Toast Hold Your Heads High People - Add Gibbs, Kreuzer and actual Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Apart from everything else that people have mentioned, I'd like to see the second close WC goal that was tapped out by Warnock. I realise that camera angles can be deceptive, but the camera was on the wing, Warnock was on the goal line and it looks like the goal post is behind his hand (from the camera's perspective) when he hits the ball.

So, drawing a straight line from the wing, through the ball and Warnock's hand to the goal post, suggests that the touch was inside the field of play.

I'd love to see it from side on.

I was sitting in block 110 and was pretty much side on to those goals.... If they asked me, I would have said that 2nd goal was touched....

Can we stop blaming Davies for a free kick?

There were two quarters to be played after they paid that shitty free. It wasn't a decisive stuff up like Armfield's run down by Dennis-Lane last year. Judd's rushed kick that handed a goal to WC was just as bad. Davies's opponent was an AA forward in LeCras who was conspicuous in his absence for most of the game. Hard to bash a second year player after that sort of game, yet we only choose to focus on the negatives.

Who needs haters?

Reflection

Ripper game last night, can't do much about some of the shocking decisions we were good enough to win and didn't end of story.

Add in Gibbs / Kreuzer / Bower / Waite plus blokes like hopefully Lucas / Watson / and a few others, we are looking bloody good.

Really think next 2 years is our window and I honestly think we have the list to do it. If we can get a gun KPP great, if not I think we are fine, we don't need to take a risk and get a injury prone forward etc.

Bloody good year and the first time I have felt we are going in the right direction for a long time.

Add a full pre-season to Krezuer and really he could be a CHF most of the time with Warnock / Hampson holding the ruck. I really hope Hampson works his butt off this pre-season cause he has the body to be a key factor in our success.

Carn blue baggers 2012 will be a ripper!

No Excuses!!

We lost.

Re Sign Ratts. He has been fantastic!

If we improve from 2011 to 2012 like we did from 2010 to 2011 we WILL be a huge chance!!

Bring on next year.

While all the Weagles supporters feel they will have a few good years I doubt it. Last night it was all their old premiership stalwarts that kept them in the game - Cox, Kerr, Embley, Glass, LeCras - those guys will be gone in a year or two and the Weagles will be a mid-tier team again.

Judd did hardly anything and we nearly beat you lot with our kids AND we were without Kreuzer, Gibbs, Waite and Thornton - all classy and still relatively young. Then there was the biased umpiring and the feral crowd...

Enjoy the success while you can as it won't last long.

While all the Weagles supporters feel they will have a few good years I doubt it. Last night it was all their old premiership stalwarts that kept them in the game - Cox, Kerr, Embley, Glass, LeCras - those guys will be gone in a year or two and the Weagles will be a mid-tier team again.

Judd did hardly anything and we nearly beat you lot with our kids AND we were without Kreuzer, Gibbs, Waite and Thornton - all classy and still relatively young. Then there was the biased umpiring and the feral crowd...

Enjoy the success while you can as it won't last long.

Lecras isn't an old premiership stalwart and he had a shocker last night. Happy for Rosa to take Embley's spot with Gaff on the other wing, for every good thing embly did last night he did 2 bad things, terrible user of the ball. Cox still has a couple of years left in him, with Naita only getting more dominanant every year and Lycett developing nicely at Peel as replacement for coxy. We've got plenty of inside mids in swift/stevens/masten (much better playing inside mid than hff which he played last night) who will put there hand up to replace kerr. Shuey will also step more into a true midfielders role as he develops. Glass is the one that worries me, happy for emac to replace him, but not comfortable with brown at CHB, might need to try a trade/draft jordan lockyer.

Whether or not that will be enough to keep us near the top I can't say, but to write us off like that just shows how misinformed you are.

Some bloke rang up the radio station last night saying that Kruezer, Waite and Jamison never played a game together this year, is this true?
If we have a full team playing, together with some decent new recruits, next year's window will really be wide open.

Some bloke rang up the radio station last night saying that Kruezer, Waite and Jamison never played a game together this year, is this true?
If we have a full team playing, together with some decent new recruits, next year's window will really be wide open.
Yeah I think it's true. I don't know about you guys but I'm really feeling sick in my stomach about the loss and some of the games we threw away this year. Boy how I would've loved this game played here in Melbourne.

This is right. Out of 24 games, we never had Waite, Kreuzer or Jamison in the same team once.

We had 2 of those guys on 14 occasions, and only 1 of them on 10 occasions.

Waite played 12 games for 8 wins and 3 losses and was out of the game early twice (1 win, 1 loss in those games inc round 1 when both of the other two were not playing).

Jamison played 14 games for 8 wins 5 losses and a draw and was out of the game early in Round 14 (loss vs Eagles).

Kreuzer played 12 games for 7 wins and 5 losses and was injured early in round 24 (loss vs Saints when both of the other two were not playing).

I know that Collingwood can say that they had Brown out all year and the Hawks can say they had Gilham, Stratton and Roughead out for much of the season but I'm not sure their outs stack up in terms of quality, aside from Roughy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great effort by the boys against the odds.

Some costly errors - In hindsight, Davies' sling on Darling after the goal..

I save special mention for the umpiring.

Duigan gets his arms chopped - No free - Eagles goal

Walker molested in the final seconds - No free

Finally, special shout out to Tuohy!

I only just watched the game then ( recorded whilst on the night shift ) and after reading the rants about the umpiring ( my pet hate -> Bad Umpiring ) I watched the game with a keen and sober eye.

My impression was that indeed you blokes were hard done by with quite a few decisions and that probably the Walker one in the dying minutes was probably a free kick.

Aside from that there were missed free's aplenty after half time and it was obvious that the easy ones were no longer up for grabs and I think the players picked up on that fact.

Kerr was raped, Priddis had about 3 in the backs not paid and Butler was clearly pushed in the back and the whistle was not to be heard. I think the game was tough and hard with plenty of big hits and 3 points is probably a good indication of the gap between our 2 sides this year as ladder position would also indicate.

Well done on a good year and I think with our teams evenly matched there will be plenty of great games between our 2 sides in years to come.

Our boys did us proud last night and should be commended on a great season. Injuries killed us at the wrong time and like others have touched on throw Bryce , Matty and Waite into that team last night and i have no doubt we would of won but that's footy and we were stiff with 90% of the umpiring decisions as well and the non free kick for holding the ball against Shuey was mind boggling and cost us a goal at a crucial time in the game.

Now we have to get ready for an off season full of rumours again regarding the coaching of the team and trades etc!!

Looking back, this was closest we got near a grand final type team in last 15 years.
I still think the list around 2011 to 2012 was probably one class player short to be serious premiership contender but add Gibbs, Waite and Kruezer in this finals series and fair chance we make it a couple of steps closer. As we know 2012 ended up being a horror year of injuries and instead of list managed to add more talent we started losing depth, than adding to what we had. Dumb decisions were made by club leaders Swann and others with impatience in coaching change and it only got much worse in following few seasons when you look at players lost in bold below that were not replaced to maintain ground we made or got better.

Five years on think SOS and Bolton half way to undoing some of list resource damages done between 2012 and 2015.

Probably from 2011-12 era our best line-up would have been
J Russell Jamison Laidler
Duigan Henderson Carrazzo
Yarran Gibbs K Simpson
M Robinson O'Hailpin A Walker
Betts Waite Garlett
Kruezer Judd Murphy

Bench: Scotland, Armfield, McLean, Hampson
Em: R Houlihan, Warnock, Thornton

Think what we lacked was real depth and foremost a class key defender. Honest toilers Ellard and Joseph was never enough depth if a Gibbs or someone else of class missing a game. Thornton or Bower was also not enough depth against gun key forwards when Jamison missing.
We had enough small forwards, pace, decent mids and flankers but always one or two of Waite or Jamison regularly missing. Did well to get so close to making preliminary final with none of Waite, Gibbs or Kruezer over in that Perth final.

Before SOS took over the people in charge of list management let Waite, Betts, Garlett and Robinson all gone for nothing from forward half with Malthouse as coach, he robbed Walker from forward to back and also he saw the end of Laidler from backline.

Least Tom Bell, Henderson, Yarran, Troy Menzel and Touhy were not let go without something of value coming back our way. That is always the key with long term list management. Any time you let something go, you got to bring in resources in terms of players or draft picks that give you a chance of replacing that talent or adding more. That was my biggest annoyance in that Malthouse era seeing so many players that part of team we had built from nowhere near finals to in finals, be let go for nothing and back down to bottom rungs on ladder.

Ratts was unfairly sacrificed in 2012 after horror injuries that never had a settled team even when guys started to come back. Hopefully in retrospect people respect more what he did for our club in this time to at least make us competitive again.

Last edited:
Probably from 2011-12 era our best line-up would have been
J Russell Jamison Laidler
Duigan Henderson Carrazzo
Yarran Gibbs K Simpson
M Robinson O'Hailpin A Walker
Betts Waite Garlett
Kruezer Judd Murphy

Bench: Scotland, Armfield, McLean, Hampson
Em: R Houlihan, Warnock, Thornton
Not an awe-inspiring lineup looking back but it shows you can get somewhere with a few elites and some solid contributors. It was overall list depth that really did let us down.

It's such a shame Murph has never got back to the continuity and form of his early 20s. One of the best going in 2011.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back