THE BOARD. PAFC DIRECTORS. Why? Just why? 😢

Remove this Banner Ad

What about appointing a South American Millennial to challenge pretty much everything then! Haha :p

Welcome to the club Holly!
Sofia Vergara types are most welcome. :p

I don't believe it is an educated opinion.

There was no substance to this post in any way shape of form. In fact what was the purpose of this post? it said nothing.

Claims of dealing with her are made who knows if this is true.

What is an over achiever for goodness sake? seriously how can you over achieve? sounds like a comment made by someone who has never achieved anything or has had minimal success themselves then goes on to claim that "over achievers" only fit into two categories neither of which have any substance or worthwhile qualities, what a bizarre and bitter comment to make.

Then we have a claim she big notes herself on social media by saying its an honour to meet so & so ? you have to be twisted to make that assumption based on this.

Finally he/she claims that they "had heard" she didn't really achieve much at Rotary, no evidence is presented to support this. he/she doesn't claim to know first hand so at best this is second or third hand at best this sounds more like a piece of professional jealousy than anything else. And the facts, should anyone take the time to check are a total contradiction of this empty claim

I would suggest that before coming on here with glib one liners to degenerate her achievements a thorough investigation of her background (not a Google search) is carried out (as KT and DK did) over many months.

Then and only then can you with any authority comment and present evidence to support your claims.

Otherwise bugger off

Thanks for everyone's reply. I do want to address this post, but otherwise I will see myself out as I don't want to cause a stir on your club board.

I once was a law student and have now worked in a law firm for a while. So I have met many people and job applicants who, like Holly, are very motivated and ambitious from a young age. They participate in many societies and clubs, are active politically, meet leaders (both Australian and abroad) as part of their travels, speak several languages and so on. That's what I meant by your typical "law over achiever". As I said, I was (or tried to be) one a while ago so I am not disbaraging people who want to make the best of themselves. I think what sets Holly apart from the average "over achiever" is her charisma or, as you could put it, high level of EQ.

My concern is, apart from Holly's charisma and ability to deal with people, what else does she bring to the table? She has jumped straight from being a university student to being a consultant, but without the work experience in between to justify the job title. Right now, she seems to be more of a life coach like Tony Robbins. So I am skeptical of how useful her skill-set will be for the Port Adelaide board. I do, however, take the point of other posters that there is plenty of upside for Port and little to lose. I also accept that Port has done a fantastic job over the past few years of re-inventing itself and that Koch knows what he is doing (I was also skeptical when he came on board and I was wrong about that one).

To deal with the rest of the points:
  • Dealings: As mentioned, Holly wears/has worn a number of hats (e.g. United Nations, G20 Summit, Rotary) and especially back in the day in Perth. So I dealt with her in a few of those capacities. I am not alone in this, and I am not trying to make out these were extensive or that we are best friends, but moreso that they formed the basis of my initial impression.
  • Rotary: Look a very senior person in Rotary made an allegation (not criminal, just distasteful) which I am not going to pass on. Happy for people to totally disregard it on that basis (as I probably would if another poster did so).
  • "Degenerating her achievements": Considering that we all participate on an online forum where we constantly pass judgment on 18-30 year old players (is Jack Watts 26 yet?), and given that Holly is now firmly in the public eye, I don't think my post was unreasonably negative. I am simply providing my opinion on an online forum.
Anyway wish Port all the best with this appointment and their upcoming season, that is, except against West Coast!

Thanks for everyone's reply. I do want to address this post, but otherwise I will see myself out as I don't want to cause a stir on your club board.

I once was a law student and have now worked in a law firm for a while. So I have met many people and job applicants who, like Holly, are very motivated and ambitious from a young age. They participate in many societies and clubs, are active politically, meet leaders (both Australian and abroad) as part of their travels, speak several languages and so on. That's what I meant by your typical "law over achiever". As I said, I was (or tried to be) one a while ago so I am not disbaraging people who want to make the best of themselves. I think what sets Holly apart from the average "over achiever" is her charisma or, as you could put it, high level of EQ.

My concern is, apart from Holly's charisma and ability to deal with people, what else does she bring to the table? She has jumped straight from being a university student to being a consultant, but without the work experience in between to justify the job title. Right now, she seems to be more of a life coach like Tony Robbins. So I am skeptical of how useful her skill-set will be for the Port Adelaide board. I do, however, take the point of other posters that there is plenty of upside for Port and little to lose. I also accept that Port has done a fantastic job over the past few years of re-inventing itself and that Koch knows what he is doing (I was also skeptical when he came on board and I was wrong about that one).

• Dealings: As mentioned, Holly wears/has worn a number of hats (e.g. United Nations, G20 Summit, Rotary) and especially back in the day in Perth. So I dealt with her in a few of those capacities. I am not alone in this, and I am not trying to make out these were extensive or that we are best friends, but moreso that they formed the basis of my initial impression.
  • Rotary: Look a very senior person in Rotary made an allegation (not criminal, just distasteful) which I am not going to pass on. Happy for people to totally disregard it on that basis (as I probably would if another poster did so).
  • "Degenerating her achievements": Considering that we all participate on an online forum where we constantly pass judgment on 18-30 year old players (is Jack Watts 26 yet?), and given that Holly is now firmly in the public eye, I don't think my post was unreasonably negative. I am simply providing my opinion on an online forum.
Anyway wish Port all the best with this appointment and their upcoming season, that is, except against West Coast!

Her q and a appearances back up your post

This is all fine but why come on here at all at this early stage. She is a brand new appointment and hasn't even had the opportunity to prove herself. I am not the type to go on another team's board and tell them they have basically recruited a spud, for example if a player were to leave us for you. If we went to your board to ask the question of you well that is different. There are people everywhere with an axe to grind. Doing us some kind of 'favour' by 'warning' us about how you see her failings stills feels sour to me and I don't get your agenda except to put mistrust in people's mind. Alluding to allegations also is extremely poor form. I am sure she is not perfect, who is? I would rather trust our leadership at Port and give people a chance as you have no idea what our club plans with her. Time will tell but Kochie and KT are not fools and would have done their homework. Finally, she is on our board, she has not been employed as CEO or Chairman. All the best to your team too.

I had to re read that 2 or 3 times before I got it. I am used to the phrase C-Suite, so when a read C-level I though who is the A-level at Rio Tinto if not Sam Walsh?? For the uninitiated C-Suite, C-level = CEO, CFO, COO, CIO, CTO, CMO, CSO, CPO, CDO etc etc
Problem nowadays is that nobody wants to be an Indian.

Holly goes national:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...s/news-story/5c2d2247a13b1100274ecc26e29b1242

Holly Ransom, 26, expands AFL’s digital frontiers
  • Darren Davidson dd001e1495d5d0d258114f4799f1cfd9.jpg
  • The Australian
  • April 4, 2016 12:00AM
....The AFL last year confirmed its status as the hottest commodity in sports broadcasting, signing a $2.508 billion TV rights deal.

But the boom in sports rights comes amid fundamental shifts in media consumption habits among millennials. With YouTube to watch, Instagram pictures to upload, Facebook to surf, Snapchat and WhatsApp to explore, a generation of young Australians that used to turn to traditional media is finding its fix elsewhere.

This is a “big opportunity” for Port, according to Ransom. “The younger population has an insatiable appetite for content. That’s what I’m really excited about getting involved in.”

Koch agrees: “You’ve got to be dynamic in a competitive market place like sport, and millennials think on a different plane,” he said. You’ve got to think like a disrupter; digital is the new frontier for AFL clubs.”

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...s/news-story/5c2d2247a13b1100274ecc26e29b1242

Last edited:

So you have basically said what you said in your first post, still with no substantiation (particularly the rotary club allegation).

You may well be correct, but we are hardly giving her control of the club, she will likely be a consultant on the younger female demographic, something she is obviously qualified for. She is joining a board, not chairing one.

Holly goes national:

....The AFL last year confirmed its status as the hottest commodity in sports broadcasting, signing a $2.508 billion TV rights deal.

But the boom in sports rights comes amid fundamental shifts in media consumption habits among millennials. With YouTube to watch, Instagram pictures to upload, Facebook to surf, Snapchat and WhatsApp to explore, a generation of young Australians that used to turn to traditional media is finding its fix elsewhere.

This is a “big opportunity” for Port, according to Ransom. “The younger population has an insatiable appetite for content. That’s what I’m really excited about getting involved in.”

Koch agrees: “You’ve got to be dynamic in a competitive market place like sport, and millennials think on a different plane,” he said. You’ve got to think like a disrupter; digital is the new frontier for AFL clubs.”

Now it's starting to make perfect sense. FiveAA employ all those Crows Ambassadors, to suit the Crows demographic, 'slow radio.' Port are thinking on a different plane. Oh yeah!!!!!!

Holly goes national:

All stuff we already do. Why do people like Koch talk about digital like it's some sort of hard to understand and address medium. We already do address it, it's really quite easily done these days and I don't understand what Holly is going to bring to this. This just reads as a PR sound bite throwing around jargon words but there's no depth to what she's actually going to be doing.

The absolute negativity on BF lately is getting me down. Ok, we shall whinge, whinge dissect and whinge some more about our on field performance (which has been truly overdone to death by now) but for goodness sakes give the other things the club is trying to implement off field some cheers or even a fighting chance, to see what will come from them. They are way too many negative Noras and Pessimistic Petes lately. It's easy to be negative, and constant knock and find fault, but how about put some effort in to 'try' and see the potential. It's like a massive jigsaw our club are working on off field, all the pieces slowly fitting together.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The absolute negativity on BF lately is getting me down. Ok, we shall whinge, whinge dissect and whinge some more about our on field performance (which has been truly overdone to death by now) but for goodness sakes give the other things the club is trying to implement off field some cheers or even a fighting chance, to see what will come from them. They are way too many negative Noras and Pessimistic Petes lately. It's easy to be negative, and constant knock and find fault, but how about put some effort in to 'try' and see the potential. It's like a massive jigsaw our club are working on off field, all the pieces slowly fitting together.

I think Holly just makes some people feel inadequate...

All stuff we already do. Why do people like Koch talk about digital like it's some sort of hard to understand and address medium. We already do address it, it's really quite easily done these days and I don't understand what Holly is going to bring to this. This just reads as a PR sound bite throwing around jargon words but there's no depth to what she's actually going to be doing.
It doesn't stand still and having somebody who is a part of the generation using it is a good thing.

Social media changes very quickly, in the last few years Teenagers have stopped using or even signing up for Facebook or Twitter in the first place
It's now seen as "your lame parent's social network".

Most these days use Instagram/Snapchat to follow things they like.
I think having someone whose role is to keep up with these changes and reach teenagers is a good idea.

It doesn't stand still and having somebody who is a part of the generation using it is a good thing.

That's my point, everyone uses it this day, it's not a generational thing its part of life. You have someone on the board who has no expertise in this area anyway and you are somehow expecting some?

Social media changes very quickly, in the last few years Teenagers have stopped using or even signing up for Facebook or Twitter in the first place
It's now seen as "your lame parent's social network".

Most these days use Instagram/Snapchat to follow things they like.
I think having someone whose role is to keep up with these changes and reach teenagers is a good idea.

Like all things people migrate to what's cool and new, Facebook is still going OK but Twitter has always struggled as a business. My point is for anyone technical savvy it's not real hard to keep up with newest app trends, most are basically a remake of previous so strategies don't need to adjust much.

So you have basically said what you said in your first post, still with no substantiation (particularly the rotary club allegation).

You may well be correct, but we are hardly giving her control of the club, she will likely be a consultant on the younger female demographic, something she is obviously qualified for. She is joining a board, not chairing one.
We were never going to put Holly on the board when he had to put the googie egg back together again and reunify the 2 Port clubs and fight the SANFL over that, have to get a new stadium and new stadium deal, find national and international long term corporate sponsors when we had none, get our independence from the SANFL, find a new coach, find a new CEO, find a new President, find a new board, etc ie those massive structural changes that had placed shackles around our ankles.

The only reason we can appoint her now is because others have done the hard yards to get over the survive stage and we are now entering the thrive part of the cycle.

Like all things people migrate to what's cool and new, Facebook is still going OK but Twitter has always struggled as a business. My point is for anyone technical savvy it's not real hard to keep up with newest app trends, most are basically a remake of previous so strategies don't need to adjust much.
I am sure that is only a small part of what she will bring. Relaaaaaax.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back