Opinion Home Ground Advantage - when are we going to gain it?

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with having less advertising and contrivances, that decibel meter bullshit from a couple of years ago was especially horrific, but none of it dampens my behaviour. I still have a few and wreck my vocal cords at most games. So the question still stands, what screw do you want loosened?

1. Let the kids on the ground at 1/4 and 3/4 time for a kick of the footy
2. Turn off some of the electronic signage and bring back the floggers
3. Allow more musical instruments into the game, I miss the odd bugle
4. Cut back on the reminders to report bad behaviour
5. Have family friendly bays and lighten up on the swearing restrictions elsewhere or vice versa
6. More standing areas in the better bays where you can chat, watch the game and have a few beers
7. Cut back on the bloody advertising

Worst thing I've ever done at the footy is run down the aisle to the fence, lent over and yelled at the ump "You're gonna get stabbed campaigner"

I regretted it immediately when I saw 4 kids looking at me in horror. I then had the stare of death from Mrs Wylde as I trudged back to my seat.

lollllll

5. Have family friendly bays and lighten up on the swearing restrictions elsewhere or vice versa
6. More standing areas in the better bays where you can chat, watch the game and have a few beers

1. Nowhere near enough time
2. Just ignore it
3. Yes this would be great
4. See 2
5. I say “f@&k” a lot and have never been reported, so I’m assuming you want the freedom to drop worse with no repercussions
6. AO has one of the best standing areas in the world
7. See 2, 4

So basically you want to say “cnut” and bring your oboe.

Not sure how any of this will help us win more games at home other then shooting an umpire - maim him not kill him - and putting the fear of god into them to not pay stupid frees or miss blatant ones against us.

So it's just less advertising, more swearing and a bugle that you want? After all this debate, I was kinda expecting you to come out with something which made you look like Trevor Phillips from Grand Theft Auto 5.

Just imagine if someone threatened to rape his children he would’ve won the goddamn Norm Brownlow!

The limits would be: (a) the effect on the opponent; (b) the stadium; (c) the time of the game; (d) physical integrity of your opponent; and (e) common sense. Within such parameters, you feel free to LOOK LIKE a bigot for all that I care. You would have a right to do it. Outside of those, you would BE a bigot. That, sorry, you can't be.

Considering your example, if the opponent has children, and they were molested, and/or I'm a child molester, then, I would be stepping over the line — even though I could not know. Otherwise, carry on.

1. Nowhere near enough time
2. Just ignore it
3. Yes this would be great
4. See 2
5. I say “f@&k” a lot and have never been reported, so I’m assuming you want the freedom to drop worse with no repercussions
6. AO has one of the best standing areas in the world
7. See 2, 4

So basically you want to say “cnut” and bring your oboe.

But unfortunately there will be many contenders for the "Flute of Shame"
flute of shame.jpg

The limits would be: (a) the effect on the opponent; (b) the stadium; (c) the time of the game; and (d) common sense. Within such parameters, you feel free to LOOK LIKE a bigot for all that I care. You would have a right to do it. Outside of those, you would BE a bigot. That, sorry, you can't be.

Considering your example, if the opponent has children, and they were molested, and/or I'm a child molester, then, I would be stepping over the line. Otherwise, carry on.

I swear to god you have weirder philosophies than Janus.

The limits would be: (a) the effect on the opponent; (b) the stadium; (c) the time of the game; (d) physical integrity of your opponent; and (e) common sense. Within such parameters, you feel free to LOOK LIKE a bigot for all that I care. You would have a right to do it. Outside of those, you would BE a bigot. That, sorry, you can't be.

Considering your example, if the opponent has children, and they were molested, and/or I'm a child molester, then, I would be stepping over the line — even though I could not know. Otherwise, carry on.

Ah so there is a line in Gremioball!

It’s an arbitrary, convoluted and practically unenforceable one, but it’s a line nonetheless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah so there is a line in Gremioball!

It’s an arbitrary, convoluted and practically unenforceable one, but it’s a line nonetheless.

Your line is as arbitrary as mine.

I believe that 'seeming to be' and 'being' are different things, and that anyone should be considered inocent until proven otherwise. Show me either that there is a better way to deal with the issue while respecting those points or that any of those points are wrong, and I am open to change my mind.

Your line is as arbitrary as mine.

I believe that 'seeming to be' and 'being' are different things, and that anyone should be considered inocent until proven otherwise. Show me either that there is a better way to deal with the issue while respecting those points or that any of those points are wrong, and I am open to change my mind.

An umpire cannot possibly distinguish between “seeming to be” and “being” in the moment. There is no way of knowing if someone actually is a pedophile without personal experience as a victim or perhaps a prior conviction, which if existed would preclude them from the game anyway (because they’d either be in prison or just plain unemployable as no club would touch them), therefore making your system completely unenforceable. So it would still be open slather. The line is worthless.

There is a solid rationale (and some f@&king goddamn respect) behind the current way so it is way, way less arbitrary than yours, which seems to be guided by your own personal feelings alone with no thought for the personal impact it would have or the practicality of its application.

1. No. Post game is sufficient
2. Nothing wrong with the electronic signage. Use some of it to promote PAFC though
3. I prefer the kazoo and triangle combo
4. Yep
5. Yep
6. Nope. Stand and drink in the bar areas
7. Less promos by the announcer guy and gal.

An umpire cannot possibly distinguish between “seeming to be” and “being” in the moment.

No. And that is why it is prudent NOT to judge.

There is no way of knowing if someone actually is a pedophile without personal experience as a victim or perhaps a prior conviction,

No. We can only suspect. That's when prejudices come in play. It is OK to apply them in situation where judgement is impossible. One cannot take them as judgement, though. Notice that we are moving away from the subject, but OK.

... which if existed would preclude them from the game anyway (because they’d either be in prison or just plain unemployable as no club would touch them),

Pedophilia is usually a crime for which people pay a penalty. Pedophile is an uncurable sick person with criminal tendencies. Still, I have no idea about the specifics of the law on pedophilia in Australia or South Australia. So, I have no idea whether a known pedophile would or woudn't be in a football game there.

... therefore making your system completely unenforceable. So it would still be open slather. The line is worthless.

It is not unenforceable. Mostly, it is not imediately enforceable; which is the point, anyway.

On the "worthlessness" of the line, it depends on the meaning of "worthless." The line, I argue, is supposed to act as a social guidance, not as rule for punitive action by civil authorities. My personal line is probably way more restrictive, but I am not the only one person in the world. The line is where I would step in and say "you have cross the line, sir."

Like when an old man said after a Gremio game that "our problem is having to many black players in the line-up." I heard that, but didn't punch him due his age. I simply stated how stupid that comment was. I should gave done more. It still bothers me twenty years after the fact. But that comment is not the same than calling an opposing player a "monkey," for instance.

There is a solid rationale (and some f@&king goddamn respect)

Bring those in. I want to know.

behind the current way so it is way, way less arbitrary than yours, which seems to be guided by your own personal feelings alone with no thought for the personal impact it would have or the practicality of its application.

Lots of thinking. It could be bad thinking, but I actually thought about those issues before expressing my opinion. I am trying to think with you, but I need more than "there is a solid rationale" and "some f@&cking goddamn respect." I didn't ask you to accept my words as final. You tell me why I should take yours. It still looks very arbitrary to me.

wat?

I sit literally in the front row and I don't remember a game where I haven't hurled abuse at an opposition player and/or umpire in a way that would be completely inappropriate in any other setting. And i've never been spoken to by security other than because my jacket was hanging over and covering the LCD advertising boards.

What exactly are you being stopped from doing that you should be allowed to do?

The answer to this question is almost always 'racism'.

No. And that is why it is prudent NOT to judge.

No. We can only suspect. That's when prejudices come in play. It is OK to apply them in situation where judgement is impossible. One cannot take them as judgement, though. Notice that we are moving away from the subject, but OK.

Pedophilia is usually a crime for which people pay a penalty. Pedophile is an uncurable sick person with criminal tendencies. Still, I have no idea about the specifics of the law on pedophilia in Australia or South Australia. So, I have no idea whether a known pedophile would or woudn't be in a football game there.

It is not unenforceable. Mostly, it is not imediately enforceable; which is the point, anyway.

On the "worthlessness" of the line, it depends on the meaning of "worthless." The line, I argue, is supposed to act as a social guidance, not as rule for punitive action by civil authorities. My personal line is probably way more restrictive, but I am not the only one person in the world. The line is where I would step in and say "you have cross the line, sir."

Like when an old man said after a Gremio game that "our problem is having to many black players in the line-up." I heard that, but didn't punch him due his age. I simply stated how stupid that comment was. I should gave done more. It still bothers me twenty years after the fact. But that comment is not the same than calling an opposing player a "monkey," for instance.

Bring those in. I want to know.

Lots of thinking. It could be bad thinking, but I actually thought about those issues before expressing my opinion. I am trying to think with you, but I need more than "there is a solid rationale" and "some f@&cking goddamn respect." I didn't ask you to accept my words as final. You tell me why I should take yours. It still looks very arbitrary to me.

Racism, homophobia et al is seriously harmful behaviour, it often wrecks victims for life, regardless of whether the perpetrator personally considers their (completely unnecessary) actions to be racist, homophobic etc. Frankly their (i.e. your) intent or opinion on the matter is f@&king irrelevant. It also shows a lack of intelligence and imagination IMO, but that’s just a side gripe of mine.

Anyway if you don’t want to see the obvious folly of your position that’s your business, but equally it’s not my job to hold a big red arrow pointing towards it.

Worst thing I've ever done at the footy is run down the aisle to the fence, lent over and yelled at the ump "You're gonna get stabbed campaigner"

I regretted it immediately when I saw 4 kids looking at me in horror. I then had the stare of death from Mrs Wylde as I trudged back to my seat.

So... where did you stab him?

I've been there.

I've been the umpires son listening to good dad cop it from all and sundry.

Sent from mTalk

From my cheer squad days I remember singing a song about stabbing the opposition supporters. Those were the days.

Not as hard core as you.... but yelling at westhoff that he was playing like betty white

Remove this Banner Ad

Back