saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I bloke rang up SEN's soap box and put forward that Melbourne play some home games against interstate teams at Skilled Stadium as opposed to playing in Canberra. I know nothing about stadium deals etc, but i do know Geelong make a lot of money from their home games due to catering and only having a small ground (less overheards).

So is it worth playing 2 or 3 games in Geelong, or do you think Melbourne fans wouldn't like the idea? The advantage is we could go to a home game in Geelong instead of "home" interstate game.

A suggestion from one of your problem opposition (Freo) would be to see if you can get the same deal as North. There hasn't been a North/Freo game in Melbourne since 2003 (5 years and counting) and not even a North home game played elsewhere. I'm not sure how it is that they have managed to get this, but it must help in not having another guaranteed loss each year. It does however mean North play Freo in Perth every year, but Melbourne seem to cop that regardless.

I bloke rang up SEN's soap box and put forward that Melbourne play some home games against interstate teams at Skilled Stadium as opposed to playing in Canberra. I know nothing about stadium deals etc, but i do know Geelong make a lot of money from their home games due to catering and only having a small ground (less overheards).

So is it worth playing 2 or 3 games in Geelong, or do you think Melbourne fans wouldn't like the idea? The advantage is we could go to a home game in Geelong instead of "home" interstate game.
Rather play home games at the Junction Oval!

We wont get paid by the afl for doing this though because geelong is an established afl town. The afl are paying us to go to places like canberra and brisbane because its a rubgy league strong hold, and they want to develop the game more in those places.

Geelong would be paying us to play at their home (since they own their staium) and i doubt very much they would. Why would they when they get a home game against us at skilled most years anyway, because right now we are one of the few victorian teams that actually wouldnt sell out skilled stadium and leave supporters disgruntled. And playing at the mcg is something geelong rarely do anyway, so i think they would be quite happy with our home game being at the g.

The guy who called SEN was a bit optimistic saying that "13 thousand Melbourne fans would travel there". We can't even get 10k to go to Telstra Dome, what chance have you got of going down there?

Don't give a toss where we play to be honest, as long as it's the best financial deal possible.

I'm not sure it would work. Melbourne fans don't seem to be overly enthusiastic towards attending games at the MCG, which leads me to ponder whether or not they would even consider travelling to Geelong. A large number of supporters are kind of 'casual' in nature, and Geelong may be a stretch for them.

I like the Geelong idea but Geelong pay no rent to the Geelong council for use of the ground....don't think this would work for you guys.

Maybe Casey Fields for a year until your supporters start showing up? No point playing in front of 10-20k if you can get 10 to Casey and not lose as much money. That said, I'd rather the Melbourne supporters turn out in force and at least get 20k to the MCG for ther remainder of the year as it will be more attractive in luring corporate sponsorship.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back