FTA-TV Holey Moley: will it rate or will it tank? Now with poll :-)

Will it rate or tank?

• It will succeed well enough to see out its run and not come last in its slot

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • It will tank and be shafted in a month

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • It will be a huge success

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know much about Rob Riggle. He joined the Marines in 1990 and had a pilot's license

didnt know he was a marine. wow.

loved his work in the other guys, and hangover. Interestingly he played a member of law enforcement, which im sure he drew on his experiences in the marines

Why do these harmless TV shows that are amusing, entertaining and family friendly make people so mad?

A similar case was 'The Big Music Quiz' in 2016. Even more than four years later, I can't believe the vitriol that show copped.

It will rate well but I don't think it will last. 7 have flogged it so much so really, a lot is riding on it. My comments:
* The show is too long. As always, too much fill and build up. More 'stories' about the players.....yawn. Get on with it.
* The first round - who won, the golfers. Boring.
* Unless there is a hole in one, everyone takes a penalty for the silly challenge so it is a bit pointless.
* Sonia Kruger offers nothing. I know 7 have to get her to do something but seriously.....
* How does Ian Dickson continue to get airtime? Seriously.....Australian Idol is long gone.....
* The Uranus jokes got boring very quickly.
* Shirvington and the other guy are hit or miss but it seems like the show is more about them.

I won't be watching again unless there is nothing else on.

ill address each point

* yes too long. we wanna see the putts not the filler s**t
* who won? society haha.
* yes, especially the windmill one. cant see anyone going through that unscathed.
* agreed.
* agreed. even he joked about being irrelevant nowadays. in addition, joe dolce comes out and everyones faces are who the * is that? i think the USA version had kenny G. pointless. if they wanna distract the player, you have silence, then SUDDEN NOISE on their backswing
* yep. uranus. hahaha lol if you're a teenager.
* it was suppoosed to be BT and Riggle. imagine bt there. s**t. like any game/reality show its purported to be about the contestants, but soon you find its about the hosts/judges

Just under a million - beat MAFS and the Amazing Race. Numbers as expected, but it will be interesting if they can maintain it

Those three choices sum up why FTA TV is so s**t these days. Channels take the cheap way out, instead of producing quality drama, comedy, etc. Absolute rubbish!

Having watched the US version of Holey Moley, and last night's episode, I have a few thoughts...

Firstly, this is not a high-brow show. It never has been, and never will be. It's Wipeout with mini-golf. If that's not your thing, then this isn't the show for you.

Secondly, the Australian version is 50% longer than the US version, with no additional content. It has the same number of contestants & holes per episode. That means it's 50% of pure filler. If Ch7 tightened up the editing, removing all that extra filler, they'd have a much better show. As it is, it's so bloated that it's almost unwatchable (with the exception of Montana Strauss, who is extremely watchable).

Thirdly, the Australian contestants really suck at doing the physical challenges. In the US version, roughly 70% of the contestants are able to safely negotiate challenges like the BBQ rotisserie and rolling log. With the windmills, roughly 20% of all competitors make it through both windmills unscathed, with 90% making it through the 2nd windmill. None of the Australian contestants looked like making it. They have changed the design of the rotisserie, with the US version having straight hotdogs, while the Australian edition has a curved sausage, a prawn and a corn cob - I don't know whether or not this has made it harder. They may also have increased the speed, which would definitely make it harder for the Australians.

Fourthly, there was only 1 new hole last night - the final hole, putting up through the chicken coop. It's a decent addition to the course, but it's really not suitable for use as the final hole.

The US version finishes on the volcano hole, but with the balls emerging onto a much larger putting green - balls can either end up ~3-4m from the hole, ~10m from the hole (in the rough), or ~15m from the hole (with a small bump to negotiate before getting onto the green). It's not possible to get a hole-in-one, and it provides much greater tension as the players go head-to-head. This hole requires a good combination of luck & skill, whereas the final hole last night was determined entirely by luck (Montana getting a hole-in-one after getting the middle channel at the top of the ramp).

I didn't mind the Shirvington/Riggle pairing. Shirvington was a bit star struck initially, but seemed to warm to his task as the show progressed. His role is to play the straight man to Riggle's lunacy, and I thought he was better than I expected. Sonia Kruger added nothing to the show, but to be fair, the "around the holes reporter" is a nothing role. The US version has Jon Lovitz as the pirate, Australia has Ian Dickson, it's a role for a washed up actor, and I don't have any problems at all with this casting.

I like the US version, though it's probably not a show with a long shelf-life. The Australian version is just too bloated to be watchable. Yet again, it's a good international format ruined by an Australian network.

Maybe I've just got an immature sense of humor but Uranus jokes never fail to make me laugh.

It does elicit a chuckle, but Shervo literally spent a whole minute attempting to make Uranus based jokes

Grab the low hanging fruit and make your funny, but don't continuously beat the audience around the head with it

Last edited:
* yes too long. we wanna see the putts not the filler sh*t
Couldn't agree more. The Australian version is 50% longer than the US version (62 minutes vs 41 min, plus ads), with no extra content. It's bloated with unnecessary filler. It really needs tighter editing, to get rid of that filler, if they want to have a watchable product.
* yes, especially the windmill one. cant see anyone going through that unscathed.
In the US version, roughly 20-30% of contestants make it through the first windmill, and 90-95% make it through the 2nd (which is slower). The penalties, or lack thereof, are often the difference between winning & losing.

I'm not sure if the Australian producers have just ****ed up, making the challenges too hard (windmills, rotisseries & logs turning too fast), or whether last night's contestants just really sucked at doing the challenges. One show is a very small sample size - but my money is still on the producers ****ing up.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other issue Ch7 is created is that they're stripping this show 3 nights per week.

At 1x 60-min episode per week, they have a potential hit (and something I would happily watch). At 3x 90-min episodes per week, it's too much time commitment to watch a bloated & very mediocre show, and they will lose a lot of viewers (including me).

HM won the ratings last night, with 983,000 viewers. I would be surprised to see it score over 450,000 on Wednesday night.

I was surprised how seriously it took itself as a competition outside of Rob Riggle. The ads made it seem like a show where people get hit in the nuts every 5 seconds while putting or something, not an actual Australian Idol type show with backstory and 'integrity' to the comp.

Why do these harmless TV shows that are amusing, entertaining and family friendly make people so mad?

A similar case was 'The Big Music Quiz' in 2016. Even more than four years later, I can't believe the vitriol that show copped.

Yeah, don't think these shows really appeal to the BigFooty demographic, families with kids that won't get the humour but will enjoy the slapstick.

Considering the love trashy shows like 'I'm a Celeb/MAFS/Bachelor get around here, slightly OTT reaction. I haven't watched it yet but imagine Vader 's review is pretty close to the mark.

Seems like the perfect show to record and watch later while fast forwarding through the filler.

Get it down to 60 mins and it improves. Too much fill - which is typical of Oz shows because they don't have anything good to show after it. It is all about the one show in their line up, not two quality hour long shows. Vader's observations are spot on but 99% of the audience wouldn't see the US version to compare.

Don't mind the hosts and their humour but they are doing a lot of 'commenting' so to keep the jokes going is a challenge.

the rottisserie was interesting. they should be aiming for the corn cob not hte sausage.
I think the issue is that the Australian producers made the rotisserie items too fat for the contestants to wrap their arms & legs around. As a result, they were unable to get a decent grip, and fell off when the rotisserie went round. In an attempt to make the show more Australian (sausages, corn, prawns vs hotdogs), they have once again stuffed up and made it less watchable as a result.

Last edited:
Back