Universal Love Holding Faith in Stephen Wells and Mackie (a.k.a. "In Wells We Trust")

Remove this Banner Ad

Wells, Selwood and Mackie, and probably a dozen others work hard on assessing young players for months...yes years...while we burst forth as experts after the season finishes. I am invariably wrong in my selections (Tho I was big on Miers a couple of years back)....

But hey, if you dont take yourself too seriously it's a bundle of fun.

Why does his age have an impact on his ability to do his job?

Sorry but it seems that here in Aus we have such a fixation on age and that it seems we age people out of jobs for no real good reason, rather than acknowledge that their experience can actually be beneficial
It is RAMPANT in Oz and moreso in Melbournistan. If you're over 50 looking for work, good luck with that. We oldies need to start a movement.

But of course being older that might take some time to completion.

It is RAMPANT in Oz and moreso in Melbournistan. If you're over 50 looking for work, good luck with that. We oldies need to start a movement.

But of course being older that might take some time to completion.

Yet in some countries, its the exact opposite.....

Smedts showed genuine promise up forward in both 2012 and 2013. What's forgotten is that he was injured early in 2014 and stated publicly he thought he needed 3-4 weeks in the VFL before challenging for the seniors. Accordingly, he was put back in that week against Sydney, he was nowhere near ready and we got thumped by 100+ points. From that point on the club decided he was a defender (which he wasn't) and it was downhill from there. May not have made it anyway, but positionally the last few years didn't help at all.

Notably his second last game for us - the semi final against Sydney in 2017. Played rarely (and correctly) as a midfielder, he looked terrific. One game later gone.
I see a theme here, and on and on it goes ffs

I consulted for years successfully, then when life changed and I wanted a FT job, crickets. I'm OK now but I know MANY uber talented over 50's who just can't take a trick. It's a sign of the times. Maybe they should just bring on extinction before the next generation make sure of it.

Not sure if it's necessarily the best example after the team USA'S not so great showing at the basketball world cup, but look at Greg Popovich:

- will turn 71 in January
- basketball coaching career began in 1973
- appointed head coach of San Antonio Spurs in 1996
- in 2015 he was appointed as Team USA head coach in waiting, taking over after the 2016 Olympics

Rather than him being seeing as over it and past things, he's wealth of experience is something that's appreciated and seen as valuable

Can you imagine having a 70yr old head coach in the AFL? Just doesn't feel like it would happen now days

I consulted for years successfully, then when life changed and I wanted a FT job, crickets. I'm OK now but I know MANY uber talented over 50's who just can't take a trick. It's a sign of the times. Maybe they should just bring on extinction before the next generation make sure of it.

I had a job interview the other week - the owner of the job was observing from another room, but the ones conducting the interview were 20 & 21.

They introduced themselves including their age, and when it was my time to introduce myself it was like, "hi, I'm Michelle and I'm 35, so..."

Felt so weird

I had a job interview the other week - the owner of the job was observing from another room, but the ones conducting the interview were 20 & 21.

They introduced themselves including their age, and when it was my time to introduce myself it was like, "hi, I'm Michelle and I'm 35, so..."

Felt so weird

You should say you identify as a 19-year-old genius.

If they deny that you can then claim distress and sue them. :)

Felt so weird

Observing from another room? I would have passed on the interview then and there....that is weird!!

Observing from another room? I would have passed on the interview then and there....that is weird!!
It was to work as an escape room operator - it was easy to see that the room had cameras, but it was only later I found out he had been observing

So kinda creepy but I guess he's way of also finding out how prospective employees are like and how they interact with current staff versus just with the boss & trying to impress him

Felt so weird
You'd hope someone more senior was observing the interview and making the decision. Wouldn't think people in their early 20s would have the experience to be making calls on hiring decisions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if it's necessarily the best example after the team USA'S not so great showing at the basketball world cup, but look at Greg Popovich:

- will turn 71 in January
- basketball coaching career began in 1973
- appointed head coach of San Antonio Spurs in 1996
- in 2015 he was appointed as Team USA head coach in waiting, taking over after the 2016 Olympics

Rather than him being seeing as over it and past things, he's wealth of experience is something that's appreciated and seen as valuable

Can you imagine having a 70yr old head coach in the AFL? Just doesn't feel like it would happen now days
Basketball I do not believe has changed too much in the past 50 years maybe more....Make hoop..set up zone or 1 on 1 D...other team takes ball down shoots or misses..so on and so forth for two halves. Do they have qtrs? AFL/ozzie rules has had continuous changes for the last 30 years...1 umpire to two umpires to 3 umpires rule changes...taking a lot of contact out of game. A coach can become obsolete pretty dam quick. There is no doubt Matthews... Sheedy...Malthouse ...Pagan could have continued to coach to 70 but the game passed them by..it evolved. So no I do not think the basketball is a good analogy. In baseball there are a number of Managers in their 60's. There are also a few NFL Coaches over 60. Fagan the oldest at 55??

Wells, Selwood and Mackie, and probably a dozen others work hard on assessing young players for months...yes years...while we burst forth as experts after the season finishes. I am invariably wrong in my selections (Tho I was big on Miers a couple of years back)....

But hey, if you dont take yourself too seriously it's a bundle of fun.

We are like the Melb Cup horse experts ..whie the pros live and breathe horse flesh ... yet every year they fail and punters who pick for name or silk colours or what ever get it right.
Its like now we sort of know in 12 months time Walsh and Henry at the Falcons will be there abouts... how early or what number..I have no idea... but I bet they do..and bet the have a solid list 30 plus from that 2020 draft right now. They have to.. the dealing and trading with future picks..

My partner (brilliant and over 50 struggled for ages to get a job)
You'd hope someone more senior was observing the interview and making the decision. Wouldn't think people in their early 20s would have the experience to be making calls on hiring decisions.
But they are in many cases and that's the problem. Most have NFI of the job they are hiring for, or the value of battle scars and wisdom

Yeah.. he had a rough patch Rd 1 level for about 4 years.

No doubt.

Id say his 2017 and 2018 has gone well in all rounds really.

And this year could be good.

GO Catters
I think wells learnt his lesson about trying to be too clever using early picks for reaches. Looks like he has gone for known quantities the past few years. Save the reaches for later picks.

How many of these players are still on our list? At first glance it looks fairly grim.
Most are not, which strengthens my point, not just in hindsight, but moreso now. But really, it was just an exercise in the hypothetical. It's pretty much impossible to nail every pick, year in year out.

Kelly was always going home, and while I feel the hard stance these last two trade periods was down to feeling cheated. That is, that the club asked him all the right questions (as did Carlton and Gold Coast) and within 12 months he wants out (for good reason), you can't help but feel that despite this Wells and his team have done well out of it.

Pick 24 in 2017 turned in 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders for 2 third rounders.
Massive upgrade there.

Trading out Smith, who never really worked out as a signing for a minimal reduction in what we paid for him, and then to top it off using that late pick to get a 4 time best and fairest winner, who by luck is from nearby, is going home, and importantly for us has pace to burn. Smith for Steven is a massive win.

While never a real fan of Jenkins, pick 37 and half his wage paid by the Crows for the Suns 3rd next year (38-45 IMO) means we nearly got him for free.

Wells does all this, and yet at the same time as it stands now, has given us 8 picks in the first and second rounds of next two AFL drafts combined.
With a list that CE showed has 18 (4th most) in the 18-21 year old bracket we now have a real chance to rejuvenate the list with youth, and with a glut of picks can also target specific needs. All the while not massively damaging the short term prospects.

Hold the faith is right. Wells has still got it.

Kelly was always going home, and while I feel the hard stance these last two trade periods was down to feeling cheated. That is, that the club asked him all the right questions (as did Carlton and Gold Coast) and within 12 months he wants out (for good reason), you can't help but feel that despite this Wells and his team have done well out of it.

Pick 24 in 2017 turned in 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders for 2 third rounders.
Massive upgrade there.

Trading out Smith, who never really worked out as a signing for a minimal reduction in what we paid for him, and then to top it off using that late pick to get a 4 time best and fairest winner, who by luck is from nearby, is going home, and importantly for us has pace to burn. Smith for Steven is a massive win.

While never a real fan of Jenkins, pick 37 and half his wage paid by the Crows for the Suns 3rd next year (38-45 IMO) means we nearly got him for free.

Wells does all this, and yet at the same time as it stands now, has given us 8 picks in the first and second rounds of next two AFL drafts combined.
With a list that CE showed has 18 (4th most) in the 18-21 year old bracket we now have a real chance to rejuvenate the list with youth, and with a glut of picks can also target specific needs. All the while not massively damaging the short term prospects.

Hold the faith is right. Wells has still got it.
The Proof of the Pudding is always in the Eating. But what you say makes some sense.

The Proof of the Pudding is always in the Eating. But what you say makes some sense.
I think that it's more than that. If it doesn't work out all that we have lost is a pick that we wouldn't have used, and we couldn't have got a better prospect for that pick.

All i know is we got a better deal for TK than i expected and we got better deals for Smith Steven and Jenkins than i expected....i would rather have TK but thats all you can ask for in deals.

I thnk part ot the success of Wellsy here has been set up by the duration of his tenure and his previous actions.

By that I mean, he's created an environment of fair trading and concilatory actions that have set the bar with GFC being fair traders.

Now in the last 24 months, he has still be fair but when it come to the interests of the club, he's been more stout. And clubs have had to adjust their lines accordingly - See TK, Steven and Jenkins as examples.

I still think that he will be fair when players want to leave and it doesnt blow out the club, but WC walked into his more stout Buzz Saw last year and came back this year quite cleary with the deeper pockets they needed.

A job well done for fine - now to pick the eyes of the 3-4 picks we take this year.

Not to mention the extra accumulated for next year.

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back