Holiday in England - where to see football?

Jun 5, 2004
AFL Club
West Coast
Hi all, apologies in advance if this thread isn't allowed. I don't frequent this section of the board.

I was just hoping for some advice in where to see a game of football in England (around the London area, ideally) in April. I'm heading there for a family holiday.

I do realise that it is expensive to acquire EPL tickets so I'm not looking for this. I'm looking for an affordable experience for the family (me, wife and two boys) to just experience a game of football in England. Are lower leagues a viable option?

Any other sporting experience suggestions would also be appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
Hi all, apologies in advance if this thread isn't allowed. I don't frequent this section of the board.

I was just hoping for some advice in where to see a game of football in England (around the London area, ideally) in April. I'm heading there for a family holiday.

I do realise that it is expensive to acquire EPL tickets so I'm not looking for this. I'm looking for an affordable experience for the family (me, wife and two boys) to just experience a game of football in England. Are lower leagues a viable option?

Fulham is great. Real family environment in a beautiful area of London. Decent view wherever you are and close to the action. About £15-20 for a ticket. Proper football ground.

New WHL is supposed to be amazing but will set you back £40+ each.

May 14, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus, Arsenal, OKC, Avalanche
Everton sell their tickets through Stubhub.

Arsenal tickets can be acquired for cup games quite easily and you can sign up for free to get a membership code.

You can go through Facebook groups where fans sell to other fans and vouch for each other. I got a few that way.

Minidisc MD

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I've paid 20-plus pounds for League Two games and that standard is worse than your local ding club.

Championship is a good standard and plenty of clubs charge the same as a Crystal Palace. point is don't assume it's 400 bucks for Premier League tickets and then VFL pricing for the rest.

Championship clubs are great fun. QPR is in a pretty s**t boring area with pretty awful pubs around it (unless you want to walk half an hour) but the ground is pretty classic. Charlton Athletic fans are angry *ers and good value. The Valley is interesting in its design and location. get the overground nearby and not the busses from the o2 – they're frustratingly unreliable. Griffin Park is rustic, unsafe, and you can stand at one end... and it's the only ground in England with a pub literally on each corner. the back two (away ends) are the best. they let anyone into them which is pretty rare. makes for a great vibe. Bees are up n about too. great club.

Craven Cottage isnt currently worth it. one whole stand on the wing is torn down. bunch of cranes don't make the view of the Thames as romantic as it could in your head.

I dunno, i'm a football ground geek and walking into a run-down old stand or squashed concourses never ever gets old. there's still grounds I really want to see and they're the ones with character who are going to be torn down soon. otherwise just go for clubs you have a sentimental spot for. there's lots of sides I like just because they were up in the Prem when i was a kid or they remind me of someone. just do that.

Just looked actually and it seems you aren't really into football. honestly it'll be pretty cold and unless you're a weirdo who thinks being freezing cold is fun, you'll get sick of it quickly.

For you, i'd probably recommend going down to Brighton. they're the only club with Socceroos regularly playing for them – and they're both in good form, Aaron Mooy especially. it's an hour on the train. the town itself is overrated though. dinky and forlorn and clinging onto a corny tourism/hipness in the centre and it gets a bit scabby pretty quickly. but that'd be the best bet. then just go to QPR/Palace and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

Minidisc MD

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Everton sell their tickets through Stubhub.

Arsenal tickets can be acquired for cup games quite easily and you can sign up for free to get a membership code.

You can go through Facebook groups where fans sell to other fans and vouch for each other. I got a few that way.
Gunners charge like 20 pounds for a red membership now for cup games afaik

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams

When in april are you going?

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Don't rule out non-league. Standard isn't the best but reasonable. Crowds aren't the biggest, but decent.

It's a lot of fun.

Know a bloke over here whos brother played for Southport. Went to a game years ago, was fun. What lower league do you recommend around north west area? You done Chester yet?

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Bojan KantKick In London April 6-10 and then 23-26. In between, going down south and then back up east through some towns before heading back to London for a night and then heading to France for a few days.
Looking at championship fixtures, Brentford vs Charlton in on the 10th. Brentford is in London.

Fulham vs Sheffield Wednesday at craven cottage on 25th or Charlton vs Wigan at valley parade on the same day.

These are your options on those dates you've given to watch a good standard at a reasonable price and those places / teams are family friendly. Don't go to a millwall game.

Good luck!

Know a bloke over here whos brother played for Southport. Went to a game years ago, was fun. What lower league do you recommend around north west area? You done Chester yet?
I go to Altrincham a fair bit. Have seen Chester play, but not there. Anywhere around the conference (5th/6th tiers) will be pretty decent standard and crowds.

Back