Toast HOF (Anthony Stevens) and Legend (Malcolm Blight). Congrats to two North greats!

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely love Stevo. He and Schimma are the greatest examples of "giving it your all" that I've ever seen play. So proud to have Stevo's final game jumper signed and mounted on the wall at home alongside a pic of him being chaired off the ground with Leigh Mathews shaking his hand. Gun! His speech was eye water inducing too.

Blighty was my football hero as a kid

Same here desie. He was a rockstar, capable of anything. A master of his craft. s**t, I remember sitting at the fence in row A in front of the scoreboard watching him lineup a torp within a couple of metres of me at least 50M out on the boundary. He dobbed it of course but prior to kicking it I examined how he held the ball, how many steps he took, and how high he followed through, and I must've spent hundreds of hours copying it.

He's always been a legend to me and I'm so glad he's now recognised as such by the AFL.

One of my enduring memories of Stevo besides everything else was his last game at the Gabba.
Brisbane players to a man shaking his hand and you could see the genuine admiration for a champion footballer and a real gentleman. Stevo seemed to think it was undeserved. These blokes had just won 3 flags and gunning for a 4th. No doubt they would have fitted him into their side easily.

Last edited:
Stevens was as brave as they came.

Blight was the second best player I have seen in a North jumper. Period. Try to wrap your head around a bloke winning a Brownlow Medal as a ruck rover in an elite side, who then finishes his career at full forward, kicks 100 goals and wins a Coleman Medal.

Two great club champions.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Stevens was only known because of carey"

*essendon supporter at work. They truly are scum. My favourite player. Both he and alloson are the reason i follow north. Loved watching him play. Always had 10 on the back in juniors
Did you tell him Lloyd is only known because he the biggest diver in the history of the AFL and Hird is only known cause he single handily destroyed the *essendon football club?

One of my enduring memories of Stevo besides everything else was his last game at the Gabba.
Brisbane players to a man shaking his hand and you could see the genuine admiration for a champion footballer and a real gentleman. Stevo seemed to think it was undeserved. These blokes had just won 3 flags and gunning for a 4th. No doubt they would have fitted him into their side easily.

The pic capturing Leigh Mathews showing his respect for Stevo that I have in the frame alongside his signed final game jumper from that match Hojuman. You're absolutely right, every player went out of their way to show our great warrior the same respect.

oT5oe33vrit6fRheRwMBJa7p-L2xzYIHNNZ1DDcOwjHLqsRJvYozg51nPscqoJJwiIb2oD2m0xmddWoOVck1spsbUFYjB10X15yJT0qmN0BGzk5delN3taHATcpQ1tOfNF6gg-o398orbPGmT7KwYFb-MKk1q1bYkvpFt_sKOIYLDE42UKixsFrOwachZfXWWOSzbp_6TDSR4SjWQESfuTVZGbtqmXOzBepatEmdCS7ID8y60x78yz_Jvec=w340-h254-nc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back