anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
It was great to see such a turn out on Saturday at the home of West Australian football.Paper said 10,000 but me thinks they sold the crowd cheap.My estimation was closer to 13,000.I went into the Bulldogs club at half time and you couldn't move.South must be very happy for the extra revenue.I don't know if it was just me but the crowd seemed very subdued,not like a normal Dockers crowd.But a great result for the Dockers, South and Fremantle in general.

Balip

Team Captain
Mar 13, 2001
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo
Don't know about the home of football bit but anyway..

I was a great turn out to a scratch match. I would have said about 10 or 11 thousand.

The crowd was a bit subdued but I suppose when you dominate like we did and the footy wasn't outstanding its understandable.

It was great to see them playing footy at Freo oval. We decided to go because it was at Freo if it had been at subi we would have given it a miss. (theres nothing worse than going to subi when theres 3 or 4 thousand there)

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
I saw a quote from a Victorian wrag and it said 14 thousand. Not bad overall, although I must agree the crowd was quiet.

Saw the Collingwood coaching staff climbing off the roof and a couple of the Bulldog supporters were giving them heaps. The general comment of passing punters was "luck it wasn't Laidley, he'd take the mob on".

Good to see the "knobs" on the Freo balcony really put themselves out (not) when Luke Webster was carried off just below them. There was silence when he was carried off there, don't want to upset my wine and food hand.

Balip

Team Captain
Mar 13, 2001
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo
We sat on the outer just around from the scoreboard going towards the goals at the oposite end to the hospital end. (i forgot what its called)

For me Subis the home of football in this state but thats because I barrack for Swans and Im not really old enough to remember the derbys at Freo oval before the weagles came into the comp.

anchor man

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2001
Success WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dockers ∧South Fremantle
Fremantle end.Agh you don't know what you missed not being there when they were hanging from the rafters at some of the Derbies.It is the ground which has the greatest atmosphere of all grounds here in WA.I can still see TI taking out Rotten Ronnie Boucher in front of the members and Ronnie didn't play for the next 6weeks.AGGHHH the good old days.

S.J Rollin

Team Captain
Feb 1, 2002
Lathlain
AFL Club
Fremantle
Originally posted by anchor man
l I can still see TI taking out Rotten Ronnie Boucher in front of the members and Ronnie didn't play for the next 6weeks.AGGHHH the good old days.

I think i still have the footy budget stored away in the shed from that game... it was the longest haul in WAFL footy downstream from Basso to the river mouth. The helmet heads of Narkle and big Basil.
I was part of the 21,000 when Swannies hosted the Cardies and that was pretty big. Sa

S.J Rollin

Team Captain
Feb 1, 2002
Lathlain
AFL Club
Fremantle
...(technical glitch)
Think I saw about two or three of the Perth derbies pre-1987 (courtesy of friends parents) and only managed to get to the Home of Football once in that time to see the Bulldogs host the Sharks/ Old Easts. "Hanging from the Rafters"... aint that the truth.

Back