News Home base: Caulfield

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they’ve likely explored every single option to get it done near the MCG. We missed our chances years ago. Caulfield is a decent option. Means we can have a base closer to the city and players don’t have to drive out to Casey for training. Considering many would live inner city suburbs. We just need to get it done and catch up with the rest of the competition.

Caufield is fine. If i was a player I'd much rather drive there every day than *ing Tullamarine.
Most Bombers players live northern suburbs though. Most Dees players live Bayside. I see Melksham with his fam all the time down Church Srreet and Tom Sparrow going for runs along Beach Road. Lot of ex players still live in the area also. See Tingay nearly every week. He looks like he could still play too. Looks fit af

Good on them for trying to get the fanbase excited about the idea for whatever reasons

It doesnt affect the vast majority of us so I really couldn't give a s**t if it gets done or not. :sweatsmile:

Good on them for trying to get the fanbase excited about the idea for whatever reasons

It doesnt affect the vast majority of us so I really couldn't give a s**t if it gets done or not. :sweatsmile:
We'll all go down there to gather weekly so they can tell us off for not being loud enough 😂

Just shut up and do it. And win some finals. Too much talk.

I heard Gary Pert on the Deebrief. An added bonus will be 2 x MCG sized training ovals. Apparently other clubs like Richmond and Collingwood are looking at potential sites for another oval given there are now AFL VFL and women’s team for AFL VFL.

I heard Gary Pert on the Deebrief. An added bonus will be 2 x MCG sized training ovals. Apparently other clubs like Richmond and Collingwood are looking at potential sites for another oval given there are now AFL VFL and women’s team for AFL VFL.
What's the bet one of them will try and get Gosch's Paddock!!!!!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Demons secure backing from Caulfield Racecourse Trust to press on with new HQ talks​

Melbourne’s attempts to secure a new home look to be gaining steam, with a move to Caulfield Racecourse in play for possibly as early as 2028.Melbourne has taken a major step towards setting up a sparkling new training and administrative base at Caulfield Racecourse after securing funding for a feasibility study.

The club will ramp up assessments and plans for the site in an attempt to finally bring the club under one roof in the east of Melbourne as early as 2028.
This bit made me LOL a little. 'As early as 2028'. Just in time for Nathan Jones' children to be drafted.

Agree with all. Will get excited when construction begins.

I doubt it. We still want to maintain the links with Casey from my understanding. We also had a 30 year agreement to train there and run clinics etc. I assume we’ll still have some sessions there once we get a new base.
Yep. Signed the 30 year agreement back in 2009 under the Jim Stynes reign.

Demons secure backing from Caulfield Racecourse Trust to press on with new HQ talks​

What looked to be full steam ahead for the Dees in Caulfield could be placed on the backfoot, with the Glen Eira council voicing their concerns.

Melbourne has been warned that a new training and administrative base at Caulfield Racecourse cannot come at the expense of community access to the area after the local council was left in the dark about the proposed move.

The Demons announced this week that they had secured funding to commence a feasibility study which would identify a location for the club’s long term home base within the Caulfield Racecourse Reserve.

However, Glen Eira City Council – which covers Caulfield – was not made aware of the proposal, having long identified the Crown land as a “missed opportunity for broad community use”.

The Crown land is managed by the Caulfield Racecourse Reserve Trust.

Glen Eira Mayor Anne-Marie Cade said while a move by the Demons had the “potential to increase and accelerate investment” in the area, such investment had been “known to reduce community access in other locations”.

Residents living within the Glen Eira council area have the least amount of open space per person in metropolitan Melbourne and there is a major squeeze on community sporting facilities.

“We want to know what our involvement is going to be,” Cade said of the Demons’ proposal.

“We would like to see terms of reference and we need to understand what the intention is here.”

Cade said that large-scale surveys had shown the “biggest priority” for local residents was improving existing open spaces and creating new ones, which there was an opportunity to do at Caulfield Racecourse.

“We have continued to advocate to other levels of government to work with us and the trust to unlock this very valuable open space at the reserve for the use of the community,” Cade said.

“We work very closely with the Caulfield Racecourse Reserve Trust and, like the Trust, we want to ensure that any redevelopment includes new multipurpose spaces to maximise community access.”

In a statement on Tuesday, Melbourne noted that the feasibility study would cover not only the construction of a high-performance facility but also “focus on the community benefits” of the club moving in.

The Demons are hopeful they could call the area home as early as 2028, with the reserve being only 20 minutes’ drive from the club’s home ground at the MCG.

Already looking doubtful. Man we dropped the ball big time not getting in around the AAMI Park area there when it was possible.

I wouldn't be saying 'doubtful'. I have my concerns about Roffey's stakeholder management and communication, but when you read what the council actually says (particularly given they don't really have the control in this situation) and then note what the club said about the community aspect, it sounds more like a communication issue and the council playing politics and stamping their feet for appearances.

It’s a ******* race course , does the council want to put a Luna park in the middle of it . There are plenty of areas in GlenEira to do community stuff , parks and ovals they could community to their hearts content , this sounds like Grand Standing to me .

Seems pretty obvious that you should talk to the Council before announcing everything.
Talking to the council is probably step one of the feasibility study. If the announcement was for an actual physical development, then it would be embarrassing for the club.

Council is coming off as sooks in my mind.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Talking to the council is probably step one of the feasibility study. If the announcement was for an actual physical development, then it would be embarrassing for the club.

Council is coming off as sooks in my mind.

On Pixel 6 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agreed. But that area is filled with prominent people. If they sook enough and get a few of the heavyweights on board, then it's all over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back