News Holden Centre hosting fans to watch the WCE final (FREE Event - see pg 3) - what was it like?

Free event at Holden Centre? (Pay for food and drinks). Thoughts?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

To take a purely fan point of view, this is an event that the club should not seek to profit from.
It’s a break even event. An event to give back to the faithful

I see this a little differently. Collingwood is a not-for-profit organisation that is run for the benefit for its fans and members. Therefore in order to be sustainable (covering overheads, etc) IMO it should be aiming to run such events at a modest profit to ensure the club continues to be healthy. Many of us fans like to throw the ‘biggest club in the land’ thing out there, and assume that there is a financial clout that comes with that. But that financial clout can only exist if there is fiscal responsibility. When Ed came to Collingwood he found the place in a financial mess, so one of the things Ed instituted is a “Everybody pays” policy to fix it.

Naturally that doesn’t mean gouging the fans.

I can see the attraction of just charging $100. It makes the budgeting simple for the club. It makes the money collection simple for the club. And as we’ve seen from many of the responses that some folks see it as reasonable value, For some folks a $100 night out is a cheap night out.

However, I think what would be more equitable would be base it on typical footy entry pricing models - a fixed price entry plus user pays for food and drink. If there’s a desire for simplicity then make it cashless.

Plus the club should explore sponsorship options to help drive the prices down. Amongst our existing sponsors we have Subway, Coke, CUB, PFD, Cellarmasters who might be able to help out.

I'm happy enough at my local pub, but many would love to watch an interstate final among other supporters and a bit of atmosphere at the clubs (so called) home.

It's pretty piss poor that the club doesn't put on events like that. And pretty ordinary if they turn it into a money making exercise.

They sell us Memberships, but really we're just customers.

Update: the club (allegedly) don't have any clue about it.

The event IS legit, but it's not run by the club. The event is run by Authentic Autographs (dogs) through Event Brite.

The players, assumingly, getting paid on the night to rock up, do signings and photos. Even our players want to shaft its supporters. Goldack and a few players have ties with authentic autographs.

What a f**king club we are. If you're supporting the night to support the players financially you're part of the problem.

Sent from my CPH1715 using Tapatalk

Appreciate your updates with the info in this thread ...

... but I’d echo Baird ‘s comment that you might be over-reacting a tad. Let’s see how the dust settles on this?

(FWIW, I generally agree with your basic complaint, $100 doesn’t seem commensurate with what a footy fan typically pays to go to the footy; and it’s (rightly) embarrassing for the club that a third party is taking the initiative to host an interstate game at the Holden Centre)

I'm happy enough at my local pub, but many would love to watch an interstate final among other supporters and a bit of atmosphere at the clubs (so called) home.

As an interstate member this is a normal thing - for a club of Collingwood supporters to host games at a nominated pub. They can be good events with good atmosphere when they get a good turnout.

It's pretty piss poor that the club doesn't put on events like that.

Indeed. I’ve been rabbiting on about this topic for years. I know others have too.

And pretty ordinary if they turn it into a money making exercise.

They sell us Memberships, but really we're just customers.

It has to be a money making exercise. These things need to be paid for somehow. The club is a not-for-profit and the money it has left over each year (profit for re-investing into the club) is extremely modest. Any for-profit organisation that had our financial position (IIRC around $1million profit on around $80million turnover) would be considered to be performing very poorly, even in this age of low returns.

While on this thread. Anyone know a pub in Melbourne that would be a good place to watch the game preferably with a fair contingent of pies fans?

I've watched all our away games this year at the local RSL, food and drinks are good but the atmosphere doesn't quite cut it.

It has to be a money making exercise. These things need to be paid for somehow. The club is a not-for-profit and the money it has over each year (profit for re-investing into the club) is extremely modest. Any for-profit organisation that had our financial position (IIRC around $1million profit on around $80million turnover) would be considered to be performing very poorly, even in this age of low returns.

C'mon. The club makes a huge profit most years. Putting on an event like this for interstate finals would be a drop in the bucket, especially once you get the sponsors to throw in some product.

Free entry, food and drink at minimal mark-up ( like a bowls club might do), tell the remaining players to drop in for a few hours.

It would be a small gesture from the club to the supporters that supposedly are the reason for it's existence.

C'mon. The club makes a huge profit most years.

Huge profit??? IIRC they make less than 1% on turnover. If they were a profit-making enterprise they’d be shut down and the money put somewhere more profitable like earning bank interest.

Putting on an event like this for interstate finals would be a drop in the bucket, ...

How many drops are in that bucket though?

The club actually do host many free events, Members end-of-season info sessions are (rightly) free. Intra-club games are free. AFLW games are free. VFL games are free. VFLW games are free.

At some stage all these things need to be paid for.

... especially once you get the sponsors to throw in some product.

Or money? Yeah, agree, getting sponsorships for such events is the way to go - but there needs to be a decent turnout and the sponsor needs to have some level of confidence that they’re going to get a return on their sponsorship investment. (Eg: attendees buying Holden cars)

I think it's poor. It's dissapointing. Yes $100 isn't a fortune but it's the only option.
Let people attend and decide themselves if they want food and booze .
But you don't have that choice. It's $100 or stay away from your footy club.
Give us money or don't come.
It's sad how you can't rock up and have a beer with mates at your footy club.

It's sad how you can't rock up and have a beer with mates at your footy club.

These things cost money to put on. The electricity and heating needs to be paid for, staff need to be paid. Where does the money come from?

There seems to be some general sentiment that the club is awash with cash and rolling in rivers of gold. It’s not (The club’s financials are public if you want to check for yourself)

Gary Pert once spoke about how people were telling him that when he came to Collingwood in 2007 that his biggest challenge would be to find ways to spend all the money. When he looked into the books he quickly found that things were actually in a very very poor state (pubs fiasco) and the club wan’t very far from going under.

I’ver heard Ed lament on a few occasions about how difficult it is to put a competitive team on the park and service 80K members with the modest turnover they have (IIRC around $80 million)

Sure, you can go to your local RSL club and watch the footy for free and drink cheap beer and get a good feed for not very much ... but it’s subsidised by the pokies. Our club has (rightfully IMO) responded in a positive way by dispensing with its pokies so it doesn’t have that revenue stream.

Sure, you can go to your local pub and watch the footy for free but you’re paying for the lights and the staff by buying beers for $13 (I got charged that recently for a tinnie in one establishment) and overpriced parmas. It works as a business because that’s why people go to pubs. But what happens when people turn up to their footy club and plop themselves in front of the TV, open their thermos of tea, and have no intention of buying anything?

Saw this advertised, doesn't seem too much at Crown. Not sure if kids can go but since it is called a Pub, maybe they can.

Might be an option if can't get seats for the GF, not far to walk to the G to see Pendles holding the cup up.;)

View attachment 551310

I work for crown.. unfortunately kids can't go to the Pub.
Sounds pretty decent tho.

Saw this advertised, doesn't seem too much at Crown. Not sure if kids can go but since it is called a Pub, maybe they can.

Might be an option if can't get seats for the GF, not far to walk to the G to see Pendles holding the cup up.;)

View attachment 551310
50 bucks just to sit down, assuming there are 6 of you.
After that it’s pay pay pay.
Mind you, it does give you the choice to buy or not.
You could always smuggle in some twisties.

“In venue TAB” that’s always going to exclude kids.

I work for crown.. unfortunately kids can't go to the Pub.
Sounds pretty decent tho.
Are you sure? I haven't been to the movies there for a very long time but I do recall that there was a pub near there and we took the kids for a meal afterwards. Maybe I am thinking of the wrong place or things have changed a lot.

I read it that it includes drinks and a meat or nibbles as there was a menu on the site. But $50 to just sit there is a lot.

My couch is so much more comfortable with a big screen and all. Food and red wine wouldn't be too bad either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you sure? I haven't been to the movies there for a very long time but I do recall that there was a pub near there and we took the kids for a meal afterwards. Maybe I am thinking of the wrong place or things have changed a lot.

I read it that it includes drinks and a meat or nibbles as there was a menu on the site. But $50 to just sit there is a lot.

My couch is so much more comfortable with a big screen and all. Food and red wine wouldn't be too bad either.

Yeh the place your thinking of is now an American grill - kids can go.

The pub is a pub but on the gaming floor.
I also will just be having friends over for the game and watching at home.
I'm the absolute worst watcher on tv tho .I stress out and start pacing where as when I'm at the game I'm quite calm.

Edited for accuracy - the last time they attempted this the burgers were $50 (well, $50 entry including a burger)

The issue was raised at a recent end of season club forum, can’t remember which one it was (maybe end of 2017?). Ed responded that these things cost money to host - but acknowledged the $50 burger wasn’t the way to do it. He asked for a show of hands for how many people would be interested to come along to such events, and it was enough for him to take it as a follow-up item ... which appears to have not been followed up.

Toasted bun with the "forever" emblem.

But you don't have that choice. It's $100 or stay away from your footy club.
It's a fair point you make.
I, (maybe simplistically) would think free entry and pay as you go would be an option.
Alternatively, you pay $100 and eat/drink what you can in 4 hours.
Going forward I'd be happy if they added $1 to my membership and put on a couple of "free" members only events that included food and drinks.
$70,000 members.

It's a fair point you make.
I, (maybe simplistically) would think free entry and pay as you go would be an option.
Alternatively, you pay $100 and eat/drink what you can in 4 hours.
Going forward I'd be happy if they added $1 to my membership and put on a couple of "free" members only events that included food and drinks.
$70,000 members.

Yeah, I think adding a few dollars onto the membership of non-interstate members is worth considering ...

... and put on a member’s only event for all interstate games + interstate finals. Food and drink gets paid for.

LOL FMD - it's an event right in the centre of the premier event district run by a 3rd party.

I certainly wouldn't pay it but I've delivered enough to the precinct for various functions and events to know that the pricing is far from outrageous.

I certainly wouldn't pay it but I've delivered enough to the precinct for various functions and events to know that the pricing is far from outrageous.

You’re a male stripper? :D

Have to say I dont see this as a big issue. Clubs are massive now with the 70000+ member or whatever we have. Great if the club or another party puts something on for the few 100's that would turn up to such an event. However I feel this is really catering to a pretty small portion of the membership. Mostly those that live locally and prefer the club to their own home or a local pub.

This isnt like the 10,000's of supporters who will turn up for a match. Everyone has plenty of options re watching the game on a screen somewhere already. Not a big priority for mine. The club has bigger things to concentrate on.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I don't see this as a big issue but still can see some families, fans wanting to go to the club to watch say the grand final there. Kids can play on the oval, fans can watch the game with like minded fans and more importantly maybe the place can gain some soul as when I have been there it seems soulless.

I don't see this as a big issue but still can see some families, fans wanting to go to the club to watch say the grand final there. Kids can play on the oval, fans can watch the game with like minded fans and more importantly maybe the place can gain some soul as when I have been there it seems soulless.
Can't see it ever getting any soul sadly, it's just too damn corporate.

Everybody just go visit my parents, I'll send you the address. They have foxtel and are pies mad. Mum's cooking leaves a little to be desired but i'm sure they'll appreciate the company. There is a second fridge in the garage, but if you get desperate just do an ice run and fill the eskies. See you all there! Good time to arrive is about 90 minutes before the first bounce so you can discuss in depth which player is the most handsome at the club (Mums favourite topic).

Back