Opinion Home Ground Advantage - when are we going to gain it?

Remove this Banner Ad

TBH I think the crowd along with the players turned up Saturday arvo expecting it to be a walk in the park. The outer was very flat in comparison to if we were playing an opponent we perceive would trouble us which in turn reflects back the the players. We as a crowd need to get behind the team from the get go to get them up and about.

TBH I think the crowd along with the players turned up Saturday arvo expecting it to be a walk in the park. The outer was very flat in comparison to if we were playing an opponent we perceive would trouble us which in turn reflects back the the players. We as a crowd need to get behind the team from the get go to get them up and about.

Brisbane aren’t a team that inspire passion. At the start of the year when you looked at the fixture this was one of those “I’ll go to the game because that’s just what I do each week”. The crowd even had to kind of manufacture a hatred of Luke Hodge the Brisbane player to get some passion going.

Brisbane aren’t a team that inspire passion. At the start of the year when you looked at the fixture this was one of those “I’ll go to the game because that’s just what I do each week”. The crowd even had to kind of manufacture a hatred of Luke Hodge the Brisbane player to get some passion going.
I agree with you although it has importance to the team that we are vocal as Ken mentioned at the Inside PA day

yeah I forgot the whole

"because we are curiously, perversely impatient for Lou Codge to do something stupid at Brisbane so that we have a genuinely current reason to hate them"

in my "Book of Feuds" ledger entry. will update ;)

yeah I forgot the whole

"because we are curiously, perversely impatient for Lou Codge to do something stupid at Brisbane so that we have a genuinely current reason to hate them"

in my "Book of Feuds" ledger entry. will update ;)

I’m not really saying we don’t have a reason to hate Luke Hodge at Brisbane, more that that’s about the only thing currently about them we can find to inflame passion, and that even that’s imported from outside.

Saturday was a fix that failed. * 'em all.

Just once I'd like to have to defend our team against the umpires giving us a free ride. Just once.

There were dickheads on the AFL's Twitter feed actually outraged at Brisbane being persecuted.

giphy.gif

Saturday was a fix that failed. **** 'em all.

Just once I'd like to have to defend our team against the umpires giving us a free ride. Just once.

There were dickheads on the AFL's Twitter feed actually outraged at Brisbane being persecuted.

giphy.gif

It won't happen because a) we owe the AFL $2-$3m and it's in accounts payable not interest bearing debt on the balance sheet b) they have given our bankers a $5m guarantee against our debt and c) we need their money and resources to make China work. So we publicly shut up and don't bag the umpires and the umpiring department. The BS with Dixon at Geelong last year taking 1 or 2 seconds too long to kick for goal, Ken shuts down the public discussion but complains to the umpires privately and then 10 weeks later talks about it being a high price to pay for a 1 or 2 second breach. Too little too late.

So if you want to see change it has to come from us fans and use social media like Trump does, to shock and get the message out there. Somebody with video editing skills and access to vision (who may or may not work for the club) need to make a video of Robbie never getting a free having 20 holding examples and compare that to Cyril, Selwood or any other free kick favourites. Put it up on you tube, twitter, Facebook etc, send the links to the media, afl etc and do a relentless campaign about it so that everyday for weeks it mentioned on radio programs gets on AFL 360 etc.

Its the only way it will change. A bit of humiliation and embarrassment, because logic and fairness doesnt work with a control freak PR spin organisation like the AFL.

If you want it to change, then a bit of the Ron Barassi philosophy has to be used;
If it is to be, it is up to me.

Now back to the main topic - kick *en simple goals at home - put scoreboard pressure on the oppo and you also eliminate the chance of useless dopey umpires having any impact on the result of our games with dodgy frees against us at home. I was expecting one on Saturday. Martin's on the grandstand wing with a minute to go was iffy.

I could be completely wrong but we seem to get constipated moving from 90 pts to 100 pts at AO. We rarely get there by kicking 2 consecutive goals in relatively quick time at AO. Its almost like we reckon first to 100 pt wins and its a bit like a batsmen who gets into the nervous 90's and does strange s**t we haven't been doing all day.

I’m not really saying we don’t have a reason to hate Luke Hodge at Brisbane, more that that’s about the only thing currently about them we can find to inflame passion, and that even that’s imported from outside.

Yeah, it was almost farcical that he was out there in that guise.

Like a concentration camp guard who once would've been an evil bastard but is now a doddering old pantshitter who doesn't who or where he is but people are still baying for blood, etc.

I thought the same, even though we started slowly, and really only played one semi-competent quarter, the crowd really didn't get into the game until it became clear that we were dealing with another super incompetent umpiring display... Felt like a lot of people thought this one would just be a turn up, collect the points & percentage, go home, sort of day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought the same, even though we started slowly, and really only played one semi-competent quarter, the crowd really didn't get into the game until it became clear that we were dealing with another super incompetent umpiring display... Felt like a lot of people thought this one would just be a turn up, collect the points & percentage, go home, sort of day.
Exactly right and as much as we like to believe it or not our energy we provide the team makes a significant difference to how they perform. They are first and foremost athletes however they are also entertainers and feed off the crowd

I'll put my hand up to being a bit guilty of this. I didn't have the usual nerves kicking in on the way to the game. I wasn't necessarily expecting a big percentage boost, but I definitely expected it to be a relaxed, enjoyable day for me and a comfortable win for the boys. How wrong can you be.:rolleyes:

Exactly right and as much as we like to believe it or not our energy we provide the team makes a significant difference to how they perform. They are first and foremost athletes however they are also entertainers and feed off the crowd
The start by the players didn’t help. Crowd enthusiasm is hard to build when the first half of the first quarter was kick a point, watch Brisbane get a goal from the kick in. If those goals had been kicked, the crowd would have had something to get behind.

Other than an outright flogging, not much is more deflating to watch then seeing the hard work to get a shot on goal, not just wasted, but lead to the opposition quickly scoring from the miss. 11 point plays suck dogs balls and we had a heap Saturday.

Is A0 to narrow to play the style of footy we want to play? We play really well at the MCG and when we played at Subi because they are larger/wider grounds.

The start by the players didn’t help. Crowd enthusiasm is hard to build when the first half of the first quarter was kick a point, watch Brisbane get a goal from the kick in. If those goals had been kicked, the crowd would have had something to get behind.

Other than an outright flogging, not much is more deflating to watch then seeing the hard work to get a shot on goal, not just wasted, but lead to the opposition quickly scoring from the miss. 11 point plays suck dogs balls and we had a heap Saturday.
I dont think its a fluke that our 2 best first quarters at AO in 52 games since the redevelopment, have been to the southern end when we have piled on goals quickly and the roar from that end has got to everyone and we keep on piling on the goals and not points.

Everyone around me was the same. Flat at start. Then a little frustrated with our start.....then starting to get annoyed at umpiring. Good 3rd quarter but some poor decisions again late in quarter. Then an awful last quarter hating umpires, us missing so many chances and then the thought of actually loosing by a point. Such an unsatisfying game. But a wins a win.

I feel more confident going interstate these days!

Is A0 to narrow to play the style of footy we want to play? We play really well at the MCG and when we played at Subi because they are larger/wider grounds.
Subi was skinnier 5m, and longer 8m than AO. MCG is shorter 7m, but wider 13m.

My impression is that our supporter base is overly critical and negative when compared to opposition teams. We expect a lot from our team, which is part of the character/culture of the club and is overall a strength not a weakness. But I reckon that can result in a less supportive home crowd, maybe even a crowd that makes the players nervous if they struggle early or if the opposition gets a run on late.

It won't happen because a) we owe the AFL $2-$3m and it's in accounts payable not interest bearing debt on the balance sheet b) they have given our bankers a $5m guarantee against our debt and c) we need their money and resources to make China work. So we publicly shut up and don't bag the umpires and the umpiring department. The BS with Dixon at Geelong last year taking 1 or 2 seconds too long to kick for goal, Ken shuts down the public discussion but complains to the umpires privately and then 10 weeks later talks about it being a high price to pay for a 1 or 2 second breach. Too little too late.

So if you want to see change it has to come from us fans and use social media like Trump does, to shock and get the message out there. Somebody with video editing skills and access to vision (who may or may not work for the club) need to make a video of Robbie never getting a free having 20 holding examples and compare that to Cyril, Selwood or any other free kick favourites. Put it up on you tube, twitter, Facebook etc, send the links to the media, afl etc and do a relentless campaign about it so that everyday for weeks it mentioned on radio programs gets on AFL 360 etc.

Its the only way it will change. A bit of humiliation and embarrassment, because logic and fairness doesnt work with a control freak PR spin organisation like the AFL.

If you want it to change, then a bit of the Ron Barassi philosophy has to be used;
If it is to be, it is up to me.

Now back to the main topic - kick ****en simple goals at home - put scoreboard pressure on the oppo and you also eliminate the chance of useless dopey umpires having any impact on the result of our games with dodgy frees against us at home. I was expecting one on Saturday. Martin's on the grandstand wing with a minute to go was iffy.

I could be completely wrong but we seem to get constipated moving from 90 pts to 100 pts at AO. We rarely get there by kicking 2 consecutive goals in relatively quick time at AO. Its almost like we reckon first to 100 pt wins and its a bit like a batsmen who gets into the nervous 90's and does strange s**t we haven't been doing all day.

The first to 100 points is actually a thing. I can’t remember the article but it’s something like 80% of teams who reach the 100 mark first (the opposition does too, otherwise the stat is useless) goes on to win the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first to 100 points is actually a thing. I can’t remember the article but it’s something like 80% of teams who reach the 100 mark first (the opposition does too, otherwise the stat is useless) goes on to win the game.

The win rate for the first team to reach 100 is even higher if the other team doesn’t get there at all.

Did anyone else notice the Brisbane player pushing our man on the mark as they went to take a kick at half back?

Hawthorn have done that for a while, Fagan no doubt brought that tactic with him from those snipers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back