Hodge a natural leader-Leigh Matthews

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/97618/default.aspx

Hodge a natural leader

hodge-hero246a.jpg
Luke Hodge showed true on-field leadership against the Bulldogs
  • By Leigh Matthews 2:03 AM Wed 07 July, 2010

LEADERSHIP is not an easily measured quality. And when it comes to the captaincy of a football team, for outsiders, it is only the visible on-field actions from which we can make our judgments.

During my 20 years of coaching I had the real pleasure of working for the majority of the time with two great premiership captains - Tony Shaw at Collingwood and Michael Voss at the Brisbane Lions.

From close quarters I’ve seen the characteristics of these two truly great leaders.

These include terrific example-setting, strong character and personality, a keen understanding of team mechanics, an ability to organise, great resilience under pressure and emphatic bravery.

When I watch Hawthorn’s Luke Hodge play he reminds me of these two. And for me there can be no greater praise for a leader.

Hodgey is Becoming another Human Headline what a year he is having....:thumbsu:

When i was at the Doggies game last weekend, i yelled out I LOVE YOU HODGE!! when he did something fantastic, i think it was a good tackle.

People laughed at me.

I thought everyone loved Luke Hodge

I called for him to be moved into the midfield years ago. Finally got there and is killing em!
The arrival of Josh Gibson and in his absence Jesus Stratton was why Hodge has gone into the midfield. Combined with him actually completing a full pre-season where he worked his arse off to get slim is why he's in there. It's not because the coaching staff suddenly decided "Hmmmm that Hodgey bloke is a pretty decent player, maybe we'll give him a go in the centre square and see how he goes."

The arrival of Josh Gibson and in his absence Jesus Stratton was why Hodge has gone into the midfield. Combined with him actually completing a full pre-season where he worked his arse off to get slim is why he's in there. It's not because the coaching staff suddenly decided "Hmmmm that Hodgey bloke is a pretty decent player, maybe we'll give him a go in the centre square and see how he goes."

Lol! Gold NB:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back