Holden has been put out of its misery

Remove this Banner Ad

Question and maybe one for Klyntonius

When and what was the last Australian 'fabricated' car? not assembled with imported engines and bits but actually built with locally made essentials like alternators, batteries etc. Even more important when was the last 304 manufactured in this country.

I know it's common for all car makers to make cars from parts far and wide nowadays but If I could liken it to how Chev or Opel is still it's own brand manufacturing the bulk of the car on their home deck, from the shell to the engine.

When and what was the last 'Holden' that was truly Australian? When that ceased that was the end of the brand for mine.

Question and maybe one for Klyntonius

When and what was the last Australian 'fabricated' car? not assembled with imported engines and bits but actually built with locally made essentials like alternators, batteries etc. Even more important when was the last 304 manufactured in this country.

I know it's common for all car makers to make cars from parts far and wide nowadays but If I could liken it to how Chev or Opel is still it's own brand manufacturing the bulk of the car on their home deck, from the shell to the engine.

When and what was the last 'Holden' that was truly Australian? When that ceased that was the end of the brand for mine.

The Falcon and Commodore's V8 engines were imported items but I think their 6 cylinder offerings were Australian made right up till the end.

The Falcon and Commodore's V8 engines were imported items but I think their 6 cylinder offerings were Australian made right up till the end.

Yeah I'm well aware of that, I guess it's down to ones perception. I guess I wouldn't view any Commodore (or any Holden) with a Chev motor as a 'true' Australian car, anything after the 5L or the 304 is not Australian for mine. Sure the VF is what most would consider an Australian car certainly not the Opel.

So considering the criteria I've put up here, would the VS 5L be the last of the true Australian Holdens?

Yeah I'm well aware of that, I guess it's down to ones perception. I guess I wouldn't view any Commodore (or any Holden) with a Chev motor as a 'true' Australian car, anything after the 5L or the 304 is not Australian for mine. Sure the VF is what most would consider an Australian car certainly not the Opel.

So considering the criteria I've put up here, would the VS 5L be the last of the true Australian Holdens?

Yeah, definitely down to perceptions. The VT also ran the 5lt initially but they, like the VS before it (and most if not all Commodores prior) were based on an Opel platform and adapted. The VE-VF were the only Commodore models designed from the ground up by Holden but ran imported V8s. I'd still consider the last Commodores Australian.

Yeah, definitely down to perceptions. The VT also ran the 5lt initially but they, like the VS before it (and most if not all Commodores prior) were based on an Opel platform and adapted. The VE-VF were the only Commodore models designed from the ground up by Holden but ran imported V8s. I'd still consider the last Commodores Australian.

To be fair pretty much every Commodore, hell even astra and cruze borrowed their base from the Opel platform. Even before the commodore the Torana began with 'copying' from Vaxhaull.

Forgot about the VT with the 5 ltr. so yeah for mine it was the VT, the VX SS ran the 5.7 lt for memory.

Kind of funny that GM announced it the week of the Adelaide 500. They have chopped the balls off the event.

Well not really, the balls have already been chopped.

When was the last time this event was on FTA? Why aren't the supercars on FTA anymore, and why did that coincide when Falcon exited stage left?

I'm not saying that GM (the parent) don't give a flying the 500, they don't but them announcing this at ANY time would have zero net effect for the event itself.

The Adelaide 500 has always been on FTA. About 7 or 8 of the smaller events are no longer shown live, but Adelaide, the GP, the Enduro's and the finale are all shown live on C10. At least that's the case in Canberra.

When was the last time this event was on FTA? Why aren't the supercars on FTA anymore, and why did that coincide when Falcon exited stage left?

Only every single year. Infact, they have more coverage this year than any other year, with Friday events being shown.

Only every single year. Infact, they have more coverage this year than any other year, with Friday events being shown.

Supercars live on FTA like they used to be? It's on today, why not race days tomorrow and Sunday?

Why did 10 chop raceday from FTA?

It's not like it used to be, I wonder why dropping from FTA? Was 10 not getting the ratings?

Supercars live on FTA like they used to be? It's on today, why not race days tomorrow and Sunday?

It's not like it used to be, I wonder why dropping from FTA? Was 10 not getting the ratings?
It’s on FTA for all 3 days, where are you located?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Adelaide 500 has always been on FTA. About 7 or 8 of the smaller events are no longer shown live, but Adelaide, the GP, the Enduro's and the finale are all shown live on C10. At least that's the case in Canberra.

It used be live every single round, why not now? I can only imagine the popularity has waned.

It used be live every single round, why not now? I can only imagine the popularity has waned.
$$$ in TV rights with Foxtel. 10 have no money, atleast when they do do it it’s a half decent effort like this weekend. I agree that it’s bad for the series that it isn’t all on FTA, but Foxtel’s coverage is fantastic, no cutting to news as soon at the race is done, Crompo goes around and talks with teams and drivers much like you see on the F1 coverage. They also show most of the support categories and show them live.

AlbertM has this as his tag on every post on V8 Central
”Ford fans be proud. History of Australian motor racing shows Ford has been and will always be superior. They have to slow them down when they get serious about racing. The Phase 4 scared the **** out of people, they banned it. Sierra gets called on a technicality, Falcon EF "...had its wings clipped to make Holden part of the show", AU not allowed to show it's potential, Falcon BF gets clipped. Mustang Is so good Supercars made up a rule and gets a bag of cement in the roof, and it still wins.
_Mford”

Explains perfectly why plenty of Ford fans gave Supercars the flick many years ago. I even dropped off from about 2014 until 2018.

Well not really, the balls have already been chopped.
People follow the series with some anticipation that there'll be a Ford/Holden rivalry to continue into the future, even if it's a loosely based. GM have smashed that to smithereens and there'll be nothing of the sort. They've got nothing to look forward to, and it should reflect in the atmosphere at Adelaide.

$$$ in TV rights with Foxtel. 10 have no money, atleast when they do do it it’s a half decent effort like this weekend. I agree that it’s bad for the series that it isn’t all on FTA, but Foxtel’s coverage is fantastic, no cutting to news as soon at the race is done, Crompo goes around and talks with teams and drivers much like you see on the F1 coverage. They also show most of the support categories and show them live.

Of course it's dollars, willing to bet if 10 were still getting the ratings they'd be showing it. Just like footy no ratings no TV. Foxtel are a subscription based telecaster and seeing how they're the only ones showing the 'non event' rounds (for want of a better term) they get whatever ratings for those rounds.

People follow the series with some anticipation that there'll be a Ford/Holden rivalry to continue into the future, even if it's a loosely based. GM have smashed that to smithereens and there'll be nothing of the sort. They've got nothing to look forward to, and it should reflect in the atmosphere at Adelaide.

Even if Holden Opel were there next year or 22 it's clear interest has been waning since Falcon left the building, then it worsened when the rebadge came in. At that point reality hit home and it was never going to sustain.

I actually emailed Supercars the year that it scaled down FTA.
The reply was that they considered the future to be pay per view. And by the growing live crowds and Foxtel ratings, they appear to be right.

Maybe so, how do you think the AFL would think about pay per view only?

Or is it just a case of the ratings dropping on FTA ever since Falcon left the building?

Regardless of what Supercars say, on face value it seems public interest has waned. Speculation maybe but a reasonable one.

One of the best Holdens I ever owned was a 6 cylinder VL with HRT bits bolted on.
Now where did that 6 come from? Because it was a beauty.

The Skyline 6?

Or is it just a case of the ratings dropping on FTA ever since Falcon left the building?

Regardless of what Supercars say, on face value it seems public interest has waned. Speculation maybe but a reasonable one.

The AFL media rights deal is pretty similar to Supercars really. Limited games shown on FTA whilst every game from every round is on the pay.
If it paid better, I've no doubt the AFL would absolutely go PPV only in a heartbeat.

FTA for AFL is seven, who can only broadcast 4 of the 9 games each week.
The AFL are already good looking to streaming instead of terrestrial or satellite for the next rights contract. That would be truly pay per view.

as for Supercars, they’ve had a bump since Falcon left the building and Mustang Sally placed her attractive arse into the competition.

Supercars live attendees are their problem, despite huge crowds for a couple of rounds last year, the numbers have been dropping.

The Skyline 6?

The AFL media rights deal is pretty similar to Supercars really. Limited games shown on FTA whilst every game from every round is on the pay.
If it paid better, I've no doubt the AFL would absolutely go PPV only in a heartbeat.

1/ RB30

2/ Yes it is, however that doesn't equate in the popularity stakes. The ATCC had monstrous popularity for decades, for mine it's not coincidence that once Falcon left the popularity dropped, I don't have numbers, but it's fair speculation that is the case.

FTA for AFL is seven, who can only broadcast 4 of the 9 games each week.
The AFL are already good looking to streaming instead of terrestrial or satellite for the next rights contract. That would be truly pay per view.

as for Supercars, they’ve had a bump since Falcon left the building and Mustang Sally placed her attractive arse into the competition.

Supercars live attendees are their problem, despite huge crowds for a couple of rounds last year, the numbers have been dropping.

Yes the numbers have been dropping correct, the question is why. My speculation is a fair one.

I seriously doubt the numbers on FTA or Fox will increase purely on the back of the layman spectator can't link to Holden v Falcon anymore. It's now Opel v Mustang, neither of which relate to the common fan - apart from the fact it's tin top v8. But it will never be the same as Holden v Falcon i:e aussie made cars.

Now that aussie made cars are gone there's nothing the family at no.10 Smith st. can relate to anymore.

This category will die as a result. Bookmark that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back