shouts 'freeze'.

Hocking is as stupid as his brother looks ...... the more he opens his mouth the worse it gets

Surely the coaches will simply instruct their players to not man the mark and instead just push back 5-10m, especially from defence all the way to outside goal scoring range.
Yep, not sure what the "protected area" is behind the mark, but 5 metres sounds right. Unless the guy is kicking for goal, you're better off giving up that five metres and allowing yourself freedom of movement.

It does feel like this new rule has the potential for some farcical situations this year.

I think half the reason the AFL brings in all these farcical new rules is that they know they will cause controversy and cause an uproar in the media and amongst supporters which keeps the AFL being talked about and in the news. Any publicity is good publicity as far as the AFL is concerned.

You’re missing the point by trying to directly link it to an AFL example. The point was that cricket saw something they didn’t like and made a drastic change to the rules to combat it.
You originally made the link between cricket and footy by stating that changing from an 8 ball to a 6 ball over was a radical change. I just continued using the example to argue a different point.

The umpires are the people I feel for the most. They are the ones that have to try and make sense and change the way they umpire on a weekly basis when the rules commitee comes in and goes we want to tweak this.

It is by far the hardest sport in the world to adjudicate no other sport comes close there is so much grey

Couldn’t agree more

50 metre penalties are aesthetically ugly and frustrating to everyone who isn’t a bias fan of the team receiving the benefit.

We should not be creating situations that bring more 50s into the game. They suck the life out of the contest.

I wouldn't be surprised if this results in less 50s all up

I think half the reason the AFL brings in all these farcical new rules is that they know they will cause controversy and cause an uproar in the media and amongst supporters which keeps the AFL being talked about and in the news. Any publicity is good publicity as far as the AFL is concerned.
And the other half is to stop people moaning about how the game has degenerated into an ugly spectacle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The umpires are the people I feel for the most. They are the ones that have to try and make sense and change the way they umpire on a weekly basis when the rules commitee comes in and goes we want to tweak this.

It is by far the hardest sport in the world to adjudicate no other sport comes close there is so much grey
And then during the course of the season a particular rule will become the focus of new umpiring intepretation confusing everyone even more

50 metre penalties are aesthetically ugly and frustrating to everyone who isn’t a bias fan of the team receiving the benefit.

We should not be creating situations that bring more 50s into the game. They suck the life out of the contest.
Totally agree. The punishment rarely fits the crime which in most cases marginal

They could put an umpire behind the kicker in line with the mark and when he moves off his line, signal play on. This would allow the player on the mark to see the play on call and react more quickly.

If AFL players have evolved and become so talented as we are led to believe why do the AFL see the requirement to assist them to do such basic things.

Simple hitting of targets be it short targets or longer targets on any angle we have now decided to give them assistance as apparently the man on the mark moving has been putting them off and make them miss targets.

These elite players were having trouble getting the ball outside their defensive 50 so the AFL have given them a hand and said you can run out 15-20m after a behind to help you.

I really understand in Auskick helping the kiddies out and trying to make it easier for them to move the ball around, but at the elite level it is just comical. The best of the best should have it as hard as possible , if you can’t hit a target with a man on the mark moving around to any angle then how on earth have you made it to AFL level footy. I find this all just simply laughable.

If AFL players have evolved and become so talented as we are led to believe why do the AFL see the requirement to assist them to do such basic things.

Simple hitting of targets be it short targets or longer targets on any angle we have now decided to give them assistance as apparently the man on the mark moving has been putting them off and make them miss targets.

These elite players were having trouble getting the ball outside their defensive 50 so the AFL have given them a hand and said you can run out 15-20m after a behind to help you.

I really understand in Auskick helping the kiddies out and trying to make it easier for them to move the ball around, but at the elite level it is just comical. The best of the best should have it as hard as possible , if you can’t hit a target with a man on the mark moving around to any angle then how on earth have you made it to AFL level footy. I find this all just simply laughable.

This is a nonsensical argument.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back