3 Ruth, B 2503 8399 714 .342 .
4 * Rodriguez, A 2784 10566 696 .295
5 Mays, W 2992 10881 660 .302
6 Griffey, K 2671 9801 630 .284
7 Thome, J 2543 8422 612 .276
8 Sosa, S 2354 8813 609 .273
9 * Pujols, A 2484 9367 601 .307
10 Robinson, F 2808 10006 586 .294

Noticed A-Rod is nearing 700 and Albert Pujols has passed 600.

What are the futures of both of these ie game longevity? and do other stats raise them or lower them in your eyes . A-Rod is 200 games and 66 HR behind Bonds. He would need to go past Bonds in games played to get close imo.

Pujols is 500 games or 3 seasons behind Bonds. Can either of these play long enough and good enough to go past? Pujols would need to average 55 HR seasons , while A-Rod needs 2 good 30+ HR seasons

Will they?

Thome was on the juice....trust me.

Only clean ones on there are Aaron, Ruth, Mays, Griffey and Robinson
Aaron has admitted in the past that he'd taken amphetamines or greenies in the past. I doubt it would've been as prolific as Bonds, Sosa et al but there could be a case for an asterisk next to his name. Thome has admitted he used enhancing substances during his career as well. Ortiz and Mantle have both used before although their names rarely come up.
I think Ruth, Mays, Griffey and Robinson were clean. Of the next batch to challenge for the most hr's, Stanton is the most likely as he has time on his side and already has significant numbers up, as long as he stays on the field. Miggy has maybe 2-3 years left, Trout, Harper and Manny all have time but are less likely considered sluggers than all rounders.

When dealing with the PED era in baseball - do we assume that the pitchers were all on the gear as well? How do we account for that?

I generally don't care. As you say, it was a free for all. I still respect that you have to connect with the ball before you put it out of the park. So I'm non-plussed

Aaron has admitted in the past that he'd taken amphetamines or greenies in the past. I doubt it would've been as prolific as Bonds, Sosa et al but there could be a case for an asterisk next to his name. Thome has admitted he used enhancing substances during his career as well. Ortiz and Mantle have both used before although their names rarely come up.
I think Ruth, Mays, Griffey and Robinson were clean. Of the next batch to challenge for the most hr's, Stanton is the most likely as he has time on his side and already has significant numbers up, as long as he stays on the field. Miggy has maybe 2-3 years left, Trout, Harper and Manny all have time but are less likely considered sluggers than all rounders.

Hadn't seen Thome coping to using steroids publicly.

I guess I am not sure where I come down on the use of amphetamines.

If we include them, a lot more records become suspect--including Peter Rose's hit record.

I don't perceive them as "performance enhancing" in anywhere near the same way as steroids.

But that does open up an interesting debate and I am certainly willing to listen to arguments

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hadn't seen Thome coping to using steroids publicly.

I guess I am not sure where I come down on the use of amphetamines.

If we include them, a lot more records become suspect--including Peter Rose's hit record.

I don't perceive them as "performance enhancing" in anywhere near the same way as steroids.

But that does open up an interesting debate and I am certainly willing to listen to arguments
Wasn't Ruth using bennies in the day? Or was it just copious amounts of alcohol?

Wasn't Ruth using bennies in the day? Or was it just copious amounts of alcohol?

Best story about Ruth I ever heard was when they were playing the Cubbies in the Series and some of the Chicago contingent felt their best shot was to take him out the night before the game and tie one on in an all nighter.

Next afternoon the Babe is having himself a game and as he rounds third base, yells into the Cubbie dugout---what time you fella's taking me out tonight??

No idea if it's an urban myth....but I just want to believe that story. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back