Hogan worth

Remove this Banner Ad

Hogan would only ask for 8 years if it was Freo. Good to know. But a big risk. So that will take it to end of 2026? He ll be 31 by the end of that year. Look, we’ve been looking for a star forward for a long time. This almost guarantees that we have one to build upon and loyal. With Tabs, Lobb. That’s a formidable line up. But perhaps maybe 4,5 years for that price?

And look how the Buddy contract has worked for the swans - 0 flags since he joined them, and they've lost high quality players like Mitchell (brownlow medallist) and Nankervis (premiership ruckman) because of the salary cap pressure. No thanks
But Buddy was older, he signed that end of 2013. He’s at the end of 5th year. He’s 31. So he has another 5 which he ll be 36. Huge risk.

Jesse is perfect age tbh. 23 now, will be 31 for that 8 year contract. About right.

Dont know if you can include injury (navilcular) and behavioural clauses in contracts? Tayl0r

Thinking same thing. I know there were moves by the AFLPA to work against such things and they pretty much got their way, but that was a while ago, not sure where its at at the moment. It's one thing the US has over us. In most of their codes, they can clause contracts in lots of ways plus do similar with trade agreements with conditional picks etc. E.g. We could do a trade with Melbourne that would only let them use the draft picks we give them if Hogan plays x amount of games. They have a lot more flexibility in that regard.

In terms of player contracts in the AFL, you can place some conditions on them including simple bonuses for playing x amount of games for example. Could do that I suppose, but to make a contract based heavily on such things and for that length of time could wreak havoc on controlling the salary cap. Doubt the AFL would allow it. Bulk of the deal would have to be guaranteed you'd think - but some 'available to play' clauses could be included for sure.

All that said, and with the limitations of our contract systems in the AFL, I'd not be signing Hogan for 8 years.

Last edited:
I don't think there are many contracts built on performance clauses anymore outside of draftees.

Players want guaranteed money.

Quote the contrary actually, it is becoming more and more relevant now.
The bonuses aren’t huge %’s like other major sports, but they are becoming more and more a thing.

Quote the contrary actually, it is becoming more and more relevant now.
The bonuses aren’t huge %’s like other major sports, but they are becoming more and more a thing.
I've seen a few of them with bonuses linked to outcomes like B&F placing, AA selection etc but the biggest link to games played outside of first contract draftees is extension clauses.

I haven't seen much of players getting paid per game.

Talk of Melbourne wanting picks 5. 23, 30 for hogan

Really hope only 5 and 30. Would really like to get that early 2nd and maybe sneak a WA kid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No player is worth an 8 year contract.
Even Franklin who is top 3 in his time in football, and his contract was COLA supported anyway.

Hogan isn’t close to a top 10 player in the league so why offer 8 years?

Also latest report from AFL is that Melbourne still wants 5, 23 and 30.

Freo are hardly doing the wrong thing by refusing both of these, particularly when he is a FA in a year anyway.

And look how the Buddy contract has worked for the swans - 0 flags since he joined them, and they've lost high quality players like Mitchell (brownlow medallist) and Nankervis (premiership ruckman) because of the salary cap pressure. No thanks
Hmm.

Personally don't think the Buddy deal has been that bad for them - they had a chance at two premierships, and blew it due to everyone other than Buddy.

By the same token, you could compare the Hogan deal to the Tom Boyd deal, which worked out reasonably well for the Dogs.

Or going further back, the Alastair Lynch to Brisbane deal. Got a 10 year contract on what was (at the time) a whopping salary. Sat out a year due to CFS and was widely derided as a dumb deal.

In 8 years, one million should be a lot lower % of the salary cap. Maybe more like 600-700k today. But with his history I wouldn't be taking the risk.

Offer him 4 years and then say after that he can get a pay rise if he shows he is worth it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo are hardly doing the wrong thing by refusing both of these, particularly when he is a FA in a year anyway.
Next year he's out of contract, but not a Free Agent.

We'd still have to trade for him, but as a non contracted player, we'd have more bargaining power.

Next year he's out of contract, but not a Free Agent.

We'd still have to trade for him, but as a non contracted player, we'd have more bargaining power.

5 and 23 (+/- 30) is already a massive bargain for him. If he plays out next year and the foot issue goes away I think if anything we could end up paying more.

5 and 23 (+/- 30) is already a massive bargain for him. If he plays out next year and the foot issue goes away I think if anything we could end up paying more.

Or/ the foot issue doesn’t go away and we pay less if anything for him.

Hogan is currently a medium risk, potentially high return player.
To get him is a gamble, will be interesting to see which way Fremantle go. Do we go bold, or play it safe?

Or/ the foot issue doesn’t go away and we pay less if anything for him.

Hogan is currently a medium risk, potentially high return player.
To get him is a gamble, will be interesting to see which way Fremantle go. Do we go bold, or play it safe?

Would still rather punt it on Hogan than dive into the draft raffle where the risk is much higher and the return is if anything lower (throwing in Vicco kids going home etc).

The draft is only 'safe' in people perceptions. Statistically it's anything but.

We would have more bargaining power next year but I think hes gettable this year by keeping pick 5
Also 8 years with a high front end loaded contract with performance kpis attached and a few clauses to protect Freo would be ok but I am severely worried about tunnel vision by Fremantle.
Hogan is a champ, dont get me wrong, but id be more inclined to steal the potential that Ben King has at pick 5 202/201 cm and 86kg. Moved from a top 3 pick because of his knee and is just as enticing as a ready made Hogan for me. If we can get Cerra, Brayshaw and the younger guys to create a culture that is worth staying for, we could potentially also draw his brother in 2 years if we do it right. 11 If we trade 11 and 23 for Lobb in return for 14 and 25 back (which is a draft pick upgrade and the equivalent of a second round pick to GWS in points) 5 for Ben King and trade 14,25 and 49 for Hogan then I would be satisfied. That is Hogans value for Melbourne to offload him to us (which is essentially what they need to do to trade for May).

We would have more bargaining power next year but I think hes gettable this year by keeping pick 5
Also 8 years with a high front end loaded contract with performance kpis attached and a few clauses to protect Freo would be ok but I am severely worried about tunnel vision by Fremantle.
Hogan is a champ, dont get me wrong, but id be more inclined to steal the potential that Ben King has at pick 5 202/201 cm and 86kg. Moved from a top 3 pick because of his knee and is just as enticing as a ready made Hogan for me. If we can get Cerra, Brayshaw and the younger guys to create a culture that is worth staying for, we could potentially also draw his brother in 2 years if we do it right. 11 If we trade 11 and 23 for Lobb in return for 14 and 25 back (which is a draft pick upgrade and the equivalent of a second round pick to GWS in points) 5 for Ben King and trade 14,25 and 49 for Hogan then I would be satisfied. That is Hogans value for Melbourne to offload him to us (which is essentially what they need to do to trade for May).

By the time King is a consistent forward, Fyfe, Walters, Hill, Hamling, Wilson are all 30 or pushing it. We really can't wait around.

Melbourne won't do it for anything less than 5 as that's what gets May done.

If the deal is essentially King (5) and some 2nd/3rd rounders for Hogan I just can't see why you'd ever favour the former. The Kings are such risky propositions for us in particular as there is every chance that both they might not make it (which is extraordinarily high based on the output of the talls picked early recently) AND that they may consider going home.

I'd be over the moon if all your paying 'extra' to skip all that uncertainty was a 2nd/3rd.

Spending big on Hogan has me incredibly nervous, even more so on a long term contract. Hopefully it's just from years of being a Dockers supporter and witnessing great things like Sylvia, Bennell etc. I hope he gets on the park consistently.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back