Hogan, Stringer, Bruce - didn't excel like many thought they would

Remove this Banner Ad

Pies n Punt

Team Captain
Jun 24, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Outstanding last season, good, but not great this. Or at least the expectations were raised but they all didn't deliver what many expected and that was to elevate even further. All 3 looked as though they would kick on and stamp their name as premier forwards in the comp. What do you make of their poorer showings and will they get back to what they were last year?

Chris Mayne for Freo had a big year in 2012 and 2013 and followed that up by scoring 13, 28 and 18 goals since. I'm not comparing him to these guys it is just interesting how you can drop off just like that.

Bruce booted 50 in 2015, 38 this year.
Stringer 56 in 2015, 37 in 2016 though played 3 games less
Hogan got 44 last, 41 this year and played a game more

The lads are still young and look as though they're going to rule the afl for the best part of a decade. Just what do you expect from these fellas in season 2017, and years to come thereafter.

Victims of their own successes in 2015. All 3 have still had decent years for their age, but at reduced output when compared to last year which brings the heat.

It's not uncommon for young players to have inconsistent seasons, in particular Stringer and Hogan who were both 21 when the season started.

You'd be brave to write any of them off this early into their careers (although Bruce is a couple of years older).

Welcome to reality for many young players/clubs.

Young players perform well for a year.
Declared stars and signalling the beginning of the next dynasty.
Plateau.

Delist the spuds :rolleyes:

Edit: OK that was a pointless post.

I'd expect them all to keep developing and improving over the next few years. All of them have the innate ability to be great players and every player has good and bad years. I don't think any of them had what you would call a bad year but the weight of expectation only gets bigger and bigger with the growth of social media.

Last edited:
I actually thought Bruce had another very good year. That St. Kilda forward line is incredibly dynamic with Riewoldt, Bruce, McCartin and Membrey all shifting around and playing different roles. Sure, he didn't score as much but I feel as though he was just as effective and an excellent compliment (ala; Tom Lynch at Adelaide) to the forward structure.

For Bruce I would say the extra attention, which was exacerbated by his good form last year and Riewoldt spending more time on the wing, undid him. That said for his second full year as a forward taking the no.1 key defender every week 38 is not a bad return. The flow on effect to Membrey and McCartin was very valuable as well. Ideally next season we'd see McCartin playing every game as part of a 3 pronged attack without a dominant focus.

Overall, unfortunate that he couldn't hit the scoreboard more but not entirely unexpected and not a huge worry going forward.

For Bruce I would say the extra attention, which was exacerbated by his good form last year and Riewoldt spending more time on the wing, undid him. That said for his second full year as a forward taking the no.1 key defender every week 38 is not a bad return. The flow on effect to Membrey and McCartin was very valuable as well. Ideally next season we'd see McCartin playing every game as part of a 3 pronged attack without a dominant focus.

Overall, unfortunate that he couldn't hit the scoreboard more but not entirely unexpected and not a huge worry going forward.
I haven't seen the numbers but could you argue for each of them that their sides have improved around them along with the spread of scorers which is exactly what a coach would be looking for?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

also lol at the thought bruce didn't "excel like many thought they would"
bloke was a key defender two years ago who exploded last year. did anyone seriously think he'd improve his output again in 2016? not that he was too bad or anything but was never going to back it up to the same level

also lol at the thought bruce didn't "excel like many thought they would"
bloke was a key defender two years ago who exploded last year. did anyone seriously think he'd improve his output again in 2016? not that he was too bad or anything but was never going to back it up to the same level
Good point. His move to attack was like lightning in a bottle that season.

I haven't seen the numbers but could you argue for each of them that their sides have improved around them along with the spread of scorers which is exactly what a coach would be looking for?
Agree with that. Melbourne did look over reliant on Hogan when I saw them this year though (although two games were against St Kilda where exploiting our lack of height down back is a reasonable tactic).

Stringer now plays less minutes forward and has had to deal with AC issues and a hip complaint.
His last 4 weeks before going back to the VFL were terrible, was going for marks with one arm.

Outstanding last season, good, but not great this. Or at least the expectations were raised but they all didn't deliver what many expected and that was to elevate even further. All 3 looked as though they would kick on and stamp their name as premier forwards in the comp. What do you make of their poorer showings and will they get back to what they were last year?

Chris Mayne for Freo had a big year in 2012 and 2013 and followed that up by scoring 13, 28 and 18 goals since. I'm not comparing him to these guys it is just interesting how you can drop off just like that.

Bruce booted 50 in 2015, 38 this year.
Stringer 56 in 2015, 37 in 2016 though played 3 games less
Hogan got 44 last, 41 this year and played a game more

The lads are still young and look as though they're going to rule the afl for the best part of a decade. Just what do you expect from these fellas in season 2017, and years to come thereafter.
Who is Bruce? Is it a nickname?

Opposition put more time into stopping them. For example, I doubt that Sicily will get as much a look in with his running and jumping game effectively nullifying him.

Those players probably got the 2nd or 3rd best defender last season, now they're getting the 1st or 2nd at worst case, big step up.

Agree with that. Melbourne did look over reliant on Hogan when I saw them this year though (although two games were against St Kilda where exploiting our lack of height down back is a reasonable tactic).

He didn't play in our win down at Geelong last year or our win against Hawthorn in round 20.

But yes, he's a presence that is hard to ignore and our ball movement into the forward 50 was the pits.

Tom Lynch is considered the best young key forward in the game.

When he was 21 in 2014, his 4th year, he averaged 15 disposals and kicked 46 gials.

At 21 and in his second season Hogan averaged 14.8 disposals and kicked 41 goals. He had more shots at goal than Lynch and took a heap more marks. Lynch's player rating was 75 and Hogan's 79.

Lynch's 2014 was lauded and Hogan's derided. For some reason Hogan is held to different standards to other players.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back