hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
The XU1 V8 was probably the tipping point, we're talking about a merely if even a one tonne car with a 200+ kw engine in it, in the early 1970's no less. Even these days that's a seriously scary proposition. Something from nearly 50 years ago I might add, only WRX's and Evos come to mind of similar power to weight ratios - if they even meet that. If I am correct both of those cars ARE heavier than an XU1. Yes even the Lancer

Remember the XY GT was 260 kw - standard- standard! Even that was not enough to scare the government of the time, although I'm sure there would've concerned conversations around it.

The phase 4 GT would've possibly been just as scary - possibly, Ford Australia's V8 development was almost world ground breaking at the time. As was Holden's.
My I30N has that kind of power, and it's scary to drive even with the mod cons. A V8 XU1 in 1970..... nah thanks I'd like my life.

The Phase IV would have been close to the fastest car in the world at the time, the power would've been too much for the regular driver to handle. Dad had a Phase II and that was fast enough.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
There was a time we only got Bathurst, back in the 70s and 80s when Bathurst was good.

In the 80s we got regular rounds , pretty impressive given the meagre resources tv stations had at the time.

Same with footy, be lucky to get one game a week . Even then pretty good for the lack of resources at the time.

Neither lacked public interest.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
In the 80s we got regular rounds , pretty impressive given the meagre resources tv stations had at the time.

Same with footy, be lucky to get one game a week . Even then pretty good for the lack of resources at the time.

Neither lacked public interest.

For something that was barely on tv, the world of sport in general, particularly motorsport have a lot to thank Bathurst coverage for when it comes to cameras. They were global pioneers.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
For something that was barely on tv, the world of sport in general, particularly motorsport have a lot to thank Bathurst coverage for when it comes to cameras. They were global pioneers.
Bathurst may have been the event, but it was ch7 that pushed the boundaries with broadcasting.
From the live 8 hour event, to the first camera in car, to a rotating camera in car, to talking to the driver. All 7 innovations.

Maylandsman

🐯EAT ‘EM ALIVE🐯
Oct 22, 2017
By the Seaside
AFL Club
Richmond
30 years time
You’ll be lucky to find petrol to run the car let alone be able to afford it.
People won’t spend loads of cash on museum pieces.
I own a v8 sprint. Ford’s last hoorah and only 750 produced. It will go to my boys and hopefully they can’t take it out with their kids. Doubt it though.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
You’ll be lucky to find petrol to run the car let alone be able to afford it.
People won’t spend loads of cash on museum pieces.
I own a v8 sprint. Ford’s last hoorah and only 750 produced. It will go to my boys and hopefully they can’t take it out with their kids. Doubt it though.

Of course they won't be viable as a transport option however they will be of some value to museums and exhibition places, collectors etc. There'll be a market for them.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Petrol would be going for a lot longer than that?

There's too many cars/users for that quick a transition. While there may be a push for electric cars, that I think is manufacturers trying to get in the market early.

Hybrid cars can go on for longer.

Our problem is going to be the fact that we no longer manufacture. There's quite a few European countries now putting end dates on the manufacture of ICE motor vehicles. Who knows what Asia will do. Vehicles not ideal for Australia's expanses may be forced on us and we may not have any choice.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Horse and cart, steam engines.
They are still curiosity pieces, trundled out for the occasional “show and shine.”
Pretty much the future of Aussie made Holdens, Fords, and Chrysler‘s.

The horse and cart and steam engines don't require a refined fuel.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
My I30N has that kind of power, and it's scary to drive even with the mod cons. A V8 XU1 in 1970..... nah thanks I'd like my life.

The Phase IV would have been close to the fastest car in the world at the time, the power would've been too much for the regular driver to handle. Dad had a Phase II and that was fast enough.

IF you used that power irresponsibly on the road or the track, things were bound to come undone. No different to any of the hot hatches.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
All has not gone:

gmsv/

Currently, HSV remanufactures to original factory standards Camaro muscle cars and Silverado pick-ups from left- to right-hand-drive at its facility in Melbourne. The Ram 1500 and 2500 pick-ups are also converted to right-hand-drive under the same roof by the Walkinshaw Automotive Group, HSV's parent company.

Under the proposed GMSV name, the brand could expand its portfolio to include other Chevrolet models such as the Tahoe and Suburban large SUVs, which share many of the same components required for the conversion of the Silverado pick-up.

Eventually, the GMSV line-up could also include niche models from Hummer and Cadillac, however these plans are far from confirmed and years away from being a possibility.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
IF you used that power irresponsibly on the road or the track, things were bound to come undone. No different to any of the hot hatches.
I wouldn't say irresponsibly, I've driven plenty of faster cars, but I haven't driven a front wheel drive car with that kind of power.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
What causes 'scary' in the I30N, fwd? My point on irresponsible related to pushing the car to its limits. Also had a few powerful cars.
Its the fwd, at least it was in the initial stages when I bought it. Corner entry speeds are a bit different to what I was used to, and power out is a lot more measured.

I'm comfortable pushing the car close to it's limits now, however I wouldn't do it on any roads around my place. Too narrow and very bumpy

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Its the fwd, at least it was in the initial stages when I bought it. Corner entry speeds are a bit different to what I was used to, and power out is a lot more measured.

I'm comfortable pushing the car close to it's limits now, however I wouldn't do it on any roads around my place. Too narrow and very bumpy

Sounds like my experience in my Cooper S in the late 60s, not sure I'm up to these days ;)

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
There’s a Holden dealership in Brissy that was forced by GM to spend well over $1m getting their car yard and showroom to meet Holden requirements. Then GM pulls the plug on Holden.

FCA03F08-9785-47AD-9D01-8828396E5AA8.gif

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
I have been told that GM are probably going to compensate him.
My wife’s uncle owns a Holden dealership in Northern NSW. He did own 2 until a few years ago when Holden reduced the number of dealerships across the country.

There’s a Holden dealership in Brissy that was forced by GM to spend well over $1m getting their car yard and showroom to meet Holden requirements. Then GM pulls the plug on Holden.

View attachment 834361

How bout the one in Adelaide that spent $3m and hasn't even opened yet...

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
The fact that the Holden brand name is dead is all in the hands of General Motors. Firstly they sold Opel, the company which made most of Holdens vehicles off to Renualt. So they had to find somewhere else to make the cars for Holden. We already knew that the Commodore and Astra were gone, and Holden were going to sell 4WD and SUV from now on. Now they say, we don't make enough money from RHD vehicles so we won't make them, and because of that Holden cease to exist. Opel was are greater influence on Holden, look at all the modern cars of Holden they have been remakes or rebadging of Opels.

What happened to Opel Australia dealers needs to be said as well. The dealers had gotten together to hear what they thought was going to be new vehicles for the up coming year. They were brought into a room and told that Opel in Australia was finished.

Sc6HOXS.jpg

I see that Opel Australia could have been relabeled Holden and sold their cars here, with development and design still done in Australia for the Opel cars. It would have been the modern car giant in Opel with the history of Holden behind it. It wasn't going to be like it was back when cars were made here, but we would still have Holdens coming onto the road. There would be little change in the line up which Holden had out here last year, there would still be the Commodore - Opel Insignia, the Astra, the new Holden Corsa - Opel Corsa, the new Holden Crossland - Opel Crossland, Electric Vehicles Ampera, Corsa and Crossland. Vehicles for the workmen could come from the return of the Combo and the arrival of Movano, Vivaro and Zafira. Better than no Holden at all and it would be like Vauxhall in England.

The cars were not substandard Korean cars for long, they did sell some Daewoos as Holdens, but these were not liked by the Australian public, so we didn't sell them here long.

Holden was a lame duck because their American masters are for making vehicles for America, and they aren't RHD vehicles. Ford has continued to sell vehicles in Australia because it sell vehicles in RHD vehicle markets else where in the world. Their vehicles came from the company which General Motors sold, Opel. Which should have been sold with the Holden name.

So, just to be clear, my post is about the death of Holden's manufacturing and not the brand overall, hence I also mention Ford and Toyota who are obviously still going.

In terms of Holden continuing as a rebadged Australian arm of Opel, I like the theory but at best they'd be able to continue as a small market player only. The Insignia is a nice enough car but it's segment is in long term regression. The Astra by all reports is a good car too (the previous model was a better looker though) but has proven to struggle for sales. The Corsa would have to come badged as a Barina and could possibly have moved in some okay numbers, like the last model Barina. SUVs have never been a strong suit for Holden and I don't see that the Crossland would change that, nor have Holden really been in the commercial game save for their utes. At best the vans would sell in the hundreds. There is just nothing that Opel have in their range that is outstanding to lure people away from the incumbents in significant numbers. And I think we overstate the value of name Holden in the community. The reality from sales is that there really were very few Holden fans, they were really Commodore fans. Similar is true of Ford fans vs Falcon specific fans.

Back