Opinion Home Strip - What a Joke

Remove this Banner Ad

So Cats play Tigers soon.

Last time I checked the Cats plenty of white in their guernsey and the Tigers do not.

It's Cats home game but according to the AFL that doesn't matter - it's light v dark, hence Cats must wear white shorts and Tigers black.

Lets see what happens.

So Cats play Tigers soon.

Last time I checked the Cats plenty of white in their guernsey and the Tigers do not.

It's Cats home game but according to the AFL that doesn't matter - it's light v dark, hence Cats must wear white shorts and Tigers black.

Lets see what happens.

Geelong generally do wear white shorts.

Didn't against us in our home game.

Lets see I guess mate - they should be that's for sure.

Yeah. They wore a “clash” jumper which had extra blue in it. We wore our home guernsey.

I’d like to see Geelong wear blue shorts and Richmond white. And we do the same in a few weeks.

Totally agree. Exactly how it should be.

So based on Geelong's kit today, we won't be wearing blue shorts vs Richmond.

Next week should be interesting. Will Geelong wear their clash jumper with the blue back panel and white number at their home game? By rights, they should be able to wear their regular jumper and blue shorts, and we should have to come up with something that doesn't clash.

Based on not wearing blue shorts against Port or GWS, I'd say we won't be as well. But navy shorts against a black team is very different to blue shorts against a black team - Richmond wears a clash jumper away against Adelaide but not West Coast for sound reasons (not Carlton either, for much less sound reasons, but hey...).

Worth noting that the last time we wore blue shorts home with a white-based jumper was against Richmond - Shaw's first game as senior coach, R11 2019, in our Indigenous guernsey. Clearly viable then, no reason it shouldn't be again... but I guess we'll see.

Next week should be interesting. Will Geelong wear their clash jumper with the blue back panel and white number at their home game? By rights, they should be able to wear their regular jumper and blue shorts, and we should have to come up with something that doesn't clash.
Standard practice in most North/Geelong games in recent history (last 15 years or so), including our home game earlier this year, has been for the home team to wear white shorts and the away team a blue-based alternative strip. So we wear our Indigenous jumper, with blue shorts, possibly? I'd be okay with that option, and I prefer that sort of mutual arrangement in general: 'home team picks first and away team has to not clash with that' should be a fallback position rather than the starting point for clash policy, IMO.

What worries me is that the main exception to that pattern in North/Geelong games was when our clash was the lighter 'Argentina' kit. So what we could well see - and I really hope not - is Geelong in their proper home kit with navy shorts, and us in the white-heavy cartoon kangaroo strip...

I'm fine with white shorts at home for the Geelong matchup, and also white shorts every time we play the Bulldogs, home or away, and maybe the same for West Coast since their clash jumper isn't really a solution. The problem is that we're now wearing white shorts as a default in home games, even against sides where blue shorts wouldn't create any kind of clash. there's just no reason for us to have worn them against Port or GWS and you could make a pretty strong argument that we didn't need them against St. Kilda, Carlton, or Freo (although it's acceptable since those were away games) since none of those sides wear royal blue and our shade of blue isn't dark enough to clash with black, navy or purple. I'm fully expecting that we'll once again wear them, completely unnecessarily, against Adelaide. If they're concerned that navy blue looks too much like royal blue, then put Adelaide in their red jumper!

This is such a weird situation. It feels completely punitive, like the AFL wants to force every club into a neat little dark home/light away policy, and the two clubs (us and Geelong) who weren't willing to bend to this completely pointless decree have to be made an example of. And you can guarantee that if Collingwood still wanted to wear their black stripes on white in home games, it wouldn't be a problem.

Yep, we won't be.

Whole thing is a sham as per AFL policy on everything really.

I can almost understand that with Geelong since navy blue is close to black and it looks black on a lot of displays, but that doesn't apply to royal blue. They seem to have just hit ctrl+v with the Geelong clash policy, ignoring that difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back