Scandal Hogan spotted on the smokes at music festival while suspended

Remove this Banner Ad

Basketball is not as athletic as Aussie Rules you could be a fat blob and still slam dunk the ball.

Its his choice to ruin his body. If he gets lung cancer in the future.....

I wouldn't come close to saying that basketball isn't as athletic as football. Basketball is all about repeated explosive efforts, whereas football concerns physical contact and endurance, of which the latter happens to be greatly affected by regular smoking. The general genetic capability of NBA athletes is ridiculous - their speed, vertical leap, and strength is like nothing we've seen in the AFL. Theoretically, if someone like LeBron James had the ability and willingness to develop an aerobic capacity, then he would have made a mockery of our sport.

Your premise is correct, but with improper reasoning.

Or the do-gooder muppets who think that the occasional bum-suck on a f** is any worse for you than living near a main road in a big city,playing Football in China or spending all night in the corner of the Rave next to the DJ booth sucking in vapours from the smoke machine.
Those smoke machines really have an affect on me, my voice the next day is shot, which is quite the issue if you're a singer, so I avoid them like the plague.

I wouldn't come close to saying that basketball isn't as athletic as football. Basketball is all about repeated explosive efforts, whereas football concerns physical contact and endurance, of which the latter happens to be greatly affected by regular smoking. The general genetic capability of NBA athletes is ridiculous - their speed, vertical leap, and strength is like nothing we've seen in the AFL. Theoretically, if someone like LeBron James had the ability and willingness to develop an aerobic capacity, then he would have made a mockery of our sport.

Your premise is correct, but with improper reasoning.
I'd say they are both equally athletic, but focussing on different attributes. LeBron would not have made a mockery of our sport because he wouldn't be able to retain all of his attributes if he trained to develop an aerobic capacity. He would be leaner, less explosive - obviously he'd still make a hell of a ruck man, but he wouldn't be the same athlete, just with huge aerobic capacity. Not to mention that it would be pretty hard for him to get that aerobic capacity. There's a reason athletes such as him tend to be sprinters rather than middle/long distance athletes. It's also speculative that he would necessarily have sublime footskills just because of his handskills in basketball. Too many assumptions. Your post buys into the hyperbolic myth that African Americans are the ultimate athletic specimen when actually the world is made up of various sports that capitalise on various strengths.

Speaking for myself, I'm almost exactly smack in the middle between a LeBron James body type and a Patrick Dangerfield body type. I'm 6ft5 and I've played basketball and football to Suburban grade level. I can honestly say that I find what Patrick Dangerfield can do to be equally unfathomable as what LeBron can do. They are both sublime athletes in their chosen sport. I feel no reason why I'd elevate one above the other.

These guys have to run 14kms+ a game. Aerobic capacity in modern footy is king. As a blues member i look at the example of the player runner up to hogan in rising star, Patrick Cripps. Went home to WA in his off season and self funded a sprinting coach as he saw that as a deficiency in his game. Hogan gets rubbed out for a stupid off the ball incedent when his club desperately needs him to be on the park, their time is now. He then goes home to WA and gets on the darts. If I were a dees member, contributing to his massive wage, I'd be absolutely livid.

These guys have to run 14kms+ a game. Aerobic capacity in modern footy is king. As a blues member i look at the example of the player runner up to hogan in rising star, Patrick Cripps. Went home to WA in his off season and self funded a sprinting coach as he saw that as a deficiency in his game. Hogan gets rubbed out for a stupid off the ball incedent when his club desperately needs him to be on the park, their time is now. He then goes home to WA and gets on the darts. If I were a dees member, contributing to his massive wage, I'd be absolutely livid.
But you're not a Dee's member so why do you give a *

Some players surf regularly which is just stupid because they could get attacked by a shark but nobody says anything about that

The guy had a smoke. Big deal

I think its crap... I do get that is not the best look for the club but end of the day he was not doing anything illegal so just need to drop it.

Good on the Dee's I say. Had a dart who cares. Not making a big deal of him going back during a suspension might be the difference in keeping him in Melbourne next time he is thrown a big offer by a WA club. Let the bloke live. Dane Swan had an excellent career not hiring sprint coaches and attending festivals.

Who cares, two of the best three players in the comp are heavily rumoured to be into the same thing, besides the video doesn't show much. I was expecting huge pupils at least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt, but bit rough for him to be taped considering 20% of the AFL probably (definitely) do the same thing every weekend

Way more than 20% but they would all be doing it at the festivals during the off-season, not during the season and a bit more discreet about it. I have nothing wrong with players letting off some steam but seriously it isn't a good look a few rounds into the season ( if that footage is of course from a few weeks ago) off chops back at home!

Also annoys me how people whip their phones out to film players doing stuff.

Isnt his dad seriously ill? guys going through some stuff, give him a break for ****sake

posted this prior to the unfortunate passing away of his father..... It was clear as day it was some serious s**t yet the media jumped all over him....
****ing disgraceful. Hope you're alright Hoges.... thoughts are with you and your family.

My alarm bells rang with the smoking due to potential lung cancer down the line. Now you'd have to hope Melbourne have a good welfare officer of some sort....... his mental state may be questioned if those antics keep occurring.
His dad just died, he wouldn't be human if his mental state wasn't a touch fragile right now

You have the awareness and empathy of a frozen pea at times

Last edited:
While not specific to Hogan, because he is not the only player smoking, I do find the defending of elite athletes smoking strange. Paid big bucks to perform and they are jeopardizing that. Pendelbury actually copped flak from Matt Richardson and other sources for frowning on smoking. Pendles is probably the most consistent performer in the competition and it is little wonder why - his preparation matches his wage. Easy to see why Richo was such an up and down player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back