Home game attendance grows 10%

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The strategies of the post-Roosistence era (2007-present) must also be called in to question.

1575337505052.png

The importance of on-field success at NMFC summed up in 1 graph.

Conclusion: North Melbourne supporters felt disengaged over several years and poor fixturing exacerbated it.

You have both nailed it. We are withering.

Our recent numbers are at pre- Barrassi era levels of participation.

Tasmania, targeting migrants, getting in bed with politics, the much touted Arden Street redevelopment, all of these things have had zero or detrimental supporter engagement effects.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
*Correction*

The numbers represent the 5 year average for all attendances relative to the particular clubs year in question.

Example: North 2019 = 0.74 of the competitions average for (2014-2018, n = 1.00) = 37% supporter representation.

Of course, the draw and form do impact this significantly. This is highlighted in the ~ 1972-1990 where we had success and only really played in Melbourne where our numbers climbed from ~ 0.63 (31.5%) to ~ 0.90 (45%). The national expansion would also affect this.

The takeaway message is that we must be successful and the majority of growth will appear from the local market.

The numbers are s**t house mate.
I find this a really odd chart.

Firstly, why a five year average, and not just one year, or three years, or ten years?

Secondly, it's labelled as Victorian game attendances but includes home games for Victorian clubs that are not in Victoria. This affects us, Hawthorn, Melbourne, St Kilda, Bulldogs and even South Melbourne. Hawthorn averaged 41,000 for their Victorian home games in 2019, but 14,000 for their Tasmanian home games. Tell me that in itself doesn't make a massive difference to the figures.

Thirdly, it doesn't actually achieve what the poster wants it to achieve, to prove "It's really hard to grow relative to everyone else in a saturated market." For a start, attendances are only one measure of a club's growth, and are probably the worst way of doing it, given it is affected so much by the opposition fan base's attendance, scheduling, timing of the change in home venues, capacity of venues and an uneven fixture.

I agree with Snake's takeaway about being successful and having growth from the local market, but this chart doesn't prove it.

Link here for those interested in the discussion:

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I find this a really odd chart.

Firstly, why a five year average, and not just one year, or three years, or ten years?

It highlights the trending market.

Put it over as many years as you like, it's still not going to be pretty.

Dec 18, 2014
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Pierce & Pierce, Stratton Oakmont
The funny thing is, we are capable of pulling some pretty good crowds. In 2015, there was a fair amount of Blue & White at the Elimination Final V Richmond. During our good run in the first half of 2016, we were pulling more consistent numbers. We've got more supporters than what oppositions flogs like to admit, however the issue is getting them to the Victorian games. I think the solutions are pretty obvious here. The arrival of a new coach, with a refreshing philosophy and down to earth personality will sure bring back those who had given up on Brad Scott. The blossoming of our youth, and a more successful era of footy should also help bring up our numbers. I also believe that if we were to sign a marquee free agent, it would boost our numbers like Geelong when they signed Danger. Overall, it's truly bizarre how our numbers seem to have stagnated whilst everyone around us has grown, but perhaps the new direction the club is going in, can help grow our supporter base, like I know it should.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The funny thing is, we are capable of pulling some pretty good crowds. In 2015, there was a fair amount of Blue & White at the Elimination Final V Richmond. During our good run in the first half of 2016, we were pulling more consistent numbers. We've got more supporters than what oppositions flogs like to admit, however the issue is getting them to the Victorian games. I think the solutions are pretty obvious here. The arrival of a new coach, with a refreshing philosophy and down to earth personality will sure bring back those who had given up on Brad Scott. The blossoming of our youth, and a more successful era of footy should also help bring up our numbers. I also believe that if we were to sign a marquee free agent, it would boost our numbers like Geelong when they signed Danger. Overall, it's truly bizarre how our numbers seem to have stagnated whilst everyone around us has grown, but perhaps the new direction the club is going in, can help grow our supporter base, like I know it should.

Iirc we played Footscray in a home & away game in 96 that drew 70k. We can draw a crowd but will never be a big club...and I prefer that tbh.

I’d like to see a graph on TV audience. Through fixturing and selling games I reckon our fan base has been conditioned to watching on the telle

Nov 7, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The strategies of the post-Roosistence era (2007-present) must also be called in to question.

View attachment 788432

You have both nailed it. We are withering.

Our recent numbers are at pre- Barrassi era levels of participation.

Tasmania, targeting migrants, getting in bed with politics, the much touted Arden Street redevelopment, all of these things have had zero or detrimental supporter engagement effects.

Out of your proposed reasons for supporter disengagement I'll give you Tasmania.
Migrants and politics are figments of your fevered imagination.
'Migrants' are indeed the only long-term way to grow, given people who migrated here in earlier generations already have a team.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Out of your proposed reasons for supporter disengagement I'll give you Tasmania.
Migrants and politics are figments of your fevered imagination.
'Migrants' are indeed the only long-term way to grow, given people who migrated here in earlier generations already have a team.

1) I honestly don't give two *s about what you think.
2) Please remember this in future

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Bring all home games back to Melbourne.
Rather die on my feet than on my knees.
Fans are being disengaged by having so few home games in Melbourne and also it’s handicapping our chances of getting any new fans.

Bloody running this great club into the ground with this mismanagement

Remove this Banner Ad

Back