Hogan worth

Remove this Banner Ad

Talk of taking king instead of Hogan is silly. King will take years to develop if he even does. Best case scenario he ends up as good as Hogan but takes 5+ years to get there. By that time it's bye bye Fyfe, Walters, mundy et al. Medium case scenario he's like Hurley and is very good but not Hogan good. Worst case scenario he doesn't come on like Schache, butcher, Boyd, McCartin or has injuries like Patton. Hell even Lynch who went to Richmond isn't as good as Hogan.

Hogan will be peaking (no drug innuendo) at the same time as our core group of players.

Get him for 5 and run for the hills (all 3 of them).

8 years just means he's committed to us

Talk of taking king instead of Hogan is silly. King will take years to develop if he even does. Best case scenario he ends up as good as Hogan but takes 5+ years to get there. By that time it's bye bye Fyfe, Walters, mundy et al. Medium case scenario he's like Hurley and is very good but not Hogan good. Worst case scenario he doesn't come on like Schache, butcher, Boyd, McCartin or has injuries like Patton. Hell even Lynch who went to Richmond isn't as good as Hogan.

Hogan will be peaking (no drug innuendo) at the same time as our core group of players.

It’s ludicrous really. If we drafted King the player we would be all hoping he could develop into is hogan.
Yet some people are recommending we take the King route which comes with even more risk given he is a twin, a Victorian and his twin is going to be at another club.......

I have to agree with you. We need to do this while our top shelf players are at their prime ie Hills, Fyfe, Walters,Mundy can go two more I reckon. I can’t wait to see Hogan in purple;worth his weight.

Surely your not taking about Hogan?
Take a look at his career stats to date, he’s stayed on the park pretty well.
Harley Bennell averaged 16 games a year before coming to Freo.

Jesse Hogan currently averages 14 games a year since he has been eligible to play (I'm not counting the 2013 year he wasn't able to play AFL).

Surely your not taking about Hogan?
Take a look at his career stats to date, he’s stayed on the park pretty well.
71 games in 5 seasons? Back injuries in the past, cancer scare and now a navicular fracture. All before he's 24 years of age. That's concerning, and then you factor in that he wants an 8 year commitment and it completely scares me off. I'm happy to take the risk but that's too risky.

71 games in 5 seasons? Back injuries in the past, cancer scare and now a navicular fracture. All before he's 24 years of age. That's concerning, and then you factor in that he wants an 8 year commitment and it completely scares me off. I'm happy to take the risk but that's too risky.

He’s played 71 games in the past 4 years.
He missed 10 plus due to cancer (not technically an injury).

If he is playing 20 a year over the past 4 years if you exclude th cancer scare. It’s more then we are getting out of Fyfe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he is playing 20 a year over the past 4 years if you exclude th cancer scare. It’s more then we are getting out of Fyfe.
I think that is part of the risk. We will have over $2m of our 13m cap on two blokes who have a habit of not being out on the park for whatever reason.

We already have Fyfe though, we don't have Hogan yet which is what the problem is. Giving up valuable assets for someone who may or may not be right to go.

Unfortunately for us our high draft picks haven't corresponded with good key fwds being available. Last 2 years where we had high picks the key forwards weren't deemed good enough for top 10 picks I.e Brander went 13 last year and Todd Marshall mid teens the year before that. Go back 3 or more years and it's just disappointment central.

Schache in 2015 ( overtaken by Weidman and curnow)
McCartin and Moore in 2014
Boyd in 2013

We need a key forward and results show you aren't guaranteed in the draft. Draft Hogan and then focus on drafting mids going forwards.

Look to poach Coniglio, jack Martin or David Swallow going fwds too.

If we have an embarrassment of riches and Cox turns into a gun fwd surplus to needs sell him high and get in more mids.

Career percentage of games played:
Nathan Fyfe - 73.2%
Jesse Hogan - 62.8%

Left the replies too long. Basically Champ = 5/8th of a Champion. Should have used a colloquialism like Gun instead of Champ.

But I also never said specifically to get King instead of Hogan. Non verbatim I said if the deal is too high for Hogan I would scrap it and go after King. The potential is there that we can get both, if Brisbane up their offer for Neale now they are potentially losing Beams, without Melbourne crying foul as they said would accept 11,23 and 30 for Hogan but we are stuck on the 8 years $8mil and seeing if they will accept 14 25 and 30.

The asking price and looking at ways to make it work is why we shelved it. Risk factor for Hogan not making 8 years is real, so investment wise its unsound to sell the farm to feed a kid.

Why are people taking the bait on this so called "8 year deal"?

There is absolutely zero chance we sign him to an 8 year deal

This is Fremantle trade we are talking about. Will sign anyone for 10 years! But we will see. But 5 year is realistic and would get it over the line. 8 years is what contract management doesnt want to do with potential risks ie foot/indiscretions or disciplinary issues or the high potential to walk away which he has openly discussed previously.

Would people pay 5+23 if the contract is more reasonable?

What would trading 5 and 23 for Hogan get us? Until we know what the Lobb trade is worth in return picks which assumption would say we are chasing 11 +picks for Lobb +14. What does 14 look like in the draft for us? a 175cm Hill small forward/mid who will need at least 2 or 3 preseasons to develop enough muscle not to be smashed in every contest at worst to replace ballantyne at best to replace Walters (but we already have that in Switty??) ? :|

Remove this Banner Ad

Back